3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TX Buck Running 'The Script'...  (Read 485 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
TX Buck Running 'The Script'...
« on: October 27, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
I'd like to thank Buff for allowing us to use part of one of his latest videos to show this....and Tom Mussatto for dissecting it and adding the graphics.

A little set up for the clip...

I remember the 1st 3 shots I took at TX Bucks years ago and I 'thought' I aimed low enough and shot over them all.  Since then I've forced myself to aim under them.  

Last year at Solana Ranch we had 17 hunters and I told them all where I aim before the hunt started and boy did they listened.  The 17 of us TradGangers broke the kill record set by the ranch in 3 days that was previously set by 23 compounders in 4 days.  We also brought in 2 more bucks and 3 more does the last day...I think it was 3 more does, not sure, but the guides were sure impressed with out results and recovery rate on day 3.

Anyway....I aim UNDER the deer just like in this video but about 3 inches further back(to the right of the red square) as they can wheel away farther and I like to make sure I stay clear of the shoulder and the shoulder is very hard to penetrate while in motion as it is 'rolling with the punch' and robs your set up of energy. And, even if you do you can make a not as lethal hit as you would like and exit the front of the chest making for a LONG recovery if at all.  However, you can still blow though the chest cavity all day long if they are moving.  And I like big heads since this will be the case, and I want all the blood I can get on the ground on the TX terrain.

Yes, on rare instances, very rare, they wont move, and no harm is done.  And some times they squat and 'scoot' forward and don't wheel, but you still got em cause they squat right into the arrow.

It's hard to make your self shoot under them, but since I started, I've killed an 8 point and two 10s in the last 3 years in a row, along with several does with only one doe not dropping.

I remember Curt Cabrera saying "There was a moment of instant panic just after I released...What have I done?!?!?!, ....but that freak buck dropped right in there at the last split second".

So, maybe this will help those that are TX bound this year....and as you can see from the deer's angle at impact, the exit would will be HIGHER than the entrance...another common occurrence on TX Deer.

Click Here for Clip
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TX Buck Running 'The Script'...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
Thats an impressive amount of movement!
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
Very interesting Terry, I'm off to my friends ranch in the hill country next month. I will be moving there and help with the hunts we'll be offering. This information will help our hunters greatly. Thank you to all involved for taking the time to make this clip.

Desertdude ...soon to be TexasDude
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
Great video Terry.  I saw the original but it's even more impressive with the two dots to reference what "could" have happened.

There is one of the Monster Buck videos from years ago that shows about the same thing.  I think it was the kinda tall goofy guy who shot at a TX whitetail around 20 yards away with a smokin' fast compound and the deer was able to duck the arrow completely.  Them TX deer sure are wired for speed!
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »
First off, Nice Bear Terry..

Terry does make a great point on shooting at them Texas deer low. Mostly from ground blinds, but will also help with tree stand hunters too.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
Holy Moly!!  That is truly amazing!

Thanks for sharing Terry, and to Buff for helping.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
LOL! It's amazing how much advice I've received over the years from out-of-state bowhunters on how to shoot deer to keep them from ducking. There is but one way that I've found to shoot them with trad bows. Shoot very, very low at a relaxed deer at very close ranges. I shot a doe 4 years ago at 18 yards. I hit her in the opposite side that I was looking at when I released the arrow. She'd spun all the way around by the time the arrow got there. I don't shoot slow bows. I've shot three Texas Impala(whitetail) this year doing exactly what Buff does! CK

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
the BIG nine point I missed opening morning... It had a rubbed place on it's side right over the heart. I drew and let down 3 times because I kept picking that spot to aim at ( I was excited). 4th time I lost control and took the shot. Dinged the buck across the top of the back. he did a duck and roll

http://www.buffsblackwidow.com/videos/flatrock12point.wmv

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
Why are TX deer more jumpy?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
No arguement here, just curious.

Is this only true of Texas deer?

I haven't been seeing this up here in Ohio if they are relaxed. I guess relaxed is the key on that one? Oldskool did miss one the other day for the exact reason in the clip, but that doe was spooked before he shot at her.

Cool video and definitely something to remember on jumpy deer!

-Charlie

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
Thanks Terry...I will tell you that I did not aim at the red box when I shot at a small buck opening weekend(just couldn't get myself to do it).

Sure enough...he droped and my arrow did not event touch him as he ran off laughing.   :banghead:  

The best part is that he was only 12yards from me as I sat in a ground blind...  :eek:  

I remember thinking "he is not that fast"....
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
I stated this in another post earlier but is on topic for this tread so hope you don't mind if I tell it again.
 I shot at a very nice 10 pointer two years ago at about 12 yards. I was standing in a cedar tree about 4' off the ground. On release the deer wheeled slightly and rolled heavely away from me as if going to fall over. Because of his reaction the arrow struck the deer about 2" above centerline, entered just under the skin, ricocheted up the ribcage and out the top of the deer's back. Just as if he had gotten a big splinter and none the less for wear.
  I know of another story very similar to the one shared by Littlefeather.

Louis
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
Terry, cool video, how far was the shot? Do you do this in other places or is do you do this only in Texas?
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
I think this trait is real common with Texas deer. Not sure where else you might encounter it but it sure helps to have an understanding of the "attitude" of the deer in any area you intend to hunt.

I killed a nice fat doe down in Texas last winter that didn't "duck and roll". Of course she was standing behind the one I was shooting at who let her friend take one for the gipper.

I sometimes wonder if it is the sound of the bow or the sight of the arrow that triggers this response. Guess I'll never know for sure.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
I don't know how far that shot was as it was Buff's Buck.  I aim like that from 15 to 20 yards...and at the baseline of them if they are inside 15 yards.  

I think a lot of places in TX this is the typical response....but have heard of other places in TX where they aren't so skiddish. Best to ask the locals or outfitter about the attitudes of the deer in the area you are planning to hunt 1st I would suggest.

Yes, all the deer I have killed in TX since aiming low were not 'on alert' and were relaxed.  They had no idea I was there. I do not aim at them low like that here in GA if they are relaxed and have no idea I'm there.  But if they are alert, I do aim like that.

Charlie....I really think its the bow that starts the movement...or any other 'odd' noise that can spook them.  Remember the 2 and a half year old 10 point I was passing on that same night I killed mine?  He bolted when a cough drop fell out of my pocket and onto the chair chair I was sitting in and I was 25 feet up in that tree.  I think you can also find out by running a test the 1st doe by just pulling your string back 3 inches and letting go....I bet she will bolt.  And will likely come back.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
it seems the further west you go in Texas the quicker they are. I have shot deer in Oklahoma that stood there and took it. The deer where I live,East Texas are some where in the middle. Out West, I aim completely off the deer. If I aim at the elbow I usually get a spline shot. The deer in the  video is about 18 yards.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
Gotta agree with ya Buff on the regional differences across the state. I also believe it could be a trait more shared by certain species of deer. Species?

I'm no biologist but I can clearly see two different types of deer in the local areas I hunt around home. It's been rumored that many deer around these parts were imported for breeding stock(high fence deer farms). Many have been intentionally released while others have escaped. I also think there are simply areas where deer species over-lap. Hill country deer are certainly a different physical construction from south Texas deer. West Texas deer look and act quite different than both formentioned species. I'm pretty sure that the central Texas Hill country deer are the fastest due to their smaller physical construction. All this said, I still haven't found one that won't completely duck an arrow at 10-15 yards. When I aim at a deer around here I'm aiming at daylight below the vidals.
 I have found that you'll have less likelihood of ducking as much if I wait to shoot till the offside leg is forward. This is an akward position for a deer to be in to duck down to roll away. Just my thoughts. CK

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
Cool  stuff!

Curtis very interesting observation on the off leg placement. Most of us concentrate so much on the near leg....

Thinking about it though, it makes sence as I believe as well that it would be awkward for them....

My 2 hill country deer from back in January both dropped. But one more that the other as the situation was different.

First was my "Funky Buck". That's the one that I described the "mental panic" just after releasing the arrow. He was dead broadside at 22yds, at "normal jumpiness". In other words not overly suspicious of what might be around.

I drew and concentrated about three inches below and just behind his front nearside leg....first time I'd ever aimed to "miss" at an animal...hence the "mental panic" after release.

Half way there, it was a miss low....but then they came together and the arrow took him just behind the near leg about 3 inches above the body line right in the "pocket"....

It came out here on the off side. Actually a couple inches higher than the entrance because of the attempted "roll away....

The last morning of the hunt, I had a bunch of deer around me, but this time the very high winds had them as jumpy as I'd ever seen. I mean like every little sound or movement had them running, but then they'd come back.

Finally had a doe standing still at about 19yds....but this time because of the situation, I concentrated on a rock just behind her near leg, but at knee level.....

Dropped on the spot from a spine hit and that was aiming at knee level!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
Beautiful animal! Congrats!

Remember the doe I shot that had my broadhead in her skull from the year before?

She was broadside when I shot but dropped and rolled away. Poor gal took it through the jaw hinge, ear canal and stopped just short of exit through the sinus cavity. I had no idea it was her the next year when I shot her broadside at a few yards. I've missed shots at around 6-7 tards due to the ducking. Seems impossible till you witness the heart crushing event unfold. They're no doubt a very worthy opponent. CK

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
I remember it well buddy....good stuff!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©