3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you hunt stand or ground  (Read 793 times)

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you hunt stand or ground
« on: October 31, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
Who hunts only on the ground and why
 who hunts only in a stand and why
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you hunt stand or ground
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
Both, depends on the spot and the wind...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
For me it just comes down to evaluating what's gonna give the best concealment and best shot opportunity at 15 yards and under.  I'll do whatever's necessary after that.

If I can get up a tree, that's usually my first choice.  The treestand usually allows you to pull off a shot undetected, and typically without things getting in the way of your shooting form.

If there's no tree suitable, I'll make a natural ground blind.  

Once in a while a spot will just naturally lend itself to a great ground ambush.  If I feel both options will work just as well as the other, I'll take the ground.  Less work    ;)
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
Depends on the situation and who I'm hunting with.  I love a good tree stand setup but it does kinda tie you down.  Being tied to a stand can actually be a good thing if it's in a good spot though.  Probably more guys have missed chances at deer because they got bored and decided to sneak around somewhere than any other cause I can think of.  Staying put in a good stand is critical during the rut.

If no tree is available, my Niff-T-Seat and a brushpile or my ground blind are my next choice.  A blind tucked up under some overhanging tree branches or set in tall weeds (taller than the blind) so it's not skylined is very quick and easy.

If I'm taking the kids, it's the ground blind almost every time.  They sit still better if I DON'T take the blind but they get tired of it quicker.  The ground blind lets them move around a bit and I don't have to be on their case to sit still.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Almost always form the ground. Killed my frist animal this year form treestand this spring. Mainly still hunt and ground blinds. But I am getting more into treestand hunting now.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
I hunt almost exclusively from the ground. I have a bad back and it's hard for me to sit for a long period of time,so hunting from the ground allows he to get up and move around to work the kinks out as needed. I usualy have several spots that I sit,so I can get up and stillhunt from place to place and it gives me a change of scenery. Other times I just get up and stretch,then sit back down and wait somemore.

(Besides,anything higher than a barstool gives me a nosebleed)  :scared:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline iacornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
I used to tree stand hunt only. Now I ground hunt since I have had deer walk within ten feet of me while I was sleeping in my hunting stool! It is startling to wake up and have deer eating around you! I figure it must have been my snoring that attracted them. I also find it easier to shoot more accurately straight on than at a down angle. I have had fewer misses this way.
Choose ye this day whom you shall follow, as for me and my household we shall follow the LORD.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »
Both ,I think a tree stand that is set up correctly will give you a better chance sometimes. A well set up ground blind can be just as good. Watch the wind in both cases and breakup your outline. I really like the ground the best. Most likely why I see so few deer!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
Hunting from a tree also allows you to see greater distance.  You may possibly see other movement patterns and be able to adjust your setup accordingly.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
Spot and stalk for me.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
Ground only. Never hunted from a tree stand. Not saying I wouldn't though but, you can't pattern Blacktails like you can Whitetails.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Ground only.  

Elk, Bear, Cougar and Blacktail deer around here are high movement animals that do not lend themselves to being patterned.  A hot area one day might be empty of animals the next 15 to 20.  Western Washington can be tough hunting.  Persistance and a lot of scouting can keep you on animals but you have to work hard for that to happen.  Needless to say.  Ground hunting is the the main way to stay successful.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
spot and stalk as i have never hunted from a tree stand. and any how i think the trees are for the birds.  :biglaugh:  and i like my feet on the ground
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
Ishiwaanbe said it exactly as i would. both depends on the wind and the area i'm hunting.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Last of the Breed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
I perfer the ground for multiple reasons, and only use a stand when scouting/hunting(i do my scouting while hunting).  I do get busted alot while on the ground though, but it sure is a rush getting that close.
1 John 1:7  , and the blood
of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
I use both depending on the wind.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
I am reading Fred Asbell's book on stalking and still hunting, It is sparking my interest into ground hunting. Ive been only in tree stands for over 25 years now. Im realizing that this limits my oportunities to only a couple of spots ( I only have 2 tree stands) I can build ground blinds for free ! verses one hundered dollar ladder stands. I could hunt my whole woods and anywhere else I have permission, instead of just limiting myself to 2 treestands. The reason I bought the book is I am also concerned with standing for hours in my tree stands, I cannot get comfortable shooting from the sitting position now that I took my training wheels off my bow !
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
Ground only for me though some times I sit a bit and/or make low impact ground blinds.  

Why - partly because I don't want to hump treestands around the woods, partly because I'm cheap, partly because I like being eye-level with the deer.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
I will hunt wherever i think my best chance at shooting a deer is.  If I am sleepy i will stay on the ground.  If I am entering a woods blind I stay on the ground.  I left my stands in WI when I moved to NY 6 years ago. I don't really miss them however I still enjoy properly placed stands from time to time.

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline A. Reagan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
I have had success on both, but the fall won't kill you. Its the sudden stop. Always place safety first and the hunt second, and you will live to repeat the adventure. My friend fell 8ft only and broke his back in 4 places. MD told him he was extremely lucky. He never wore a harness. Now he hunts only from the ground, and his back hurts off and on. Be careful
Andrew Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©