3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow Suggestions/Opinions  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow Suggestions/Opinions
« on: October 29, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
Hey all,
I'm looking to buy a longbow and would like some suggestions on bows to try or check out.
I am looking for a bow to compliment my 64" DAS, and really want a contrast. That meaning that I want a very solid, high performance longbow with some amount of D/R, but speed isn't my number one priority with this one (though it is of importance). I want a bow that embodies a smooth, sweet shooting longbow, and that is very stable, reliable, and tough.
I'm looking for a one-piece, or a two-piece that looks like a one-piece. I've been looking at the Border Griffon GLs and Harrier Gls, Black Widow PLs, and a few others. Opinions on these bows and others would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow Suggestions/Opinions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
Throw the Wes Wallace Royal longbow into your consideration.  They are sweet shooting, no stacking at all, fast, and he makes works of art that function as bows too.  I just ordered the wife her second Royal and I am going to visit Wes and order my second longbow from him this weekend.

Wes is a great guy, totally customer service oriented, and you will not be disappointed in any way with the bow.  I reccomend the break down Royal. It looks like a one piece, and is reflex / deflex.   Check them out at Wes Wallace Custom Bows.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Brandon Stahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
Schafer?

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
Thanks Brandon, but I'm definitely looking for more of a low wrist grip and a longer bow (64-66"). That, however, is a STUNNING bow!
I'm intrigued by the Wes Wallace...how are they against others (such as the Widow PL) for speed? I've also been looking at the Turkey Creek bows and am VERY interested.

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
I have a Toelke whip classic that I love. Dead quiet, low wrist locater grip, fast, light,he also makes the regular whip thats low wrist with a thumb locater. Mines 64" 51# @32. Cocobolo with juniper limbs, bamboo core. A very pretty bow as well. If you want a bow in short order Mr. Toelke really bangs them out and he is an awesome guy. montanabows.com
Bob

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
Griffin!

this is one of his "stock/show bows"
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
Hornes
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline Mark 507

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
Take a look at the Zach Ferguson Z bows, I have a Z58 and a Z64 they are both great shooting bows.

Online spotteddog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
I am with  bob l try a toelke whip I have one and another one in 12 more days but I prefer the whip with the thumbrest that said you will not talk or be helped by a better guy than dan just my two cents Philip

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »
I shoot Dan toelke Whips, they are smooth drawing, forgiving, fast and exceptionally quiet. The longest I have waited for delivery has been a month and Dan is the easiest guy you will ever deal with. Check out some Whips at  www.montanabows.com,  click on "current inventory" and you will see they are beautiful as well.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
I'll add another vote for Dan Toelke and his "Whips".  Fantastic bows, and an even better man.  They are my favorite longbows by a long shot.  I have/had both the standard Whip and the Classic and I do believe I like the Classic grip a bit better, though both do the job...Mike

Last picture is a Whip next to a "mini" Classic that Dan built for my 2 year old son for Christmas last year.

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
I really like the Tomahawk line of bows. Super smooth, quick, and shoot where you look. Nice thing is 3 rivers has 4 payment plan, and a great return policy if you don't like it.  I have owened 5 of them...Also most of the time they have a bow to fit your needs in stock.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
Hey Craig..

I notice that you're up in Hooker...you should take a drive down to Pampa and go to the Great Plains bow shop down there. They usually have several of their longbows on the rack that you can shoot, as well as the Tomahawks that they make for 3Rivers.  Bob and his crew are really nice fellas.

And if you get the time, every august here in McAlester they have the big trad bow shoot at the ammunition plant. Lots of bowyers show up, Black Widow, Foley, Bob Lee and a lot of independant bowmakers.

Shoot as many diffrent brands/styles/models as you can before you place your order.  The right bow will just feel right.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »

Kanati 58" made by Jason Kendall
Best bow for the money. Shoots like a dream and the workman ship is great! Light, fast and shock free. Check it out. I love mine.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
Check out one of Leon Stewarts "Slammer" as it has all of the attributes you are talking about. tom
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
Hey everyone,
Thanks for the input so far! Too many choices lol
I'm looking hard at the Turkey Creek and Toelke Whip Classic at this point. I should have mentioned that I draw 30" and need a 64"-66" bow.
Thanks,
Craig

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
Another vote for Dan Toelke.  Just recieved a 64" #50 "Whip" on Monday.  Im new to trad. archery, and ive only shot a handfull of bows.  This bow is the smoothest, most "dead" in the hand of the few ive shot.  

I really think Dans time as a firearms engraver has him at a level of fit/finish that satisfies even the most picky of consumers.  Excellent craftsmanship both in design/execution/methods and materials.

One of my favorite little "touches" on the whip is that he carries a thin veneer layer of the riser material out to the end of the limb tip.  This really has a gracefull, sleek look.  

Mine is Macassar Ebony, so theres a dark thin line running all the way to the tip between the tempered bamboo layers.

Lastly,  Dan has been a HUGE help to me in learning to shoot.  He gave me some tips yesturday that turned into me shrinking my groups drastically and improving my consistency to the point that im now finally confident to actually go HUNT with my bow!

Offline LarryS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
MOHAWK, YOU WILL BE SO HAPPY YOU TRIED ONE !
L.C.SMEEN

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
Kanati. If I was going to by another bow it to would be a Kanati.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©