3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Summit Safety Harness ,Help  (Read 296 times)

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
Summit Safety Harness ,Help
« on: October 29, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
I ordered two Summit Razor SS climbing stands for me and my grandson. Is the safety harness that comes with the stand adequate and safe or should I get a HSS or other. I sure want my grandson as safe as possible.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Summit Safety Harness ,Help
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
nobody can answer that but you....

It is a TMA certified product (I assume - is it labeled as such?), so meets the standards.  Outside of that, its what you want or feel.

Does it fit him properly?

Is he/you comfortable using it?

Sorry to say this, but if you want him as safe as possible, then keep him on the ground.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
I really like the Seat-O-The-Pants harness that comes with Summit stands.  The slip lanyard with the prussic know is my favorite system...makes climbing with the system much easier in my opinion.  I trust it.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
I own several SOP harnesses.  Have had one since the came out years ago.  Do like the system with the purrsik knot, for up and down, espically with lock on or ladder stands.
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
Thanks for your comments guys
BobW I agree that it is or might be safer hunting from the ground. He and I have hunted from a ground blind for a couple of years. He killed a nice 8 pointer last year (gun) But we have had deer shy away from ground blinds too. My grandson is 17 yrs. old and many of his friends hunt out of stands with good success. He will soon be able to make his own decisions and he is dead set on hunting out of a stand. I had rather teach him the proper way and safety issues about stand hunting than to just wait till he gets old enough to buy one and know nothing about them. I am also going to buy walkie talkies or distress whistles in case of an emergency.I have hunted from stands when there was no such thing as a safety harness, a Baker stand at that. I have an Ol Man stand but it's hard to shoot traditional longbows out of. I only started back hunting a few years ago because of my grandson loving it so much. I quit hunting for awhile and bass fished year around. I have my hunting passion back now.
I will make sure the safety system fits him right and is TMA certified I can't see Summit providing anything else but TMA but I will check. Thanks BobW
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
The harness that comes with the Summit stands is very functional.  It doesn't have the quickie buckles or other amenities of the regular SOP harnesses, but the basic design is the same and it is comfortable and will do the job.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 05:35:00 AM »
Cahaba,

The harness Summit provides is TMA certified. Like Fletcher said the harness is adequate and functional but just make sure it fits. Upgrading to a SOP or HSS is a good idea IMO...I just feel they are better made and safer.

Chris

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 06:59:00 AM »
Safety systems available these days are much better than in the past. (like many other products)

Careful use of your climbers will provide excellent opportunities and enhance your enjoyment and success.

The provided harnesses packaged with Summit stands are good, and as long as they fit properly, are as safe as any. Go to a big retailer and check out the different systems they have, and see if there is something he/you might find easier to use.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©