3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow Suggestions/Opinions  (Read 1149 times)

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow Suggestions/Opinions
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
I shot a bunch. My favorites are a Mohawk and a Horne's Traditionalist.  :thumbsup:

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
Craig, I'd tell you an ACS CX but since my favorite one is the Zebrawood takedown I bought from you I'll give you a few more tip's!!  :)    :)    :) . Griffin or Centaur. Both hard to come by used, super long wating list new but two of the finest one piece longbow's you'll ever shoot. I was a diehard recurve guy and once I had these two bows in my hands, along with the ACS CX, I rarely shoot my recurves anymore.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
Can suggest the Great Northern Fireball. Very stable, quiet on the release and a pleasure to shoot. It really casts an Easton Axis carbon arrow  :)
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
Craig, I have a 30" draw and the Whip and Classic Whip in my pictures are both 64".  Absolutely no problems.  I've shot the 62" and don't really have any complaints, but Dan thought the 64" would be a better fit for my draw.  Good luck with whatever you decide...Mike

Offline kevgsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
64" Mohawk

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
Reading what you are looking for, I will suggest a Robertson Purist or Great Northern Critter Gitter.  Both are classic and proven D/R longbows, wonderfully crafted by experienced masters and with good performance and excellent manners.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
Crow Creek's "Black Feather", Schafer 3 piece and the Foley 3 piece.  I've tried all 3 and all are top end.  I like a low wrist also... at least a 64" to a 66" longbow.

I have the Wes Wallace Mentor (it's the only recurve I have left), but... sooner or later, I'm also going to try the Wes Wallace longbow.
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
How are the Mohawks and Robertsons for speed as compared to something like a Widow PL (kind of my standard for the speed I'm looking for)? Thanks,
Craig

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Craig, I think the Robertson would hold its own pretty well.  I know my bamboo cored Robertson Vision LB is very quick.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
I'd go with the Border Griffon GL and did. Mines a two piece via the sleeve system. It also looks like a longbow, which I like and a one piece at that!

I never thought I'd hang up my recurve but the GL is now my "go to" bow and only 4fps slower than my recurve (the recurve is also a pound less).
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 12:24:00 AM »
A Cactus Cal Seguaro, The one I have is a Maple . riser, Tiger Maple limbs Boo cores.

Heavy R&D with Trapazoid design limbs with a very narrow limb tip. Very nice foward riser and a good solid grip.

This one is marked 45# at 28" weighs in at 52# at my 30" draw. 1918's with a 145 grain's out front cut 31" long 565 total weight. 5 Arrow average of 178fps. ZERO Noise dead silent not sure if that is fast but they sure go through a deer in a hurry.

This one will be my go to hunting bow for a long time.

D

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 02:52:00 AM »
Just a note I draw 32" on my 64" whip classic, your draw won't be a problem. If you have a chance call Dan you'll get a great feeling about the guy and his bows after speaking with him. let him know Bob Lamonte from Oregon loves his whip after he convinced me trying one after I had one of his TD recurves that I really like, but like my classic even more and I never shot longbows before.
Bob

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 04:58:00 AM »
I have a FireFly made by Jim Jones and it is a TD.
Jim's bows are smooth, accurate and fast.
The fact that i can change to different limbs and poundage makes it even better. The grip is like a glove, and for me it feels natural to hold it. Search for FireFly longbows here at PowWow and u will find many satisfied customers  :)  

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 05:19:00 AM »
Nice to see we all agree on the bow he needs. LOL. You better go somewhere and pick you own. I have a Savannah, Nortwind, and two self bows, a Robertson and a Bamboo backed Ipe longbow. I shot them all.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
I vote for the Whip mine shoots great and is a fine piece of craftsmanship. Plus a short wait time from the time you order until you have the bow. Mine took about 4 weeks.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
I vote for Wes Wallace bows. I have a "Royal" that I really like. Not only does he make a great bow but he stands behind his workmanship. I recently got my Royal back from a repair and refinish Wes did for me. The bow is about 10 years old and I am not the orginal owner. He repaired the bow at no charge. I did pay what I consider a very fair price for the refinishing.He also updated the grip for me. It looks great and shoots great also. I really like the grip. Thanks Wes

Offline KumaSan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
The Fedora's are nice longbows either in the TD or the one piece. The grip is similar to the Whip pictured above. They are fast, quiet, and well made.

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
If at all possible I'd suggest trying the bows your interested in for yourself.There's a good many "good" bows to choose from and how it feels is subjective from archer to archer...in a nut shell only "you" can really answer your question

I'm currently shooting a Centaur and was turned on to that brand by a fella that also has and loves his DAS which is an ok bow for me.Before that I was shooting a hummingbird which I still own and that was tried compared to many at Denton hill a few yrs back winning out for "me"

Good luck finding the bow your looking for
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
Check out St Joe River bows. Dick built me a 60" longbow this summer and it is silky smooth and dead on accurate. Here's a couple of pics....

Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Craig I had 2 Mohawks.Gave them up to try a couple other bows. I have owned and shot a bunch. I presently own a Widow PLV. I just obtained another Mohawk. I forgot how fast, quiet, and easy they were to shoot. I said it before and I'll say it again. You can't beat a Mohawk for the money.A bargin at 475.00  and they shoot as good or better than bows twice their price.That's my opinion. Everyone is different. The funny thing when Vince found out about me giving up the Mohawks he said "you'll be back". He was right. bentpole>>>>~~~~~>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©