3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Senior hunters over 62 years old  (Read 1036 times)

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Senior hunters over 62 years old
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
thanks guys for the feedback my checkmate firebird recurve is 50 lbs at 28 inch draw and my actual draw is 29 inches. My compound is a hoyt and set up for 58 lbs.

I was able to sit this morning for 3 1/2 hours and it sure was worth the time. I had a 8 point buck chasing a doe around for almost a full hour. Each time he would push her around the hill she would get closer, I could have had a 20 yard shot on her, but let her pass. He came within 30 yards but I never shoot with the recuve over 25 yards and he never gave be a broadside shot. He was quartering away and I sure wanted to let the shot go. But maybe within the next two weeks he will come on by.

I came in for coffee and lunch and then went back out for another 2 hours. But the rain started, so I came  in. I had a buddy one time shoot a big buck in the rain and we never could find it. So when it starts to rain I come in...

My 72 year old 3D shooting buddy sent me a email and said do not give up, he and his sons will help me up the hills next year at the 3D shoots....So he will be over later on the weekend to hunt.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Bill,

I hate to see anyone "give it up" But most folks remember what "used to be" and are reluctant to make changes. I'm only 49 but I'm not in the shape I was 20 years ago that's for sure!!! Mainly my problem is a "bad back" and I can't sit for much more than an hour or two,so I'm pretty much confined to hunting on the ground. One of the tricks that I started using several years ago,when I found a "hot spot" and wanted to stay there all day was to find a tree in just the right place,then put a seat of your choice at the base of the tree.(I use a 5gallon bucket) Then, I clear all of the leaf litter and debis for 10 feet completely around the tree.That gives me a 20 foot circle of bare ground where I can get up and quietly move around as needed to loosen up the back,get the kinks out and start the blood pumping again. Then,I sit back down for as long as I can.(then do it all over again,as needed)

Another trick is to pick 4 stand locations that are roughly in a square. They can be as close as needed 50-100 yards apart,or as far as you can manage 300-400yards. When you need to get up and move,you can stillhunt from stand to stand around the perimeter,or criss-cross from corner to corner. Mix it up a bit so that a smart old doe(or buck) laying bedded can't watch what your doing and pattern you. The main thing is to addapt your hunting tactics to allow you to still be "out there" as much as possible.

BTW, My Dad is 77 years old and lives over in Middleburg. A double hip replacement has made it completely impossible to walk accross uneven ground. He was never a bowhunter despite all of my proding over the years,but he gun hunts almost every day of the season. He "porch hunts" LOL!!! Actually he is still as "die hard" as he was 50 years ago. He gets up in the morning and gets dressed in his hunting clothes. Then he starts the coffee pot and cooks himself a hot hearty breakfast.(he swears by ham,eggs&toast.Says it sticks with him the longest) Then he heads out to the porch with his breakfast,sits in a comfortable chair with his gun leaning against the railing and his binoculars around his neck. He eats his breakfast and drinks his coffee as he watches the field,hedgerow and woodlot behind the house. If he happens to get lucky,he calls one of the neighbors to come up and get it with a farm tractor and bring it back to the house.

As I have said Bill, I hate to see anyone "give it up" It's just a matter of addapting your hunting style to your limitations. It may not be "how it used to be" but it's still HUNTING!!!!!     :archer:

Good Luck Bill!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline tomahawk953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
there are days i feel the same Bill..but i got some new medicine for this diabetes..the feeling is returning a little in my hands ,but i still can't feel my feet ..so i limit myself to hunting from brushpiles i made on the ground...it works and i'm not done enjoying the woods   :pray:    :rolleyes:

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
DON'T GIVE UP,MY DAD IS 77 YEARS OF AGE.HE STILL LIKES TO BOW HUNT.I TAKE HIM OUT AND SET HIM UP IN BOUBLE BULL BLIND WITH HIS LONGBOW.HE STARTED TRAD HUNTING 3 YEARS AGO,HASN'T SHOT 1 YET .BUT HE STILL GOES A COUPLE TIMES A YEAR.HE STILL SHOTGUN HUNTS.AND WE RUN THE BIRD DOGS 1 OR 2 TIMES AT GAME FARM.[EASIER WALKING FOR HIM].JUST TAKE IT SLOW,AND ENJOY THE VIEW.GOOD LUCK,CHRIS

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by sweet old bill:
At 68 I am just starting to think that I have to call it over with the bow. I stioll am like that kid who can not wait to hunt and work all year long shooting to make sure I still have a good skill base with the bow either the recurve and or the compound. I just like shooting. But now it seems I have all I can do is get to the stand, the legs do not seem to work, I get there and the best I can do is stay in the ground blind for about 2 hours and then walk it. Maybe it also the weather with all the rain, legs hurt, back hurt etc...I have even missed 3 days so far of just not going out in the heavy rain.

My question is does anyone else have the same problems with now staying on stand for most of the day ? Or is my problem just a old age problem.

Bill
Bill,
Since I am going on 66 sure do believe that I understand some of your aches. But then I read an article or a post about how to stalk and realize that in fact walking slower and taking time to breath on the uphill’s is just better hunting strategy. I am not slow, just hunting better. LOL Cannot say what would be best for you, but my intent is that as long as my legs will take me into the woods, I am going to go, good luck and remember to be selective about what you shoot since you have to carry the dang thing out.
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
it's all about your luck with health (and genes, too) over the years and decades, and what you've done to 'stay in shape'.  and how physically active you remain on a day to day basis, coupled with your diet and mental outlook.

i'm turning 64 this december, and dropping down from mid 60# bows to mid 50#'s was a requirement for me nearly a decade ago.  as time do wear on, most any modern stickbow at 45# holding weight can surely take deer, hog, turk and small game.  

knowing your limits is critical.  i tend to stay out of trees whenever possible - i do prefer spot 'n' stalk and building ground blinds.  

i'm far more susceptible to cold and wet, thus clothing and footwear is super important.  

the bottom line for me is that there are many aspects of trad bowhunting to enjoy, even a few hours afield is satisfying these dayze, and the kill is always the icing on a tasty cake.

as always, ymmv!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
Hi...  Scattershot mentioned my recent post re the Big Bad Wolf Hunt.  I'm 71 and handn't bowhunted.  I knew my limitations re walking too far, or any rough country stuff, and limitations re draw.  Tried to crank those into the equation so as to be able to go on my first hunt... flat land (Texas) and animals likely to succumb to my lighter weight bows, i.e. javelina.  As planned, it wasn't a physically challenging hunt and I did fine... in fact, i think I'm in love with javies!   As to bows, don't give up, find the right game...  see the oldpharttsarchery.com site section on "Shoot Lighter, Shoot Longer.   We may not be able to do everything we did when we were 30... or 50, but don't give up.  Adjust as you need to and keep going.  When I was at low ebb, I was shooting 3D with a 19# bow, but I was shooting!  I'm shooting 28 to 32 now, and went up to 42 for the hunt, which was OK for the few shots I took.  I wear my my Old Phartt's tee shirt proudly!

Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Online hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
Dad's 76 now and is usually is out a couple of times a week then also on  Saturday.  Knocks off around noon.  I bought him another ladder stand this year and that makes three.  But he will still use his stick and hang on stand.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
I'll be 68 next month and can sympathize with most of you as far as aches and pains. After reading about how a few of you are, I feel very lucky to be in the shape I'm in. At THIS time my health is pretty good with the exception of being overweight. You that have had bypass surgery, stroke, or have diabetes or some other debilitating disease have my sympathy.

My problem is after retiring, I do not exercise regularly. Before retiring, my occupation required physical labor that kept me in shape. Now I need someone behind me kicking me in the butt to make me exercise. It is pretty easy to sit in the recliner and say "I'll start tomorrow".
I elk hunt every year in Colorado and usually get into better shape for that but I just have to force myself. I still shoot 60 pound bows but not with near the accuracy of yesteryear.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Dooley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
Bill, I know just you feel.  I'm in my 70's, COPD and diabetic with bad knees. I no longer go out on rainy days and only good for about three hours on cold winter days.  I still like being out there with nature, but my hunting is more like taking my bow (or gun) for a walk in the woods anymore.
I was born at night, but it wasn't last night!

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
66 here.  going pretty good but I don't have the killer instinct the I did when younger.  still get all excited when the game is coming.  still get ready for the shot.  still a good shot.  just before the shot I think dang I am gonna have to clean this thing and drag it out.   :) .  think I watch it a while and see how long it stays around.  some time it hangs around long enough, some times it don't.  

I have gone for 65# to 40+#.  

I still love to get out there.  it's just sometimes I forget why I am there and start shooting at squirrels.  easy to clean, easier to carry out and taste better than deer.....plus ya get a lot more shots.

rusty

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
Bill   Hunting is not just done out of trees, or a mile in.  Hunting is what you make it to be.

If two hours is all you can do,  plan on two hours.  Go the first two and last two of the day.  Maybe mosey on out to your ground blind, nice and slowly.  Get there when you get there,  and just enjoy what you can do.

Maybe don't give it up, but just alter your ideals a bit.
ChuckC

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
I'm 67 and I have not been out so far this year only because of a hectic schedule that includes baby sitting 2 grandaughters 4 to 5 days a week. I am stressed simply because I have not had the time to go hunting this year. Aches and pains are just part of life and when you enjoy doing something you just need to make it fun to be out there and that means whatever it takes to make it easier for you to enjoy the experience. The key in my opinion is not so much in getting a deer as enjoying the woods and the experience and if that takes good weather, then go out only when the weather is good.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 12:54:00 AM »
I understand what your saying; I have been down that road and feel better today for a couple reasons. I will share a couple stories with you. First, these are some of the best comments and heart felt recommendations I have read anywhere. Second, Bill C. is right on.

In 1998, I had a bad car accident when another driver failed to stop and pulled in front of me. I hit the front 1/4 panel of his 3/4 Ton truck at 45 mph. Thankfully, I was wearing a seat belt, but was still knocked-out and ended up with neck and shoulder problems. Consequently, I missed a few years because I could not shoot without pain. Exercise and stretching helped and eventually was able to shoot again.

In 2004, I injured my right knee and it would swell up at the thought of exercise. After 1 1/2 yrs it started feeling better, but something happened and it swelled up the size of mellon. Then someone suggested taking Glucosamine - Chondroitin which helps repair joints (according to some sources). It worked and my knee better within a month, but I lost muscle and strength in the legs from not exercising and being as active.

I am back exercising, walking, jogging, biking, weights, stretching and shooting more. I still shoot 54 - 70 lbs and regulary with 66#. I use the heavier weight for conditioning. At 67 I still look forward to bird hunting with my dogs, big game hunting, and fishing. I feel better and can to do things with the kids and grandkids. Staying active is a blessing.

One more story. After my mother got cancer, my dad became less and less active. During the last 15-20 years he was inactive. He loved camping, travel, hunting and fishing. Eventually it was hard to get him out if there was a game on the TV. I decided that was not for me. I would walk rather than sit and read before watching TV. Because I did not live close to dad, I could see a change taking place each time I visited. His problem was not staying active when he could. He lived to be 87, because he never had any health issues and was blessed with good genes. He just hated exercise and aging finally got the better of him.

As others have said, it is a good idea to get a physical before starting on an execise program, and find a personal trainer to help you get started. Hopefully, you will avoid injury, strains etc if you do it right. The body will respond if there is a fire burning. It is still not to late to get started. Good luck Bill.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2009, 05:15:00 AM »
thanks all it good to see other still have the fire, but also the pains and how they are coping with the problems.

I have to concur it seems 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon will be my goals.

I spent a total of about 7 hours out yesterday and it was just one of those days when you expect a big buck to walk out, had ground fog and in the high 40's for most of the day, they got some light rain showers in the early afternoon. I had a group of turkey in the afternoon come off the hill to feed on the cut corn field, they did not see me in my home made ground blind that is brushed in and got about 35 yards away. The spent over 2 hours in the field and then moved off. That about ended my day as we started to get some heavy rain showers, so I packed it in and walked out.

I got out my wool pants and heavy wool check shirt ( back / red )out of it plastic storage box. It smells of pine from the woods. I put a few brances of pine in with the hunting togs...Now I am ready when the snow showers start...

my thanks again to all, I wish all get out there hunting, hunt safe, get a good buck or doe, and most of all good health to all.

Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2009, 06:23:00 AM »
You all inspire me. Im 52 and my knees hurt bad. I take Sinvisc injections in them and that helps.I sometimes wanted to quit because of the pain. The passion of the hunt not the kill helps it more than anything. Maybe I do have a few more years in me. You all hang in there. I like Ron's quote.
"I'm thinking you just gotta keep puttin one foot ahead of the other until you can't lift your foot anymore... "
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2009, 07:07:00 AM »
I was 65 on Sept. 24.  On Sept. 30 I was lucky enough to have a dream come true and shot a 65 5/8" moose here in Maine with home made equipment and a 51 year old Bear Razorhead.  Who would have thought that this would happen at age 65.  The achs and pains seem to go away when I am in the woods.  As long as I can put one foot in front of the other, I'll be out there.  Hope to see you all out there sometime too.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
Well, after reading this site I usually have chores to do. Today I am taking 150#'s of corn out to our property. It requires using a game cart to get it to the canoe, about 1/2 mile paddle and  then getting each 50# bag to its location (it's legal to bait in NH and our property has no natural food....yet). It would be easy to stay home and listen to the political cable stations but it is almost rut time and our trail cameras have seven or eight bucks showing up and most are in daytime! In the morning tomorrow Laura and I plan on being out there at day light. Like I said previously, if you sit still too long you'll be stuck in that spot and regaining the strength and energy to get going does take longer as you age.

I am not saying that the aches and pains most of us complain about are  not real. However, I went to my doc last year as I had really bad leg pain and had trouble just walking across the mall and standing in a stand was almost impossible after 15 minutes so I set all my stands for sitting shots. Well, my doc sent me to a spine specialist who said surgery could make things worse so he sent me to a specific Physical therapist. Within a month the pain that I had been having for five years was gone and now, about a year later, I can stand for an hour in my stands if I want to. One of my personality characteristics is that if someone tells me I can't do something I want to do I find a way to do it.....I guess that is why I bowhunt.....it is a challenge. When my body starts to tell me I have to limit myself I get the same attitude....it just ain't gonna happen so I seek out the pros who can help me work around it or make it better.

I guess all I am saying is that getting old and how you deal with it is a decision just like which bow you will shoot. Aches and pains notwithstanding, not adapting and not giving in to them doesn't help. LIke my mom...her pains made her complacent. Her complacency made her immobile. In my case, the pains I have will probably will be with me till I'm gone so I  have decided that hunting with pain is better than sitting around in pain...the pain is still going to be there so I might as well do as much as I can for as long as i can. My life is full, I share my hunts with my wife (truth be told I get more excited when she does well than when I do). I have decided, if  you haven't already guessed, that while I manage my pain I am not going to let it detract from the things I enjoy. My doc even told me that to stop working out, being active, etc. will only make everything deteriorate to a greater degree.

I have said all this simply to encourage those of you who suffer with the onslaughts of aging to reman active. If you can't walk like you used to learn to hunt suburban deer. One of my most productive stands was a few hundred feet from my neighbor's back yard.

I guess I could go on, but I've got a lot of corn to move around this am. Keep moving and do the things you love.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline barefoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Although I have not quite reached senior status, (58 years old) because of some minor health problems I have modified my hunting. Such as ladder stands instead of climbers and less time in the stand than when I was younger. I think twice now about rainy or extremely cold days etc. I still have the total desire as if I was 20 years old but the aches and pains do come to play from from time to time. I mostly try to enjoy my time in the wood more so than my sucesses.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
I love my time in the woods and will not give it up even if I have to go on hand and knees. At age 67 (68 in march) its not the kill but the process of the hunt that keeps me going. I’ve had a heart valve replacement, a knee replacement. And both shoulders worked on and now my other knee and ankles are giving me trouble. I will not give up. When I go I would like to be in the woods setting on a stump with bow in hand. That’s as close to heaven as will most likely get.  :scared:  

Jerry
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©