3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Itch For A New One Piece Hybrid Longbow  (Read 677 times)

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Itch For A New One Piece Hybrid Longbow
« on: October 29, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
I've got this itch for a new one piece hybrid longbow. I don't need a new bow. I just want one and I want it to be 35# @ 30". I want this bow mainly for target shooting and I intend to do some small game hunting with it for rabbits, bullfrogs and I know it will take down a javelina.

I really like my 68", 41# @ 30" Belcher Longhorn so I'm used to this hybrid longbow. It's very smooth drawing out to my 30" draw with a very comfortable grip. The problem is, should I go with what I already know with a second one piece Longhorn or should I go with a different hybrid longbow just to get something "different"? The only other hybrid longbow that has caught my eye is a one piece 70", Leon Stewart SL Slammer. But, and here is the catch, I see most of the one piece Slammers are measured at 28". That's a no-no for me. If I'm going to spend at least $750 or more for a hybrid longbow, I want the poundage measured at my 30" draw, not at 28" which means I want the bow to fit me, not the other way around where I have to fit into the bow. In other words, I don't want the bow to be 31# @ 28". The only other two things I've noticed different is my Longhorn is cut 3/16" past center whereas the Slammer is cut to center. And lastly, my Longhorn has a 19" riser. The Slammer would have a 24" riser. I think the 24" Slammer riser with it's shorter limbs than my present Longhorn with it's longer limbs due to the 19" riser, wouldn't be as smooth drawing as my present Longhorn.

So, I want to get some opinions. Both pro and con are welcome.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Itch For A New One Piece Hybrid Longbow
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
So you tell Jim to mark the bow measured to your draw and the weight you want it at at your draw. Not a problem. Any custom bowyer can do that for you. Many bows are marked at 28" because that is the most common draw length.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
I just ordered a new Schafer-itch cleared right up!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Might take at look at the Fox Royal Crown. It is a great design and a reasonable price. I have one on order. I made the mistake of shooting one this summer! Good people to work with also. Larry Yien has one he uses for target archery.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
Hey Snag tell us how many bows you have on order.   :archer:

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
One...or is it two...let's see I did just receive another Blacktail the other day...so I can cross that one off my list...  :thumbsup:

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
MOAB.........
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Chad Holm, HolmmadeTraditionalBows, Sponsor on here, GOOD Man, Super Nice Bow !!

Offline hunterbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
check out Dave Beelers hybrid longbows his 58" draws smooth out to 31" with no finger pinch at all.and a looker at that.
robert quetot

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
Mark Horne makes a great hybrid.

Check out his Brushbow.

I have a t/d brushbow, but he started them in a one piece.

Good luck.

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »
I should clarify this. I won't go shorter than 68" in length so that knocks out many excellent bowyers because the longest length they make in their hybrid longbow models is 66".
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 01:02:00 AM »
Hello Joe

Looks like thunderstick 11 or 111 are worth a look and Big Jims buffalo bow says up to 70 inches on his website.Both are excellant bows IMO.Never had the longest lengths though.My 62 inch Big Jim 2 piece is a very nice all around bow and I am considering a lighter one in a longer length for 3-D and target shooting and I just enjoy shooting a lighter and longer bow sometimes.Jims bows are solid state sticks

Thunderstick 111 is a sweet shooting bow and a hybrid style.Had a couple 64 inchers and like the bamboo limbs on that one.He offers phenolic on that one if you wanted some weight and stiffness in the riser.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 01:51:00 AM »
Check out SiegeWorks! He is a Sponsor here and has some Beautiful Bows!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Willrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »
Try these guys for all different kinds most with one year warranty and good prices.

http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/c-11-archery.aspx
Until next time
Willie
Ranger in training
Ben Pearson Strato Jet 50# recurve

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
Why no shorter than 68"? I bet if we blindfolded you and put a 64" bow in your hand you wouldn't know the difference...  :biglaugh:

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
I prefer a hybrid longbow over a classic "D" shaped longbow because upon arrow release, the hybrid longbow's bowstring does not hit my left arm. But, upon arrow release, the classic "D" shape longbow's bowstring does hit my left arm and I can't explain why. This is predicated upon both bows being the same length, same poundage, same shaped grip, same nock set height, same brace height, same anchor point, same arrow and with the same bowstrings (dacron or fast flight). A classic "D" shaped longbow isn't for me.

Offline bog monster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
I just got a used Thunderhorn Heartstopper last week. Wicked nice bow. It is only 60" but draws as smooth a much longer bow. Fox also makes a killer hybrid. I shot one at ETAR a couple years ago and they are top notch.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steelhead:
Hello Joe

Looks like thunderstick 11 or 111 are worth a look and Big Jims buffalo bow says up to 70 inches on his website.Both are excellant bows IMO.Never had the longest lengths though.My 62 inch Big Jim 2 piece is a very nice all around bow and I am considering a lighter one in a longer length for 3-D and target shooting and I just enjoy shooting a lighter and longer bow sometimes.Jims bows are solid state sticks

Eric,

I have a one piece Buffalo bow being made right now.

Can't wait to shoot her!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
Ed mikuta makes a great longbow.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
willrett: Thank you for this Way Cool Link to a Very Cool Site!!http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/c-11-archery.aspx
    They have some Very Nice and Interesting Productds!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©