3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Camp Bastard" Ohio, with Paul Askew from Oregon in camp!!!(pics added)  (Read 1034 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Camp Bastard" Ohio, with Paul Askew from Oregon in camp!!!(pics added)
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
Let me start this next part off by saying, Paul is a good shot. He practiced every day and drilled the bull under 20 yards. He was fully prepared physically and mentally to take a whitetail.
The next morning Paul had a young buck come in at 17 yards. Paul took his shot. The deer ran off and Paul came back to the camp.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
We have a rule that nobody goes after a deer until all in camp get to go. Everybody gets to experience the fun. Heres the guys going into the stand area.

Paul on point tracking like a blood hound:

“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
Paul said he saw the arrow hit high. We tracked this deer for some ways until we saw it running acrossed the hill without any ill effects. I'm certain this buck was hit in the void between the vitals and the spine and will live.
I bring this up for one reason only. Not to embaress Paul by any means. But to let him know that this happens to all of us. God knows I've done it more than once.Those that don't know Paul, he's new to trad. And as I said before, he jumped in with both feet. He was pretty discouraged about wounding a deer. This showed me alot about his character. Some people just don't care,but Paul was upset. He started questioning his preparation and skill. I put a stop to this immediately!!! His skill and preparation was beyond ready. This is an unfortunate part of bowhunting. I encouraged him, as I would ask all of you to do as well, to continue with traditional archery. He would be a loss to our sport if he went back.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
Sorry we don't have any big buck pictures to show. But I hope you enjoyed our week as much as we did. We were happy to have Paul in our camp and I believe he had a good time. As luck would have it, the bucks went crazy the next week. Thats hunting.
Paul made it back to Oregon OK. Hopefully he took a few memories of his hunt. He probably slept better without the snoring that went on in camp.lol I wear earplugs it gets so bad   :scared:

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
As I type this story, the mailman knocks on my door. And to my surprise a package arrived from Paul. When I opened it my eyes were amazed. Pauls better half made this item for us to hang at our camp. We will be honored!!! Thanks Paul and your girlfriend for a wonderfull plaque. This is not a drawing, but she burned it in the plaque. Alot of work I'm sure!

BTW- Most know that our camp name is "Camp Bastard". Well we named Paul "Western Bastard". Hence the back of the plaque.
Keep at it my friend and thank you!!!

Mike

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
cool story mike! nice pics as well!
can i be the mass. bastard?? and when do you want me to come down???  :thumbsup:
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
Thats kool, Thanks Paul.We saw a few big ones that week but no shots.I hope to get it done after youth hunt this weekend.The kids are pumped.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
now thats what i call awesome!!!!!  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »
Looks and sounds like you all had an AWESOME time!!!!

Good luck to all!!

How 'bout a "coshocton Bastard?"-----need one?  :bigsmyl:    :biglaugh:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
I love deer camp!  Especially with a good crowd of people not crabby drunks.

I didn't care for deer camp with crabby drunks. They kind of put a damper on the whole experience.
camp like being married gotta choose carefully !
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
Thanks Mike felt like I was with you. Memories like those will stay with you forever.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Longbow Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
Looks like a ton of fun how bout burg bastard.   :bigsmyl:
Death Before Dinner.  God is my camera man.   I Love Motorcycles and I Love Bow Hunting But I don't Mix The two I don't put wheels on my Bows

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
I had an incredible experience with the guys in Ohio. I was going to do a post myself, but I have been having a hard time after wounding that buck as to telling the story about the hunt. I have told my friends about the bad hit, but don't generally share that info. The guys are experienced and believe the deer will live, so that gives me some solice.

Although I really wanted too, I opted out of the last evening hunt, because I didn't want to make a bad hit and then not have the time to wait overnight as my plane left early the next morning.

Outside of getting cold like normal, the weather was awesome.

I had never seen so many deer in my life. I passed on a couple of bucks early in the hunt, it slowed down and then I decided to take the next deer that came in. I made a shot that was a little high and apparently in that void area above the lungs. We waited 3 hours, tracked for an hour, bumped the buck and he took off looking no worse for the wear.

After that shot, I almost called it quits. I've made a couple of bad shots with my compound and rifle for that matter, but I was questioning whether I should still hunt trad. I have only lost a couple with the compound in almost 20 years, so losing an animal is not something that has happened to me very often.

Mike's words were encouraging and did help, but there is no worse feeling in my mind other than losing a friend than wounding an animal.

yep, the food was great. The night the guys were having rib eye steaks, I opted out for the left over smoked ribs    :D    

I had planned to take lots of pictures, but I seemed to be so tired most of the time that all I did was hunt, eat, and sleep LOL. It was almost like I was in a transe the whole week LOL.

The first 3 days were insane to me. I saw 3 to 5 bucks a day, which for me is a lot.

I live in Blacktail country and bucks are far and few between. Ohio is crawling with bucks.

The only reason I passed on the smaller fellas early was the fact that I was seeing bigger bucks within 100 yards of my stand, the guys told me to hold out the first part of the hunt, because I knew it could happen at any time. That and the fact that the area was like a deer factory and I didin't figure it would be a problem to harvest one in the last day or two.

Well, I would have been right if my arrow was placed a little lower, but I didn't pull it off.

A big thanks to the guys for having me out there and treating me like a king. I had nothing too want for the whole trip. I am use to being the one in charge and showing others a good time, so it felt kind of odd for me to be pampered LOL.

I feel honored to have been a guest with such a fine group of guys. The guy I think I connected best with was Mike P. or Missingimpossible. Well if you watch him shoot Missing IS possible LOL Sorry Mike I had to get you back a little bit for all of the your jokes that I was the brunt of LOL.

Missingimpossible Mike P. is about the witiest guy I have ever met. His jokes or stings as I refer to them are non-stop and we were always laughing. Basically, if you open your mouth, he will figure out a way to twist it into something humorous. Most of the time it is some what sick and twisted but it is always funny.

If you watch his face while someone is speaking, he is contemplating how to sting you LOL. I know there is Camp Bastard, Fat Bastard, Little Bastard, but I don't know what they call Mike P., so I told my wife that he is the Smart Bastard.

Anyway, it was a great time. I plan to return and hunt the public land across the road at some point in the future, possibly next year.

As I said before, anytime any of you 4 want to come out here and hunt elk, you are always welcome.

Thanks guys,

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by leatherneck:
As I type this story, the mailman knocks on my door. And to my surprise a package arrived from Paul. When I opened it my eyes were amazed. Pauls better half made this item for us to hang at our camp. We will be honored!!! Thanks Paul and your girlfriend for a wonderfull plaque. This is not a drawing, but she burned it in the plaque. Alot of work I'm sure!

BTW- Most know that our camp name is "Camp Bastard". Well we named Paul "Western Bastard". Hence the back of the plaque.
Keep at it my friend and thank you!!!

Mike

Mike,

I told the Ol'lady to do something original, and she needed something to start with, so she had me stand there and draw my bow.

The next day I look at what she has started to draw and it is a picture of me shooting at a whitetail LOL.

I guess it is original LOL.

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2009, 01:51:00 AM »
Keep the string tight and the groups small my friend.

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2009, 02:20:00 AM »
good place and good friends ! bravo !
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline Jim@ThunderStick

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
I haven't been on here much lately and missed this thread. I can tell you from experance that those Ohio boys know to treat ya and show ya lots of deer. I might also add they feed ya a little. I got to hunt with them a few days last year, never saw so many deer or ate so much in my life. No doubt, one of the best hunts with some of the best company I've ever been on. Did I mention we ate a little. I guess it a good thing we've had an east wind here , otherwise I would have smelled those ribs cookin  and been there before they were done. I gotta tell ya that pulled pork ain't bad either. We did hunt a little between meals. All kidding aside. One of the best hunts ever. I'll never forget it. Thanks again to a great bunch of guys.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©