3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: WI Whitetail hunt / bow build for St Judes 2009  (Read 849 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
WI Whitetail hunt / bow build for St Judes 2009
« on: October 30, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
First, many thanks to John Carnahan and Adam McMillan who put down the winning bid for the kids at St Judes Hospital during the TradGang benefit auction last spring. Their bid was generous and they traveled all the way from Maryland to enjoy some Midwest whitetail hunting and make some shavings.

I arrived at Whip's cabin in central WI on Friday afternoon to help set up and get ready for the boys from down east. We got a grocery run to town out of the way and unpacked tools and staves for bow building. Whip had a new small TV to get the new digital format and a new antenna - just a generator pull away from watching the Packers come Sunday. We were taking a little break before Joe climbed the roof to hook up the antenna wire when out the window I noticed the light rain had turned to flakes.

It was really coming down. Too warm to stick long but what a show!

Joe is an avid hunter but he does live in WI and Sunday was close at hand, so up he went.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: WI Whitetail hunt / bow build for St Judes 2009
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
Later Friday afternoon, Joe got a call from John to say they were on the road and going for a 13 hour long haul straight through. Sure enough, Saturday afternoon they arrived and no sooner unpacked, flung a couple practice shots and off to the woods they went. Joe's ladder stands are well placed and the Prussic knot safety lines got a workout as there was some snoozing in the trees after the long drive. Only for a bit though and both sports got their first taste of WI from a tree and the wonders of fall in the Driftless region west of Black River Falls.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
More please..

I'll be there in a few weeks to visit family and get back out on the family farm with my dad and brothers.  Cannot wait.  I can't wait for your hunt and pics to go with either.  It'll get me even more excited about my trip back home!   :campfire:  

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
A fine supper and good night of rest and they were ready for more. A morning hunt and then the first midday wood workout was started. Starting from scratch they learned to "chase a ring" and made good progress.

I'll let John and Adam fill in their experiences in the woods. It was great fun to hear their encounters at the usual end of day story telling. They are still on the marathon run back to family and work but I'm sure they'll be on line in a day or so.

I'll stick to the stave to bow part of the tale that was my contribution to the party.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
Oh, excellent!  I've been looking forward to this since June.    :thumbsup:

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
It was not long and there was some serious progress in the bow building department. Chase a ring, lay out the profile, a little band saw magic, some heat and a little straightening and before you know it the rasp is starting to make a bendable stick of a piece of osage.

John hard at it

Adam down to scraper stage

Joe not only provides the land, cabin, stands and deer management, but does all the cooking! Here he is taking a much deserved moment to ponder his weekly football pool while the bowyers toil.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
By Tuesday they were at near brace in the tiller process and it was time to learn to make a string. Adam making his first Flemish twist - took to it like a duck to water.

And one of my favorite moments - first brace. Adam admires his handiwork.

And before you know it it was time for first arrows. John shows great form and is not shy about pulling the new osage. Adam's new bow leans in the background.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
Done? No way! John had contacted me before the hunt and asked about snake skins. I directed him to Mike Yancy at Pine Hollow and he set them up. Nothing dresses up a fine piece of hedgapple like some rattler hides, so the bow sessions went into the night.

Adam is brand new to trad and his pal John had set him up with a fine old Bear Black Panther shorty recurve. It had a thick string and flat shelf so I gave him some tune up tips and he went right to work with his new string making skills.

Look at him spin that Cajun serving tool like an old pro.

After the hides had dried overnight, it was time to trim them flush with a cabinet file.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Some starter coats of TruOil and some handle wraps and two of the sweetest selfbows you'd ever want to see were ready to head afield.

You can find someone to make you a self bow, but I like to say, "What part of self bow don't you understand?" To me, there is nothing like satisfaction of teaching and watching the new bowyer as he admires his work.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
I worked up a new bow for a Christmas present for an old high school chum. Joe did some tiller work on his last year's project selfbow and added a skived handle wrap. The hunters from Maryland made their first bows and they were great ones!

My hunting story is the only deer that presented himself to me was one Joe had seen and named "the world record forkhorn". With his 14" spread, beautiful arced beams and year and a half old 90 lb body (thin as a bluegill from the top), I was able to just watch and hope he makes it passed the gun season to grow into some of his potential.

Joe has a top notch camera and will surely post some pics when he heads home Monday.

The men from Maryland have a few photos and  hunting tales to add, so tune back in later this week.

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 12:16:00 AM »
Very nice as always Shaun.
With the great year you had last year I was waiting for you to say you took a .......
Tim

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 12:27:00 AM »
Awesome, looking forward to more!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 12:31:00 AM »
I'v been waiting for this post.Glad to see everyone had a great time and a safe hunt.Can't wait to hear about the hunt.Thanks for the story and pics.
Leland

Offline wisconsin wood butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
great bows goodluck hunt'n.  GO VIKES!!!

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
Great job fellas....But PlEASE keep it coming  :campfire:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
Great story and pics. More please. BTW what did ya eat so far ?  :bigsmyl:  <><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
Great stuff guys , good job on the bows and good hunting

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
Nice Job Fellas,good looking bows. Thanks for the story Shaun.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
Guys, Words can't describe the incredible time we had with Joe and Shaun in WI. Got home after a nearly 14 hour drive about 2:30 am east coast time last night.

I already miss the guys and the great fun.

Shaun was very patient with me and my big-time lack of wood-working skills. He was able to show me how to take an Osage stave and turn it into a super cool looking bow that shoots great. Thank you!!!

Joe was not only a host without peer but also was able to teach me quite a few things that I can incorporate here in MD where we hunt. Great stand set ups and bucks were moving quite a bit...and the next week or two will only get better. Thank you!!!

Food was out of this world! I had never tasted Elk before but I now know that I could live on nothing else after having Joe's.

Great cabin. Super land with great hunting. But the best part was the friendships established. These two guys are everything that is GREAT about Trad Gang.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
This is the view standing in front of the cabin. If there is a "deer-e-er" looking piece of ground somewhere I havent seen it. Looks like they should be everywhere!

[/url] [/IMG]
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©