3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: St. Jude/Pike Co. Hunt - All pics up now!  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
St. Jude/Pike Co. Hunt - All pics up now!
« on: October 30, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
Fred Gimbel - Greyfox54 - rolled into Pike County, IL tonight around 9pm. I had made it to my folks house earlier in the day and began some flooring work that I am using as an excuse to be here while he chases these big brutes. I may even see if I can introduce a doe or two to one of my arrows. Fred was the highest bidder in this year's auction      :thumbsup:    

I will be taking Fred to one of my brother's stands in the morning and then backing out. The plan is for him to get down later, still hunt and scout during mid-day since all will be quiet for a day or two after this rain. We'll then have a better idea on how we're going to set-up for the next four days.

I hoping to start getting some pictures added to the thread tomorrow, but it's time for bed. Wish us luck     :pray:     ....especially Fred with connecting on a big buck. I figure that'll keep the other big buck$ flowing into St. Jude. Goodnight.      :)

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: St. Jude/Pike Co. Hunt - All pics up now!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 05:29:00 AM »
:campfire:     :coffee:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 05:51:00 AM »
Good Luck...Fred's a great guy    :notworthy:    :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 06:13:00 AM »
Good luck guys.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 07:18:00 AM »
Good luck Fred, the cool weather coming in should help. Darren, tell your mom and dad I said hello!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
Good Luck Fred. I only live 50 miles to the East by Springfield and was in Pleasant Hill(Pike County) this week for work. Flint

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
Best of luck. Fred is a good one and so are you for offering these hunts in the Auction.    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
Rain is leaving and the temp is starting to drop Darren! I'm going out in the morning myself. Good luck to everyone and stay safe!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »
Thanks all for the well-wishes and comments. Scott the folks say hi back at 'ya. Tom, the wind has brought some colder temps - we're very pleased.

Been a long first day and looks to be another long one tomorrow. Thought I should give a quick synopsis of today's action.

Morning hunt: Fred only saw 1 doe from stand he was in. As he was scouting the north end of the farm, he saw 5 different bucks but no shot opportunities.

He hunted in same stand for the evening and had two bucks come in. A 120+ 9 pt around 5:30 and then a small 6 pt 10 mins before dark. Fred has killed some big game, but the 9 pt would have been his biggest whitetail. After seeing some of what my dad has killed over the years, he decided to let the 9 pt walk.

I also had the chance to watch a pretty decent buck make it's way from the neighbors bean field to our woods behind Fred. I had pulled my car over about 400 yds away on a bordering road to glass the area before picking Fred up for the night. The buck made what I thought was a straight path for Fred's stand, but he didn't see him.

We finished up the evening having some pizza and playing cards with my brother and his family along with picking up some more tree stands. As we were driving back we discussed the last 26 hours since he arrived in Illinois. Between the both of us, on the farm and the road we've seen over 20 different bucks with most of them being 2-1/2 or better.

I'm sure Fred is already counting bucks in his sleep. I'd better go do the same.

More updates tomorrow.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »
Good luck.  Timing should be good.  Chad

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
sounds like a great time.  Not a better guy anywhere than Fred !  first class all the way !!  
I wish I would have known you had won this hunt Fred, I would have tried to throw in with ya !
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
I was out in Pike Co. in early Oct. Saw a bunch of deer and 4 slammer bucks...best of luck and pick a spot....short blood trails also!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 02:36:00 AM »
Wow…it’s been 3 whole days since my last post. Fred has been hunting hard and has had his chances, but not on any big bucks. Let’s hope he closes the deal tomorrow because it’s his last day here.

It has truly been a pleasure getting to know Fred. He has lots of interesting hunting stories and an even more interesting life.

The plan tonight was to wait until Fred was done for the evening and then go hang a new stand in the dark where he has been seeing quite few bucks in the mornings. I wasn’t going to hunt, but got to the farm about 45 min before dark to help him. On my way out I saw several deer feeding in fields and surprised a doe and her fawn when I pulled into our lane.

With all the sightings I figured I should let my bow get some fresh air. We park just east of the barn which is surrounded by a lush pasture that deer love feeding in at night. There was a steady north wind blowing, so I thought that setting up along the edge of the pasture in what we call the “barn hollow” would be my best bet. First I would have to spy all around the pasture to make sure there were no deer already out, even though I had just parked. To do this, I would have to go into the barn and look out the window or doors on the north, west and south sides. After making my way to the south side I saw 2, no 3, wait…6 de, errrr…..7 deer feeding about 50-60 yds from the SW corner of the barn.

I was now out of options for hunting and mad at myself for not getting here earlier. The only way I was going to kill a deer tonight is if one walked close to one of the barn openings.  ;)  Shortly after feeling discouraged, two of the deer started walking toward me. A few minutes later one of the does was broadside at 15 yds, but I didn’t think my set-up could penetrate the 1” plank barn siding and still fly true to its mark. I was beginning to get a little excited because I could watch her moving through the cracks in the siding, but knew I would need to be patient.

The doe must have thought there were greener pastures around the north side of the barn because she started to turn the corner. The first thing I saw was her right ear twitching. I got my bow up and drawn to 3-4” short of full. I shoot 71#, so this means I was holding about 59-62# for nearly 30 seconds before my burning shoulder and arms had enough. All I could see was her nose, right eye, and part of her right ear. I thought the game was over when I had to let down. Fortunately, she went back to feeding and after a few seconds of rest I began to add tension back to the string. She finally took another step and a half and I released while staring intently at a spot just a couple of inches above the point at which her leg met the underside of her chest.

WHAM!!!…down she went…spine shot from 5 yds (did I tell you this was from 5 yds on the ground?!?!). Now, I’m not sure if I blew the shot, she jumped the string or she had started to react from seeing my movement. I don’t think I blew the shot, and I think it unlikely that she could jump the string at 5 yds, so my guess is she saw me move. Anyway, I followed up with a quick second shot.

Here’s a picture Fred took with my camera right before its batteries died. He took some with his, but it may be a while before he can get them to me. He’s got another trip in a few days.

Shot distance 5 yds. Recovery distance 0 yds. A Snuffer and a Ribtek share the honors.

This is only my second trad deer. The first was also this season, just a few weeks ago in Georgia with the Dudley’s. (see St. Jude Armadillo hunt from this year) The coolest thing about it is that both deer were killed on Trad Gang-St. Jude Auction hunts.

I am very grateful for the meat, Fred’s help in taking care of the deer tonight and just getting the chance to meet him. And a special thanks to Trad Gang for giving us all a place to gather and share our experiences.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
Sweet.  I am extremely happy for you.  Don't forget the meat.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
Nice big doe Darren!, although those arrows aren't as cool as your clout shoot finger cutters. Sooo... was your pulse racing a bit?  :eek:
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
Congrats, old Buddy!  Sounds like a banner year.  Maybe you can start carrying that barn with you everywhere you hunt... sounds like a fine blind!!

Hope Fred gets close encounter of his own on an Illinois deer today.

Way to go!

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
Congrats, Darren!  I'm really hoping Fred will get his chance, but I know he's had a great time and that is enuf for him.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
Thanks guys! Tom, it was very exciting. I was just telling Dad this morning that of all the deer I've killed no matter what the method, watching this doe get closer through the barn siding had my heart racing more than any of 'em. Daryl, I like your thinking. I'll have to come up with a "Barn Blind" and market it.

Now, for even better news......Fred called me a few minutes ago and he's killed a buck.   :bigsmyl:  

I'll save the details for later, but will tell you it's not the monster I wanted for him, but he is positively giddy about closing the deal on the last morning. I'm going out to the farm now to help with getting it up to the barn. We'll take pictures and get 'em posted as soon as we can.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
All right Fred!!!  And congratulations on the doe Darren!!
Now hurry up and get back here with some pictures  :readit:  

Fred is coming to my cabin along with Tom and Paula Phillips to try for a Wisconsin buck next week.  I hope I can show him as good a time as he has had with you!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©