3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lone Wolf Sit and Climb--No love loss here!  (Read 870 times)

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lone Wolf Sit and Climb--No love loss here!
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »
Leatherneck,

You have hit the nail on the head. I will be using my API base in conjunction with the LW top next hunt. In fact, before I  thought about trying the LW sit and climb I was on there web site looking at just the new wide LW top. Seemed like a good combo.

Thanks to all for providing some insight. I am typically open minded about things but this had me frustrated from the start. I watched part of the video prior to going out but then was ousted from my Mac because my daughter had homework so I could not watch the rest! I will check the rest of it out, I am curious about the foot triangle.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 07:22:00 AM »
Compared to many other climbers the LW is just not as good when it comes to going up and down a tree.It does have many good qualities and I like mine for those reasons but I have had many other climbers that climb a lot better.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
In my opinion the LW hand climber isn't near as easy as the other's out there...I have wide shoulders and bringing my elbows in to get them on the seat is very uncomfortable indeed...my summit hand climber (cobra) is much wider for my arms and much, much more comfortable to climb with and sit in.  LW has their redeeming qualities in the weight, and packability but flat out do NOT compare in comfort to some of the other brands.  My .02 anyhow.  Good luck with whatever stand you choose - be safe!

Cook
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
Great thread.  I have learned some good techniques.  However, the most important thing I've learned is when I am in or going thru  Nebraska, I want RightTrailWrongTime on MY side!!!    :archer:

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
I think the lone wolf is the best by far.But i sewed the seat up on the sit and climb to be level with the frame.So a big guy doesnt get stuck.  :biglaugh:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
I think it's very quite and well made stand but the design needs some work even the big sit and climb you still sit a little to close to the tree when climbing I guess it works ok if your 5'6"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
Love my LW climber - not much more can be elaborated on that has been said. Just takes getting used to.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
Love mine.  I can have it on the tree, up to height and be all buckled in, in just a few minutes.  I have the hand climber and it took a few times when I first got it to get used to it, but I can go up and down a tree easily now.  I kinda use a combo of my stomach and elbows when I climb.  I can tell when I have been using it a lot because my fat stomach muscles are sore.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline PhilNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
I used to go back and forth between an old loggy Bayou and the LW, now I use the LW most of the time. I took a carabiner and a big strip of seat belt type material and attached it to the front corners of the hand climber as a step through butt strap and sit and climb. I put an extra foam pad on top of the old one to make the seat thicker. Across the seat I strap a short bungee and after I place the seat I bungee in the rubber belt so the seat can't slip. I also bought a cheap backpack with a waist belt and tie wrapped that to the bottom of the stand for a better cary strap. I mount the teeth down instead of up like it came so if I fall they don't hit the back of my head. The more I use it the more I like it. The quietest stand I have ever used.

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
I have used a few different climbers, and have settled on one called "The Equalizer". It has a screw device that levels the platforms. I found it to be sturdy, lightweight, and easy to use. Just my 2c worth. Ben

Offline Abram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
Well I must be one of the few that places the hand climber over my head. I let my upper body hang and then just pull my feet behind me. I tried using my elbows but that felt really awkward and kind of scary to me. I may revisit that style in the future or perhaps get me a sit and climb top half.

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
I get upto where I want the stand thensit in the seat and wrap my legs around the base platform. tilt it up while holding with your legs undo one side of the traction belt and adjust as needed. Takes some practice but it can be done. Dont forget to safety strap in while adjusting. I've got mine for sale  becauseof the weight issues of dragging thatt thing around. Irish has convinced me to hunt on the ground this yearand it isn't going too badly.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
"Tilt problem"

I bought a Equalizer this summer and used it for the first time this past week.  When the stand starts to tilt all you have to do is crank it level again.  

Slickest thing I have seen in treestand design and am absolutely happy with mine.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
Yeah Curt....I put it over my head as I can get up faster by making large gains upward that way.

Although...if you climb twice a day for 3 days, the joints in my fingers get to aching...so I use some pipe insulation.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
Lots of remarks here about the hand climber are a little on the negative side regarding comfort and ease of climb.  I have used this stand exclusively and found it to be much easier to set up and climb with than any others I have used.  As I have stated earlier, the addition of a strap closer to the middle of the stand where you have better platform balancing seems to make climbing quicker and quieter than as shipped.  I do 8 pull ups and I am about 20 ft up.  Anyone wish to sell me one cheap?

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
I have had a Lone Wolf sit and climb for many years. Just updated to a new one last year. I am able to level the stand after climbing if needed by sitting on the climbing bar and pulling the lower part up within reach with the side straps. Then I hold the lower part between my knees while I shorten or lengthen the toothed belt. This is pretty easy to do.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
Thanks Bill, I will give that a try.

I appreciate everyone's insight both negative and positive. The information that is offered here is priceless regardless of the topic! What a great place to be apart of  :)
Kevin Osworth

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
Here's another neat trick.  Get some 1/2" wide banding material the length of the exposed part of the belt when the stand is packed up.  Get a piece of shrink tubeing and stretch it over the exposed belt.  Slide the banding material between the shrink tubeing and the back side (opposite side of the knobs or tree side of the belt).  Then heat the tubeing up and shrink it.  This stiffens the belt a little, adds practically no weight, and makes it climbs a little easier by "getting out of the tree" easier.  I hope this makes some sort of sense, but it really helps and I only do this to my platform strap.  If anyone is interested I can probably get some pics.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
Pics please Ethan. I keep watching the video on LW web site. It sure is simple to go up a telephone pole that is uni-formally shaped from bottom up. Anyway, I am interested in trying the hand climber now. I like the NEW sit and climb strap that they have added. Anyone care to comment on how comfy the seat is on the hand climber? I sit probably 25% of the time while hunting. Again--Thanks!
Kevin Osworth

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
The Timbertall is adjustable to level out the seat and or platform once you get to the right height in the tree, No guessing what will be level 10-15 feet up the tree. and weighing 12- 14.5#. You don't mind  scouting a bigger area and putting up the stand when you find something that looks interesting.I have a baby lite and a Brute lite should be here Monday.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©