3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A little bow help please  (Read 185 times)

Offline Tom L

• Trad Bowhunter
A little bow help please
« on: October 27, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
Hay, Aint been around in a while. I am looking for a bow. I want a longbow but how long I need is the question. I draw 27" and am wandering if a 60" bow would be to short.I have never owned anything shorter than 64". Also what about the Thunderstick's?

Tom
Gal. 2:20 Let Jesus Live

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A little bow help please
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
Just one opinion, but if you're talking RD's, it's a bit short.  If you're talking real longbows, it's 4 or more likely 6 inches short.  You can get away with shorter on the R/D's with their curves.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
I draw 26" and shoot a 52" R/D long bow by Mike at Maddog bows. Shoots fast and smooth,no stack or finger pinch.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »
It's all going to depend on the design of the bow.With a Centaur or Shrew you could shoot even shorter than 60".Never shot a Thunderstick.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
It really depends on the bow and what you are going to do with it.  A high performance R/D longbow designed for short lengths like our Phoenix is fine at your draw and it's 54".

But I wouldn't stand out on the target range and shoot 90 meters with it.  For smooth and long range, I'd take a 66" R/D and shoot all day.

Don't get caught up in I gotta have it short if you don't really need it short.  A 60-64" bow is just as handy as a 56" bow when hunting on the ground or even tree stands.  From a blind I prefer a shorter bow.

Well that should muddy the water some.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
And....a longbow gets shorter as you draw it back to anchor; a recurve gets longer as you draw.  8^).
It's true.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©