3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog hunting in Al  (Read 228 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog hunting in Al
« on: October 29, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
I hear Lowndes WMA, has alot of hogs. InLowndes WMA, is it worth the drive from Michigan? I mean is there a really good chance I will see hogs If I hunt for four or five days and do a lot of looking?

Offline Scrub_buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog hunting in Al
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
Lets just put it this way ... I live about 1 hour from the place and I have never been there in search of hogs or deer.

I went one day with my bird dogs a few years ago in the mid-day hours (10-2) to do some woodcock hunting and dang if somebody didn't shove a beer bottle under my tire and it busted as I pulled off from my parking spot.  I backed into the spot, so I know some good for nuthin 'redder-neck' than me ... disliked me hunting there without his permission.  I have never been back.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
Not worth the drive. I live in the same place a Scrub-buck and while there are some hogs there, from what I understand, they tend to stay in an area that is very hard to access without a boat.

Now on the other hand, south Georgia from what I hear has a much larger population of hogs and several different public land options on which to hunt. The drive wouldn't be much further. I personally have never hunted there, but many on this site have and could probably give you alot of information about such.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Dent

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 01:51:00 AM »
I hunt Lowndes WMA quite a bit.  I would agree with everyone else and say it is not worth the drive.  The hunting there is more suited to the local hunters, who have the time to scout.  The Local DNR officer can and will show you the areas that hold the highest hog populations. He is very helpful.  One thing to keep in mind is that this WMA has some pretty high tech methods of controling the hog population.  These hogs are hunted, trapped, and tracked(with radio collars) year round.  As a result the population is not what it could be.  This is not a bad thing as the deer benifit.

I personally have not seen a hog in the past 3 years of hunting there.  The areas that hold the most hogs usually have the most hunting pressure and I tend to avoid those areas.

I would also agree that south Georgia, and add Florida as your best bet to get a hog on public land.  I hunted the southeast coatal plain of Georgia and have taken many hogs from private land that borders a large WMA there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©