3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pa Guys, are you seeing any deer?  (Read 923 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pa Guys, are you seeing any deer?
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
Jeff i fish glendale lake(ice fish)  :)  i seen 2 deer so far this season both does. i seen very little sign, and very little rubs and scrapes. also mostly hunting state land. nothing but ticks all over the place they are terrible, been bad past few years! And yes it does get depressing in the woods goin out time after time not seeing any deer! it like your goin through the motions, like play hunting..... our area around here bedford, blair counties esp. on state land are pretty rough... i was so happier earlier this year for my dad who stopped hunting traditional bows due to lack of shooting oportunities at close range(due to fustration with deer hunting around here) with traditional equipment, went back to compound. had his new compound bow for 6 years and finally got his first shot(in 6 yrs. and conected on a scruf 8 point. and he hunts hard, maybe misses only a couple days in an entire archery season. i dont know anymore just get so disgusted even goin out, lol other day i said im goin back to squirrel hunting heck with these deer! Forgive me fauther.... lol but to all you who keep poundin away not seeing any action... keep the faith brothers!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
George i belive you understood my question. as everyone else, and this aint grammer school.

Offline jbuck9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
I hunt monroe and carbon county, been seeing deer almost every day, in the last 3 days the bucks are really starting too come out of the wood work, I shot a 7 point the second Sat, at 7:am
that field dressed at 182# and have taken two doe since, still have 3 doe tags, which a couple are dmap tags,
In the areas I've been hunting there has been scrapes a week prior too the season opening, I know of 7 bucks being killed in the last week one being an 11 pointer, I really do not buy into the 3 or 4 point manage buck idea, guys say its working , I ve seen a y buck or 4 point that has a good 18" spread, and this deer is huge, and Id bet he is 4 years old , I feel buck need too be culled by age and rack size, there was always good racked bucks in Pa. if you do your homework you will locate them.I shot my buck in the rain and very heavy overcast, thats when Ilike to hunt bucks, my 7 point only had a 16" spread but very heavy mass and palmated,
wish every one a great and safe season, good luck too all.

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
I'm hoping with the passage of this cold front that is on us right now with 6 hours of rain will trigger the bucks to run!
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline rambo1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
yes i shot a big 8 pointer but the %$%^& of it is that i saw a buck 8 pointer spotlighting 3 times bigger under my stand so that sucked but my dad will get him ill try posting pics of my buck
Black widow 2007 PSR 2 T/D recurve 60" 48#@28"
Bear kodiak hunter 1pc. 50x#@28" 60" style recurve
Kota Prairie Swift 1pc. 53#@28" 60"
Samick Leopard recurve T/D 50#@28" 60"

Online Jeff Mccarthy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
Brad, Thanks for the update, It is tough on public land, looks like the best deer hunting in the State is in Pittsburgh and Philly areas, that is if you can get permission. Well, I'll just keep at it around home, I do a lot of scouting and am always trying different areas, just can't come up with much, get's me in shape with a lot of exercise. The ticks up this way are terrible this year, I think they too are miserable from the lack of deer to latch on to, so now they have been choosing me.
Black Widow PCHV 55#@28" 58",  Robertson Fatal Styk 50#@28" 60", Blacktail Elite 55#@28" 60"

Online Jeff Mccarthy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
By the way, congrats to your Dad on his hardearned buck!!!
Black Widow PCHV 55#@28" 58",  Robertson Fatal Styk 50#@28" 60", Blacktail Elite 55#@28" 60"

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
LOL Jeff thats exactly what dad says, no deer left for ticks to get on, so there climbin on us! LOL!!!

Offline OldSkoolArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
Hunting Bedford and Blair Counties. Been out a half dozen times. I have seen 3 bucks and a dozen or so does. Nothing inside bow range.
Saw a 6 point this morning at about 75 yards. He had no interest in the grunt call though.

Weather has sucked and when it isn't raining it is windy...

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
I'm not seeing as many does as usual but the past week every one I do see is being pestered by a couple of young bucks. I've got to start following Tim G around. There has been a dramatic increase in the number of road killed deer as well, the majority of wich seem to be young bucks. I think things are really going to pick up here in Chester this week. Good Luck, Greg

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
still  no deer   :help:

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
I hunt southern Clearfield Co. The last few years, it has really gone down hill. This weekend we saw more deer, but hardly anything legal. Same story last year. Gets discouraging. Especially when you think back to what it used to be like. Not a big Gary Alt fan to say the least.
Jim

Offline rambo1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
the 8 pointer i shot was my first trad kill im 16 know 10/3/09
Black widow 2007 PSR 2 T/D recurve 60" 48#@28"
Bear kodiak hunter 1pc. 50x#@28" 60" style recurve
Kota Prairie Swift 1pc. 53#@28" 60"
Samick Leopard recurve T/D 50#@28" 60"

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
Jim id have to say i agree with you on that!    :clapper:

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
Rather than going into great detail I'll just say that it will take an act of God to get me to purchase another archery tag to hunt a handful of deer in the NC area of Pa. As far as I'm concerned the archery season is only 2 weeks long and ends when the inlines start firing on the 3rd Saturday of the season.

just want you thoughts or reports on this year, i know my season has gone pathetic! maybe il tlk about my depressing season l8r... what you seeing?

Pathetic here to. 4 weeks of hunting every day but 2 days has produced a handful of deer sightings. Snow on the ground last week for four days in the higher elevations produced a handful of deer tracks in many different areas of state gamelands and state forest lands. It is truly depressing, but still better than being at work.                :)            

Gary Alt, he's our man
He came to town, and sold his plan
With visions of racks, like the one he waved
We took the bait, the herd would be saved
He said bucks would be bigger, there'd be more to kill
Up there yonder, up on the hill

Our bowhunting org, yelled FOLLOW THE SCIENCE!
And now we have crossbows, that are in compliance
Now here we set, in deerless despair
The plan needs tweaking, it needs urgent repair

With embryo counts, dropping each year
And negative browse impact surveys, yelled in our ears
"Soon" they say, relief will come
Will it be before, there's hunters none?
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tioga:
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
Seeing more ticks than deer

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
Tioga,

That says it all.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
I'm with Tioga!  The state forest borders my property and I don't even hunt it. I have to go out of state to do my archery hunting.
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline ratgunner

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
I hunt public land and am not seeing much.I've been out alot and saw 4 deer so far.All does except for the biggest buck I ever shot at,but I missed.Now turkeys and squirrels are everywhere.
 BTW thanks alot so called Doctor Gary Alt...  :mad:
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow"   "Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©