3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: heavy arrows  (Read 763 times)

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: heavy arrows
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 07:11:00 AM »
Mine are 735 Gr, with 360 up front. The only time I notice the drop is if I shoot 3ds past 25 yards. I do shoot 3ds out to 40 yards, but while hunting I wont take anything past 20 or so yards. Your mind will get used to the heavy arrows, just like they will get used to the light ones as well.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »
Jerseyboy, try hardwood shafts. They'll get the weight up for you. POC is one of the lightest shaft species.

I generally shoot arrows in the 600-650 grain range with a variety of bows and draw weights. for me, the weight of the arrow is not nearly as important as getting the spine matched to my bow. Arrows of all weights perform better when the spine is perfect for the setup. That's where you get the maximum efficiency from the bow, and where the trajectory will be the flattest. I don't have to compensate for draw weight or arrow weight within reason as long as my arrows are right for the bow.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
Cedar is the Lightweight of the arrow world----in more ways than one.

Ipe is the Heavyweight King of Straightness.

The Middleweight Champion is Douglas Fir.  Plenty of contenders in this weight class though. . . and unlike the lightweight division, they are all TOUGH!

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
One of my setups is a 31 1/4 340 GT with 300 up front about 602 grains for total weight. Some where in the low twenties for percent of EFOC. Out of my 46lb ILF carbon foam longbow drawn to about 30" this arrow does not nose dive and gaps at slightly beyond 60 yards. That is 11.3 grains per pound. It will gap at 45 yards with a 15 grains per pound arrow. And that is with a corner of the mouth hunting style anchor. Even with my 53lb cut to center wood core RD longbow with the above arrows shoot very well. And that is drawn to 29. Heavy arrows don't have to drop fast or nose dive. And on a still day, I've bare shafted this set up at the 60 yards. It is tuned right.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rik:
Nah, that heavy arrow stuff is just hype. 100 grains or less, that's the ticket!

Nice animal.  I would use something a little heavier on a critter such as that.  A bit more draw weight as well.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
I seem to be a little on the light side here I'm shooting  525gr with 200gr snuffer up front chronographed right @ 170 fps, 54# longbow 66". It will go right through a bear, I haven't been able to shoot anything else with it yet.

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
Where do you guys get your shafts all i have ever seen is POC and laminated birch at three rivers
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »
Jersey, get a hold of Rick Stillman aka "FLETCHER". he has some very nice shafts and arrows that will get you up in mass arrow weight.
He is a sponsor on this site. He uses surewood shafts. some other sponsors sell the shafts but I am un-sure who.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
thanks for the info
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
I shoot a 45# reflex deflex longbow launching 700grain ash arrows and I have no problem with penetration and on top of that don't need string silencers.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
hey jersey boy, check out Raptor archery too they are a sponsor. They carry ash they are strong and heavy.Also check out the classifieds you"ll find some. Also put up an ad for wanrt to buy and what spine you need you should get some good hits.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©