3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Treestand Recommendations  (Read 338 times)

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Need Treestand Recommendations
« on: October 28, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
All,

Well i about killed myself hanging one of the El Cheapo strap on stands Monday night.  I wore my harness and all so was never in danger of falling but I almost jumped out of the tree out of frustration.  I really have a hard time holding a stand with one hand and trying to run a ratchet strap with the other.  I am up for suggestions or stands that have a more user-friendly strap system.  I like the price of the ones I have but man they are a pain.

Caleb
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Treestand Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
Does your harness have a way to use it like a climbing belt?

I use a SOP which allows me to use both hands while hanging a stand.

Chris

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
A few years ago I followed a thread like yours and followed the majority opinion and bought a Lone Wolf Sit n' Climb without ever using one.
After a few times, I learned how to safely and quickly set it up and use it to the best advantage.  

I do not use a strap-on anymore and just bought a used Lone Wolf Handclimber.

Glad you were using the harness too.
Lon Scott

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »
yeah, I have a SOP harness so I have both hands free.  The deal is that those darn ratchet straps seem like they need two hands.  I hunt mostly river bottom land setting up in old cottonwoods, hackberries, etc..  A climber is not really a good option.

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
You need to look at the Chippewa Wedge-loc stands. They are pricey, but they are the easiest to hang and best built stand on the market.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
I second Chippewa Wedge-loc
Tom

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
summit

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
Check out the screaming eagle boss system. You chain the bracket up in the tree and plug the stand into it. They run about a buck and a half.
e-screamingeagle.com

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
I've gone to using a bow hook or step to hang the stand on while I attach the strap or chain and it works great.  This has really made hanging a stand much easier and safer.  Yes, I also use a SOP harness with a climbing rope to allow both hands free.

Most of my stands are Gorillas or a similar design that use a heavy strap instead of ratchet straps.  You get the strap snug, push down on the stand to get the strap pretty tight and then lower the platform.  Lowering the platform pulls the uprights out from the tree a bit and really tightens the strap up.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
The Lone Wolf Alpha is in my opinion the best stand on the market, combine it with the climbing sticks and you'll go in just about any tree that'll hold ya! The seat and platform leveling is awesome, worth the extra money. Oh and don't forget the offset bracket! Pricey but you get what you pay for! They make an EZ hook system as well, but I only used it once, just as easy to hang it without it! I have to take my stands down every evening, believe me when I say I can have this up and hunting in 15 minutes!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
we switched over to almost exclusively ladder stands.  haven't used a climber in years now.  Some of out ladders are quite packable if you are needing to frequently move them.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
Here is what i do, i take a screw in step and put it right below where you want the stand to be placed. Once you pull the stand up in the tree you hook the bottom part of the stand on the screw in step. Once you get the belt hooked on the tree raise it up a little so you can take the screw out. It keeps you from having to fight the weight of the stand so you can concentrate on getting it belted in.  :thumbsup:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
I also use the tree step to hold the stand, I also use a bungee strap to hold it while i do the ratchet. A rope around your waste and the tree free's up your hands.I leave my stands in all year and only take the bottom four steps with me each time i leave.If it gets stolen your only out $35. compared to a $135.nice one.Amen to the disposable stand.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
I really like my chippewa wedgelock but my friend loves his lonewolf.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
Take your stacking sticks and hook on your pull straps to each one. Put them up against the tree your about to set up in. Start with the top and push them all up the tree. Climb and strap as you go up the tree. Once secured climb up with the stand on your back with one strap. Stay down from the top one or two steps on stick. Hook one knee around one step it leaves you hands free for hook up of any type of stand. Once you get it down it's fast and simple.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
Use a stand w/ a chain. Easier to do than a rachet. Also make sure your strap holding you to the tree is tight. You want to almost be snugged up to the tree. Easier to work that way than with your butt hanging way out and trying to reach forward.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 04:54:00 AM »
I like the Screaming Eagle and Lone Wolf the best.  I use a Trophyline Mesh Treesaddle with a Guido's web tether.  I can climb and comfortably hang there and even shoot my bow this way.  It has been my prefered safety belt since it leaves me facing the tree should I fall.

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 05:23:00 AM »
I use the tree step also to hold my stand while I strap or chain it to the tree. Works great for me. Paul<><
Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Offline twoblade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 06:05:00 AM »
I use my game cart to haul my ladder stands in
be cause im by myself most of the time.
I also have a lot of different brands of hang on
type stands most of these i converted to the wedgelok chain system much easier and cheap to convert.
Ron

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©