3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 16 AND "0"  (Read 576 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
16 AND "0"
« on: October 29, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
Ya know if this were any other sport I would be benched!  I've probably enjoyed this season as much as any I've had over the past 44 years and yet the strangest thing has happened.  Last season I hunted behind my house and ended up with 33 buck in to my stands (some repeats) and never killed one but did kill my doe.  This season I've hunted 16 times over some of the best buck sign I've had back there in years and...I've yet to see a single deer!  No doe, fawns or buck!  I recently purchased the old farm from my in-laws and hunted there 3 times and have seen deer each outing but it's 9 miles away and that seems like a long way to go to deer hunt.  I haven't gotten frustrated or discouraged yet and still feel I'll get a chance if I keep at it but I'm getting tired of moving stand!  Just thought I'd share.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 16 AND "0"
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
Did you do any pre season scouting?  My guess is that most likely the deer have a new food source.

Sorry, but you won’t get any sympathy from me, or from most others here on Tradgang, for having to travel 9 miles to go deer hunting.  I travel 60 miles each way to my closest whitetail stands, 75 miles to get to my better whitetail spot, and over 350 miles to reach the good spots on the other side of the state.  I know others here travel even farther then me to reach their whitetail spots.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
9 miles is to far to travel to deer hunt? Man your spoiled.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
9 miles, that's nothing.  Would take you less than 15 minutes to get your spot.  I'd say hunt where you are seeing deer.
>>>--------->

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
I havesome ground that I live on and know deer move through often but I Drive to a better spot I like to hunt on that's 30 min away. 9 miles is close.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
Walt,  I've been doing this for a long time and did plenty of scouting.  (Year round).  Just before the season began the deer sightings began dropping away.  I scouted the entire perimeter of the property (272 acres) and found no food sources better than what I had with acorns and a clover field.  I'm really puzzled because I've never had this happen in the past 21 years I've lived here.  Like I said, there's more buck sign than I've ever had but obviously is nocturnal.  As for the 9 mile drive.  Yes, I'm spoiled so I guess I need to bite the bullet and get driving for the rut!

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
I wish I only had to go 9 miles!  You are a lucky man!

I'm getting ready to load up and head 72 miles to my place.  Have to come back Saturday to take the kids trick or treating, then head back down Saturday night.  So in the next two days, I'll be driving almost 300 miles in hopes of arrowing a nice buck!

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
9 Miles? Heck, I WALK that far AFTER parking!   :biglaugh:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
9 miles is to far to travel to deer hunt? Man your spoiled.
yeah, but it's uphill, both ways, in the snow, with no shoes..  :D
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
You are continuing to hunt a spot and see NOTHING, when you could be hunting a mere 9 miles away and see deer????...just let that one marinate a bit and I think you'll have your answer.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
My late season elk spots are 40 miles away and my early season spots vary from 100 to 300 miles away.  9 miles would rock! I do have to say, I can blacktail hunt about half a mile from the house down by the lake ( all public ground ) so that makes it easy to slip in a evening or early morning hunt.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
I like seeing deer and like shooting deer so I drive 180 miles round trip to hunt for an evening on public land. Usually 2 or 3 of us go together so we split the gas. I wish I had a decent place to hunt 9 miles away.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
Longbowman - I'm in Crawford Co hunting now (from Alabama) and this seems to be a common story.  Nobody seeing many deer yet we have found a lot of buck sign this week.  Did see a few small ones moving this morning though.  Maybe something will break. Hope it happens fast.  Have to head home Sunday.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
9 MILES!?! I travel almost 30 to hunt 80 acres.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
NINE MILES.....I have traveled that far to go to the john!!!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
OK,OK!  I'm going to pack the wagon with rations and travel to my new farm.  Actually guys, I lived in Montana for 4 years and know what it's like to travel 90 miles just so I can then hike another 2-6 just to start hunting.  It's just that I've killed my last 19 deer behind my house & I just can't get this figured out.  I guess that's why it's called hunting and not killing.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
LOL, 9 miles, I travel over 7,000 to get to my hunting spots in Texas.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
Frank,
If food isn't an issue, including the possibility of neighbors having planted different crops or food plots during the past year, has something happened to affect the deer’s security, or even their perception of security?  With 272 acres, is it possible you have others using the property without your knowledge?  I look for three things when the whitetails I hunt change their patterns: a change in food or water, a change in security (including their perception of security), and if it is close to the rut where the does are.  When their patterns change I look for them as if I was looking for my son when he was a teenager, find the food, security, and women.  Like teenagers, the order of importance of these three items can and will change at anytime.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
let's see...I travel 256 miles one way to hog hunt twice a month- every month. Last year I traveled 3900 miles to hunt bear in one 8 day period...you need an attitude adjustment if you think 9 miles is too far to go...heck, Gene and Barry MOVED from Montana to Iowa to hunt deer!

I think you have commitment issues.   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
9 miles!? are you kidding me? I drive 40 min to hunt 90 acres and the other ground I hunt is 20 min!! but anyway, the last 5 or 6 times I've been out I havent seen a thing except squirrels, but I'll keep plugging away!! Jason

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©