3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow Bows?  (Read 1642 times)

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow Bows?
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
Grayseas,

I know Timberhawk Bows will let you try before you buy.

I have a PSA II and really enjoy the bow.  I've always seen a lot of Widows in the classifieds, but I suspect like others said it's because that many more of them are made.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
quint...widows require no more tuning than any other bow,matter of fact the psax osage i had was probably the easiest bow to tune i have had.status symbol is exactly right.well worth the money.

:readit:    :readit:    :readit:    :readit:    :readit:    :readit:    :readit:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
I have several high end custom bows and my PSA X ranks right there with them. I plan on ordering another one if they come to the Bama shoot again next spring. I want to shoot one of there 2 piece longbows and another 3 piece with a different grip.

I dont give a rats ass what people say about there bows, lifes to short to listen to a bunch of crap about how they are over priced and a $300 dollar bow will shoot just as good.

When i buy a item that im going to hunt with for years to come and you add up all the hours i spend in the woods with that weapon made by a company that has been in business as long as they have, your not talking about that much money.

I have a pair of binoculars i paid $1,300 dollars for 15 years ago and they are as good as the day i bought them. Shoot what you want and quit worring about the money lifes just to short. We are on this earth for only a short time my friends so enjoy it while you still can. Here today gone tomorrow.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
right on the money joe...only get one trip around the tree then you're gone.may as well stop and enjoy the finer things in life...c'mon quint'''turn that frown upside down little buddy...you know you want a widow.just do it.  :D
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
Tick Tock Quint.....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
lol....thats funny

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
I've NEVER met anyone who has shot a Widow & didn't like/love it!  I probably will never own one though - too much $$$.  I'm not saying they're not worth it.  I AM saying I have 4 kids & I don't expect to see that much green paper in one place anytime soon!
What was big was not the antlers, but the chance. What was full was not the meatpole but the memory of the hunt.    --Aldo Leopold

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
I think widows are too heavy. Its like a catch 22 for me. Being heavy, they shoot smooth, but they're too heavy for my taste. I had a Great Plains Palo Dura that shot really nice, similar to a Widow, but just too heavy for my taste. I like lighter bows. I'd much rather spend the $1000 + on a Griffen or Shrew. Much more attractive bows also to me.Don't care for those big, blocky risers.

I agree that the Widow bashing threads stink. I hope I don't come across as a basher. Too much misery in this world to bash somebody's choice of bows. Generally I stay away from these threads, but this one seems okay to post my honest opinions. Gotta love the gang. If someone wants to send me their PL to shoot, I'll enjoy it with an open mind!    :archer:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline sleepingbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
The black widow bows shoot as well as the person behind it.  Get to know the bow. I have been fortunate to try many bows,both longbow and recurve. Shot a lot of bows over the years and I fill the freezer.  I still go back to my old autumn oak because it feels good and sends an arrow where I am looking.  Just my two cents.

Offline steve wasson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
Own one, a PSA-V 60" takedown. Doesn't shoot as well as the PMA's at 62" or 64" but very consistent, solid as a rock.  I'm building some 64" limbs for it as we speak, yes, they're in the oven right now.  I bought a lefty 62" older MAIII for my Bro, he loves it and bought an old 35# target Widow (1225, I think) for the Mrs. and it still shoots great although it's an early 70's bow.  I think they are first rate and I'd love to buy another.  Gotta love 'em!

Steve
steve wasson

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
I bought one from a friend of a friend and he is getting it to me on Thursday.  My brother has one and I have loved shooting it.  This one came up for sale and I shot it some in early October and really liked it but would not turn loose of the money.  I have really been enjoying the traditional shooting this year and just decided to call the guy Saturday and see if he still had it.  It is a 10 year old bow but he just put new limbs on it last year and it is 47# @ 28.  I can't wait to get it and get used to it.  I'll post up some pics next week.
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
Black Widow has been in business for many years. It's longevity alone should speak for the integrity of the company and the quality of their bows. As far as custom bows are concerned I would guess there are probably more Widows out there than any other. They along with a few others were the only custom trad. bows still available in the 80's and 90's when the compound market about took over. There are apprently a lot of folks who like them and I am among their number. I have shot them since the early 80's. All were used that I picked up here and there. I bought my first new one specially for me in 94. Bought my second in 2004. I have shot and owned other custom bows, some less expensive and some more. Most were prettier, but none shot any better. During the last few years Black Widow has made great strides in making their bows more appealing to the eyes and currently are making some really incredible looking bows. They have always shot great and like others have stated, their customer service is second to none. You see a lot of them for sale because there are a ton of them out there. Do they appeal to everyone? No, but neither does a Harley.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2009, 12:36:00 AM »
Great bows that apparently hold their value.

I will never know. My PSAII will be mine until death and my sons fight over it after I am pushing daisies, or some poor idget steals it and I have to hunt them down to get it back.

Otherwise it is my hunting bow for a long, long time.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by horatio1226:
I think Quint is entitled to his opinion.  
Maybe so, but not here on Trad Gang if he's breaking the rule of respect and smarting off to other members.

No one is 'entitled' when it comes to Trad Gang.  Posting here is a privilege not a right.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
Thanks for reminding us of our privilege.  I am certainly guilty of forgetting that fact.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Grayseas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
I just got a black widow demo today, I like it a lot. What a great program. It is great to be able to shoot a bow before buying it.
Eli
74 lb Shrew Safari
65 lb Fedora
62 lb Black Widow
60 lb Bamboo Viper
52 lb Bear Hunter TD

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »
.Have had several and customer service is unmatched.If I had too choose 1 bow for the rest of my life.It would be a Widow because of all things mentioned above.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2009, 07:13:00 AM »
I don't own a Widow, and I never have. But I have shot them plenty. I have NEVER shot a Widow that I didn't like. Aside from that, Ken Beck is one of the great, true gentlemen in archery. You can't go wrong with a Widow.

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
I got a used MAIII about a month ago here on Trad Gang.It was a little noisy when i first got it.I played with the brace height so my arrows flew true.That got it a little quieter.Then played with differant string silencers at differant areas on the string."Got it quiet".So,you can get them quiet.And they are a smooth drawing,shooting bow.One reason for selling and buying these bows is,the older you get,and your health issues tend to make you come down in weight.I also now have a target bow made by Black Widow.Also bought used here on Trad Gang.I don`t see me selling these bows anytime soon.I realy like them alot.
Harold Wetzler

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
Well said Terry.  And thanks for the privilege.  This is a great place.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©