3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Senior hunters over 62 years old  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Senior hunters over 62 years old
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
I'm Only 34 and I love it when the wiser older gentleman of the sport tag along (or should I say "I tag along").  It Slows me down and makes me look forward to growing old myself. At this point in life I envy you fellers. Still got the drive and the wisdom is endless and priceless.
Great post and the best of luck to all and I hope you can all enjoy your time in the woods no matter how much or how little till the end of your days.
Kris
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
I too enjoy the inspiration and the true love of hunting by these guys, Im only 47, but know the day will come where I will be facing the same questions. Bill, your not even close to letting the fire go out if you spent 7 hours in the woods the other day ! And the best part is reading about you seeing the buck chasing the doe and also seeing a group of turkeys, Im am learning to enjoy that part of hunting as much (if not more) than actually shooting something. Who knows, maybe on your next time out, you will see two bucks fighting or that buck chasing will run by at 15 or 20 yards, That to me is reason enough to be outdoors and enjoying it !
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
I will be 61 in a few days and every year my legs get a little worse but I wont quit, just keep on going. I can remember my father in law at 90 just about begging me to set him on a stump during rifle season, if his eyes were better i would have...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Howdy Mr. Olmesdahl,
In my 70s, old age and battlefield wounds have finally caught up with me.  Like yourself, I have found it necessary to slow down.  Walking with a hiking staff (actually it is a "fighting staff" belonging to my Wife that she lets me use) provides a great deal of stability and eases some of my discomfort.  No longer use tree stands at all but have always preferred hunting on the ground anyway.  I no longer hike to the next ridge line just to see what is over there.  Nevertheless I make every effort to get out every day that I can.  Can't handle my 65lb HH Longbow anymore so had a 50lb HH made.  Can see a 40lb in my future.  Still, that is better than not hunting at all.
This morning it is 9 degrees (F) and 8" of fresh snow.  Dressing appropriately, fully intend taking a trail walk and look for our small Red Squirrels and Hare.  If I am really lucky maybe a Fox, Coyote or Wolf will put in an appearance.  Will only travel a mile or so and it will take me a several hours of plodding along to do it.  Probably take the flintlock as I have neglected shooting the bow for over a week now.  Just the same it is better than sitting around watching some satellite tv hunting show.
As others have stated: it is better to get out in pain, than setting around the house in pain.  Please, take the time to get out and enjoy what you are able.  All too soon things may be different.
Best Wishes

Offline Mike Gibbs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
I'm 62, but still the same weight I was at 20, and still doing the same amount of stuff outdoors, but I got a little upset the last couple of years 'cause somebody made the hills steeper, the dead deer heavier, and the mornings colder.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
I have all the respect in the world for all of you old farts!  When times get tough and the knees arent working ... Make sure to take the time to take your grandkids, neighbor boys, etc hunting...teach them how to shoot the stickbow, and how to hunt...teach them all the lessens youve learned over the past.  I'm 40 and got started into traditional archery on my own... i've hunted for most of my life with guns and compounds, but less than 5 years with trad gear...I think often of how much i wish i could of started with tradgear as a kid.. and it is you old farts that i love to hear around the campfire and I take in every word spoke.. There is so much to be learned from the fellows that have been there already.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline pine nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »
I'm 65.  Everything is sore the next day but will limber up with movement.  I don't do trees anymore, but I love my ghillie suit and my hunt anywhere chair! I go very slowly wearing the chair mostly and sit down with the chair when I find a good place.  I'm not killing much but time, But I'm seeing a lot of deer and some are close enough to swat with the bow!  I feel invisible.  It is a bit hard to get the shot away without them seeing the movement but I'm working on it!  Good luck!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
"somebody made the hills steeper, the dead deer heavier, and the mornings colder"
Ain't that the truth!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
Turned 66 last weekend. This year it seems that I've enjoyed the preparation and hunting more so than I have in the last few years. I think this is the reason:

Meet Ben. He's the 6 year old grandson that has truly taken an avid interest in hunting and archery. I didn't know there were so many questions to be answered.   :bigsmyl:  

We put up tree stands, made ground blinds (so he can be with me while hunting) and he's a great little person to have around the campfire in the evening. Don't know how he can have so much energy, yet keep it bottled up in a ground blind for 3 hours at a time. Guys, this is what keeps me going!

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline WindWalker-AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
Mr. O'Shay,
You are one LUCKY/BLESSED person!
Best Wishes

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »
I'm 65 and get out whenever I can. Can't do the hills like I used to, dropped bow weight down to 50 and live in a friendly climate. A few aches and pains-so what; it's all good.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
Ric Oshay..thats is exactly what i was talking about in my post ... You are building so many fond memories for Ben.. and i'm sure he will hand them down later ....Ben's a luck boy!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
Ric Oshay......
Thats an Awesome reason to get out there ......
Thanks for passing your wisdom on !!!!
That boy will never forget it !!!!!
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline TomK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Bill,

At 66, I thought I was pretty much finished as an active bowhunter.  On several different kinds of medication, back pains, no stamana, etc.  Then I decided to lose some weight to see if it would help with my knee and hip pain.  On the first of May this year I weighed 219 with a 40-inch waist, and I started dieting and doing isometric exercises.  I just spent 3 1/2 weeks bowhunting in Oklahoma and feel like a kid again.  Climbing trees to hang stands, scouting for miles at a time, I just can't get over how good I feel.  Since May, I've lost 44 pounds and gone down to a size 34 waist.  My doctor has taken me completely off the meds I was taking for blood pressure and choleserol.  I had no idea that the extra weight I was carrying effected my health the way it did.  I'm extremely thankful that I feel so good.  I'll never stop bowhunting until I just can't do it any more.  This is my 53rd year hunting with stick & string.  Don't know how many more I'll be blessed to have, but I'm going to savor every minute!

Tom Kidwell
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Life Member
PBS

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
jacobsladder,
Is this what you are talking about?  The REAL joy of being older.

A couple of sessions of this.....

and this....

turned into this this year....

for my three grandsons.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
Ric O'Shay - Thanks for your post. That was great. I have a five year old grandson, also in Texas, who's long on energy but not quite ready yet to sit for any length of time.  Keep up the good work with Ben and you'll be immortal - someday he'll be telling his grandkids about hunting with you.  

TomK - congratulations.  That's a lot of self discipline to achieve that goal.  

FWIW, I'm 64, have two titanium knees (better by far than the OEM stuff)and plan to keep pushing on, especially with the kids, as long as I can go.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Hawk2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
Tomahawk 953, I have sent you a PM   Hawk2

Offline Swamp Preacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
Sort of late to post, but just stumbled onto this thread.
I'll be 64 come spring.  In the past 5 years I've had both knees scoped, right shoulder scoped, C4-C5 in neck fused and green light surgery for enlarged prostate.  June of 2008 I had the right knee replaced.  During recovery and rehab I got back into archery.  This past year has been great.  Lost 20 lbs., got back active and really feel good. Still climbing trees!  Have to go a bit slower and think things through as I go along.  I was taught to hunt by a group of men who kept at it through their 80s.  Do what you can, walk, don't run.  I use kettle bells for strength and balance... Don't do a lot of anything as overuse injuries are quite common at this point.  Rarely shoot more than a dozen or two arrows.  Hunt all the seasons, which start here mid August and run through February. Then spring gobbler season.  Keep your passions alive... be satisfied to do what you can. Use or lose it.
Peace,
Swamp Preacher
When a man walks in the fear of God he knows no fear, even if he 
were to be surrounded by wicked men. This makes him strong 
and able to take on anything, even things which seem difficult or 
impossible to most people. St. Symeon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©