3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many are bow only?  (Read 1935 times)

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many are bow only?
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
Bow in bow, inline in gun and mz season.
204 for woodchucks all summer.
Enjoy it all.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
I have bow hunted every year since Illinois opened deer season in the early 60's and have never killed a big game animal with a gun. Just never had the interest in it. I have used a shotgun in earlier years for quail and pheasants. I now have a great little Beneli 20 gauge autoloader that I sometimes take out for quail.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
Currently, all longbow all the time (was all recurve all the time) though, given a chance for some duck / goose hunting, I wouldn't be above dragging the scattergun back out.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
I hunt yotes,cats, and other predators with a .17 hmr real close range.  I have a 7mm that my gramps gave to me this year, he wants me to take it out for muleys in a week (I have a rifle tag I normally bowhunt)will see.  I might give it a try for him.

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
I will probably be bow only for this deer season. I have a single shot slug gun that doesn't have iron sites and my scope broke while sighting the gun in before last years firearm season. I ended up using my old Mossberg with iron sites and shot a small buck from about 20 feet with it. I didn't shoot a deer with my bow last year and I really debated just taking my bow out for the gun season. Wish I would have. I don't have any plans to buy a new scope so it's looking like bow only this year. I still like to squirrel hunt with a .22 but I haven't done that this year either.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
I use a bow for big game; and grouse when I am bowhunting. For chukars and huns I use my shotgun...my bird dogs would probably eat my bow- if I tried to shoot chukars or huns with an arrow.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline bog monster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
The longbow for hunting, I still hunt the firearms opener and Thanksgiving Day with a slug gun (family tradition). If I was put to a choice the Remington would have to go.

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
I have never shot a deer with a gun.  Bowhunting since 1991 at 14 yrs old.  Shot one with a compound, rest have all been traditional.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
I prefer to hunt with a bow for sure, but not to own a few rifles and hunt with a rifle in Wyoming?.....that may be an act of heresy.  Will take a bow any day but our archery season is so short here rifle hunting is a useful option.  :thumbsup:

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
Can't get that PY if I don't have a bow in hand
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
Recurve only for whitetails, shotgun while bird hunting.... my kids are the ones behind the .243 while rifle hunting.  So far- 2 outta 3 have joined the ranks as successful deer hunters.
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
A follow up to my previous post. If I lived somewhere where the deer season was 3-5 months long as many of you do, I would sell my rifles and never look back.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
I gun hunted for 10 years then one day I went to the Colo Bowhunter Asso. dinner, just 'cause and joined, then bought a compound bow hunted with it for one season.. then bought a trad bow.  That 18 years and 25 big game animals ago.  I have not shot a gun since.  Not even at a target. Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
Never hunted with a gun, and never plan on to either...
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
On a bowhunt in 1995 for caribou, I picked up a rifle on the last day of the hunt and killed a bull.  As soon as he hit the ground I said I probably wont ever do that again.  I occasionally carry the scattergun for turkeys in the spring but otherwise stick with my bows from that day on.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
I hunt with a bow 90% and all but a few big game have been harvested with a bow. Have done it since day one, some trad some wheely( trad only from now on). I do hunt birds a little with a shotgun. Mainly for my lab she's my girl friend as my wife say's. I would probaly hunt more birds with a bow if it wasn't for her(she gets impatient with my misses). Most of her blind commands were learned at the archery range. I will rifle hunt with my dad to keep him in good company but the bow is usally there. I do pull my guns out once a year to dust them off. Nothing agin hunting with other weapons but the flight of the arrow burns my soul.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
Bow only here, the only gun I own sits on my hip under my coat when I am forced to go down to the city...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
Recurve only during archery season.  I'll break out the smokepole or the Ruger Redhawk .44 during gun season.  Scoped CZ 453 .22 for squirrels.  Winchester Model 12 for rabbits.  Les Baer .45 for bad guys.
Otto

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
That would be me. Have a .45 Smith and Wesson but it is not for hunting. Some of my best deer have been taken during the regular firearms season.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline UCBerzerkeley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
i like shooting my old marlin lever. it's older than i am anyays

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©