3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf Sit and Climb--No love loss here!  (Read 866 times)

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Lone Wolf Sit and Climb--No love loss here!
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
I tried my hunting partner's LW sit and climb this evening. I must say, I was thoroughly disappointed. It was very difficult to get the lower platform level once 20 feet in the air. The seat was quite narrow as well. I think if I had a layer or two under my KOM hillbillies I may still be out there-STUCK!

Now my reel beef with this stand. I was wearing a pair of Danner Canadians this evening and I had trouble keeping my feet under the foot bar as I climbed and descended. What gives?? Please tell me I am missing something here.   :rolleyes:  

I will give credit in one dept.--It is very quiet while climbing.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf Sit and Climb--No love loss here!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
As far as the platform level.....you kinda have to get the knack for estimating how much the tree thins out where you want to climb to, and start out with the appropriate tilt up at the start.....At least that's how I've done it for about 12 yrs. with my hand climber version.....

When climbing, I stick the toe of my boots into the side "tri-angle" created by the side rail and the locking hinge as they come off the platform....much easier way to climb and control the platform!  I've tried the other way, didn't like it....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
Yep.  A lot of folks think you're supposed to put your feet under the crossbar.  Not so.  Just about impossible and quite dangerous to do it that way.  Supposed to put the front part of your foot/feet in the triangle formed by the vertical brace and the diagonal bar that holds the cable.

Wouldn't hurt to check out LWs website.  They explain how to use the stands there.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
What Curt said... It takes some practice....
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
Can't wait to try my new LW hand climber later this week!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
What Curt said....plus I use a bungee cord around  my heels to keep my platform from falling out from under me.

And like Curt said...it take a knack for getting the tilt right....and at times I've had to climb back down and change it as I don't like the front tilting down...a little up is ok, but not down at all.

Yeah, the seat is a little small, but I stand most of the time with the seat rotated around the tree and rotate it back around if I want to take a seat break.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
they do sell a "wide" version as well. im a big guy and if i decide to buy one, thats the one to get. i think its another 3" wider.

gaff
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
I was gonna buy the seat climber model, but thankfully the young man I was buying it from warned me about the seat being too narrow for a big guy. I bought the hand climber version and I really don't know how anyone can climb without adding strap to sit on. It works well for me with it. I also sit on the strap and adjust the stand if I'm climbing a tree that tapers severely. I wear a safety vest going up and down.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
You guys that are having trouble climbing with the hand climber....

How do you climb with it?

Do you rest your elbows on the seat and pull up your legs/stand?

Or do you use the climber above your head and do it "pull-up style".....because the latter is tough for anyonethat's not in tip-top shape.

Climbing with your elbows rested on the seat/climber and pulling up your feet couldn't be any easier....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
They now make a sling aid for the hand version...just seen it on the website.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
The tilt  problem is there with any treestand, not a lone wolf problem. My size 10.5 mucker boots, which are big fit in the designated spot just fine, and as far as the seat too narrow, you can either buy the wide seat, or lose some of that big butt !
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
Guru, I can't get both elbows on the seat its too narrow. I have used hand climbers on other stands without any problem. Thats why I added the web strap, now Lone Wolf offers one so I guess I must not be the only guy with the problem. Love it with the strap though.  :)

Offline bayoubowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
Got to practice getting the platform level set up prior to climbing. This true with any climber though. Ditto to what was said above as far as foot placement, toes out at an angle.  I have the hand climber and like Guru said, I rest my elbows on the platform.

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
I'm 6'5" 275 pounds size 13 boot- I have no problem using my LW hand climber at all, the more you use it the more you will like it! I use my elbows and drag my log legs up etc... the starting angle is a little tricky but you will get used to it. I've had a lot of stands and this is a good one as far as climbers go, wouldn't mind trying the sit strap although I would think I could cover more tree with less caterpilling motion standing rather than sitting. Good luck!
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
I bring the climber way up till the strap is under my backside, then rest my weight on the strap and lift the platform with my legs not too much sitting.  Right Trail how do you place your elbows on the climber??

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 01:09:00 AM »
Well, I grab the belt with my hands and tuck in my elbows on the seat, grunt a little and pull my legs up! I suppose I use my forearms more than anything else. I always wonder what the deer think when they see me climbing up a tree- hah lol, last time out I was about half way up and a deer spooked ran around about 20 yards or so and just looked at me like, what in the hell is that thing doing?
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 04:01:00 AM »
I put a strap across like the older Summits used to have and use the bungees for my heels.  I also climb using the pull up method since it is much quicker and quieter.  I can get up over 2ft each pull.  I usually keep one side locked and only adjust size on the opposite side.  If it is a tree I have set up in prior, I take a girls hair thing with beads and wrap on the belt to act as a stop.  I think it is the bigger seats and huge penthouse looking treestands that will get deer to look up in trees constantly.  The hand climber from Lone Wolf is not for everyone especially those who want living room comfort.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 05:37:00 AM »
I think you should hang tite and practice with that LW. I've tried a bunch and LW is the best. It's light fast and easy to use once you get it down. They never make a peep unlike some creekers out there. I have size 13 EE shoes and they fit in the triangle so any boot should go. Good Luck

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 06:40:00 AM »
I didn't care for the bottom platform so I use a Summit base and a LW top. I rest my elbows on the seat and climb.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »
It's actually pretty easy to adjust the belt length on the platform with the hand climber.  If I get up a tree and need to shorten the strap I just set the seat pretty low (around chin height) and sit on it facing the tree.  Then you can easily put your feet in the triangle and reach down and adjust the strap.  Don't know how easy it would be with the sit and climb though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©