3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Camp Bastard" Ohio, with Paul Askew from Oregon in camp!!!(pics added)  (Read 1035 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Well we just got the camp open for our annual hunt. Some people ask why we go to camp when it's only 20 minutes from the house. Well every year we all take a week to get away and unload. We eat swell and enjoy the campfire. Did I say we eat swell!!!      :bigsmyl:      
Anyhow, Paul Askew(blacktailhunter) arrived safely last night from Oregon. Now paul was tired,in a new set of woods, and has never set eyes on this place in daylight hours. So this morning I walked him into his stand and 50 yards from his stand we jump up a buck. Good buck, not great. After settling Paul in I started to make my escape. I worked midnight so my bed was calling me. Well mother nature decided to help keep me awake and let loose. I was soaked by the time I hit the truck. But I was happy, I was at deer camp. With the bad weather I expected little deer movement. But Paul saw the sign of the weeks events to come. The first deer he saw was a decent buck dogging a doe!! Guess what that means, the rut has started!!! No shots this morning but he was pleased. Theres something about a breed of hunter that just sat in the pouring rain, 15 to 20 mph winds, in a strange place, and comes to the cabin with a smile on his face. It's going to be a good week, I can feel it. I'll be home on Wed. for a minute and I'll update everyone on Paul, and the gang at "Camp Bastard".  Until then, be safe and hunt hard. Later.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Camp Bastard" Ohio, with Paul Askew from Oregon in camp!!!(pics added)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
sounds like my kind of camp, hunt hard WHENEVER ya can and dam the torpedos (rain)!!!!! good luck guys and take some pic's for us.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
SWEEET! In the AM I leave for Zanesville and a week of bowhunting the Ohio rut.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
I camp close to home all the time. Nothing like a good deer camp.  :campfire:

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
Our camp opens in 4 days down south of you all about 70 miles!    :thumbsup:    

:campfire:    Charlie

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
When I was driving out this morning there was bucks all over the side of the road. Even saw a real dandy with his nose to the gorund.
Not sure how the evening unfolded for Paul and Rob but I never got a call, so probably no blood shed. I'll be leaving in the morning. The weather is looking perfect for the next week. It's times like these that I sometimes wish I hadn't filled my buck tag. SOMETIMES I said. I'll be chasing does and doing the cooking this week. We love to smoke so the smoker will be fired up. Lets see, Sun night-baby back ribs. Mon.-2" thick steaks on an open fire. Tue-Probably do some spaghetti. Wed.-smoked pulled pork. Thur.-smoked beef brisket. Fri/Sat.-leftovers.  No diets allowed at "Camp Bastard"! Until Wed.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
I love deer camp!  Especially with a good crowd of people not crabby drunks.

I didn't care for deer camp with crabby drunks. They kind of put a damper on the whole experience.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline longbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
Mike, I seen a real nice one today (11-1-09) just a little before nine o'clock coming down the trail that goes about 16 yards in front of my tree. This deer had some long tines and good main beems, not real wide maybe 17 inches inside. Four one one side for sure. But as luck would have it he turned and went back where he came from. I think he seen me reaching for my bow. He was the only one, no does. I don't think the rut is in full swing yet. Good luck to all you guys at camp. Hope Rob and Ben get a good one. See you at work Saturday night. I'm on vacation til then. I'll be hunting hard.  Chad

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
Our deer camp starts next Saturday morning. the Buffalo Tongue Traditional Bowhunters

:archer:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
Man, what a week. I gained 25 pounds. it's good to be home. Only bad thing is I have to go back to work tomorrow night. And work a double!!! The rut has been hit or miss this week, but blood was shed.  :bigsmyl:  I have to spend some time with the family tonight so i'll post the weeks events tomorrow. Until then.  :campfire:

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
Leatherneck,

As a blacktail hunter from Washington State, it sounds to me like you had good weather with only 20 mile an hour winds and some rain.  We call that good weather out here on the west coast, especially during November.  

I ams ure Paul can hack whatever your weather  can throw at him. Northwestern hunters know all to well what crappy weather is all about and hunt in it anyway. A hunting day here can go from sunny and 60, to sleet, rain, snow, sun, sleet, rain, sleet, sun, etc...

Looking forwar to seeing pictures and hearing stories.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
First I must apologize. Sorry it took so long to get this posted. It's been real busy around my house here lately. So here goes. As I told you all before, we like to try and invite someone to camp every year to spread the good fortune of having an awesome place to hunt. The deer don't always cooperate., but thats hunting. But one thing we always guarantee, you will not go hungry. I think Paul saw that first hand. heres a sample of what I'm talking about.
Preparing 9 racks of ribs for the smoker:

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
This next picture is my favorite. Work in progress. Love the smell of hickory smiking in the woods:

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
I think Hayden,Ben,and Rob couldn't wait before dinner so they needed a snack.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
OK, I'm making myself hungry. Back to hunting. Paul was hunting a bottom stand that usually is productive during the rut. Two little hollows dump into this flat and the bucks usually cruise here looking for does. Theres a 160 class 10 pointer running around this area where Paul is. Heres a couple of bucks by the stand the day before Paul arrived. The stand is in the background.

Yet another:

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
I must say that Paul hunted hard. Regardless of the weather, he was out morning and evening. I gave all the guys a few days and without meat on the pole, I went to work. With missingimpossible(Mike P.) in tow with camera, we went in search of a doe. The first night we came back with (I'm lucky here) too dark to see footage of me missing a skin head.    :scared:  

My favorite spot besides sitting in a tree. Looks like it's Haydens as well. Alot of lies told here!:

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
Good luck and have a great week.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
Now Paul was seeing this nice looking 8 pointer that he wanted to stick real bad. Problem was, the buck would not come by the stand when Paul was there. Paul seemed to be having a good time with sightings of multiple different bucks. It just seemed like we couldn't put things together for a shot. So onece again I venture out to put meat on the pole. This time I was able to connect on a doe. Reason I bring this up is when guys hunt as hard as Paul and the gang did people need a littl motivation late in the week to get the blood flowing again. Just seeing a deer on the pole got the guys pumped up again. Mission accomplished.  ;)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
So I decided to feed them all some more. How about a 2" Ribeye cooked over the fire:

Ben, are they done yet?

I think Paul and Rob were enjoying:

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
Back to hunting:
It was down to crunch time and Paul wanted to take some venison back to Oregon. So he decided to shoot the next deer that came by on Fri. Heres where Paul was perched:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©