3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Button Buck's Challenge.  (Read 1273 times)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Button Buck's Challenge.
« on: April 07, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
Well guys, I have this lemonwood bow; it's 40# at 28" draw...66'ish inches between the nocks...with a newly wrapped handle (rawhide).
It is a York (Woodcraft Equipment Co.) from about the late 40's and shoots great.  Photos are attached.

Here's the deal:   I will send this bow, free of charge,  to a young archer who is into traditional/primitive archery.  All we need to do is find the right person, and tell us why that person should get the bow.

If the list gets too large, then we could vote on the winner.  What do all of you think.  This is a very nice, very old shootable bow that could serve one well to get them started or advanced in the antiquity of the sport.

By the way...I call it Button Buck because it seems like an offspring of my Ol' Buck...just lighter.       :help:    

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Button Buck's Challenge.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 09:50:00 AM »
Heck of a gesture GDS..good on ya    :notworthy:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »
Great reading for me and my son.  I appreciate people like you on this site doing things like this.  It provides a great topics for conversation for us about being quality people.  We both feel that there is someone out there more in need of a bow like this but wanted to let you know that you made a difference in his life by creating an opportunity for a good talk and a life lesson.

Thank you
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
George,

I have a 12 year old son that was born without the corpus-collosum betweeen the hemishpehres of his brain. As a result, Trey had had to learn to do everyhting independant from one side of his body to the other..
At 3 months of age he was diagnosed, Drs. said that he might never walk, talk and would likely have stunts put in his cranium to stop swelling.
Well Trey defied the odds, he can walk, he talks okay, maybe a bit behind the norm and he does have slight bio-mechanical abnormalities.
2 weeks ago, Trey was shooting to his great joy a 20# longbow we have here. He was loving it! He will grow to be a big kid, he is almost as tall as me at 12 years old.
I know George that in a year or so, 40#'s would be good for him, I would be happy  to see him as the recipient of such a kind gesture.

Thanks,
Cary.  here is a pic of Trey after a morel harvest.

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
My son is getting started in Trad Archery with a Ragim Polaris and is pulling it at 28#.  I would love for him to receive this bow and be able to go turkey hunting with us and then be able to use it for deer when he is old enough which is in about 3 years.  I am excited that he has gotten into this sport and that we can share time shooting and hunting together.

Thanks for giving this opportunity to a lucky child out there.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
We will keep a list on this thread if it is okay with administration (?).   I would like some volunteers to help pick the winner after awhile.  How about it guys...volunteers?

Big Dog...That's a nice bunch of Morels.  Ours will start here in Pa. this month.

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 03:22:00 PM »
GDS,

That is last may...snowing here today, we are still a long ways out for morels!!

BD

Offline bullofthewoods

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
George, what a great gesture.  I would like to put my friend's son Peter in for consideration.  

Jack's own children are grown and he adopted Peter when he was about two.  Peter was born with fetal alcohol syndrome which caused some obvious problems.  He has hearing problems which have improved with hearing aids, but still has a speech impediment and learning disability.  Peter is now about eleven and has also had multiple (like 7 or 8) surgeries on his foot and ankle for a birth defect.  Peter still walks with a limp, although he can walk.

The last time I saw Peter he was toting around a red fiberglass bow and flinging arrows pretty well, and quite happily I might add.  He has definitely outgrown the toy bow and is ready for something bigger.

Again, thanks for such a grand gesture.  Sean

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »
I was going to tell why I deserve the bow but that wouldn't be right on my part me being 17 id like to have the bow but there are more deserving kids out there then me I have money to get my own bows and have 2 more coming so its just not right God is telling me its wrong. After reading some of the stories on here there are some deserving kids could I be a volunteer to help pick the winner?
           God Bless
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 08:34:00 AM »
Great idea, George!  That's what I love about this site, there's no lack of genuine good people willing to do things for others!

Nothing better than seeing a kid shoot a stickbow!

Keep it up, sir!

Lee

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
2blade....you are wise beyond your seventeen years.  I would love to have you as one of the judges and I know the folks here will second that motion.  

George

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »
Very nice offer!
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »
George could you send me a PM when you get everything figured out and tell me how we will judge if I get elected?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
I second 2Blade being the judge. Young man I am very proud of your honesty and integrity. If there's ever anything you need, please don't hesitate to ask. Always follow that little voice you here when making decisions!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
Mr. Stout I'll help judge the entry's If you want. Just let me know.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
George

I'll be a judge if you want?  Just shoot me a email?

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
Having spent time with Ol Buck I would love to serve as a judge. Let me know!

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
Greetings and thanks for the offer.    A friend of mine has an 11yr old boy.  He got to go hunting with his father last year and has really showed great interest in hunting.  His father is trying to get everything set up this year for him to actually go hunting where the 11yr old is the hunter and not just a spectator.   I am taking care of getting him set up with a Hunter’s Ed class this summer.  (I’m an instructor)  I am also getting him set up as a member of the NWTF Wheeling Sportsman and the Jakes program  
   I really want to help him out because the 11yr old is in a wheelchair.  He has been in one all his life.  As an infant he was diagnosed with spinal bifida.   I have watched this 11yr old grow up.  They are residents of the town I patrol.  (I’m a Police Officer).  In the summer for the past several years I drive by his house and would see him in the driveway playing ball with his friends.  I always would turn on my siren for him and he always got a kick out of it.  He is a very nice and well mannered kid.
 We are going to try to get him shooting a recurve or longbow.   We think he can do this in his wheel chair.  
   Neither one of them know I am putting them in for this so if you know them please do not tell them. Thanks, Jim
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
Ok, My son Andrew is turning 10 on May 7 th. According to the NJ Fish and Wildlife, Andrew will be old enough to take all of the hunter safety classes and upon passing he will be allowed to hunt with an adult 21 years old and over. Andrew has been shooting traditional bows since I gave him a 15# recurve bow on his 6th birthday. HE has since moved up to a 25# recurve and shoots it well. In order to take the shooting portion of the archery test one must use a bow no lighter than 35#. This weight is also the NJ state minimum draw weight.
Here's the delemma. I had offered to buy Andrew a new compound bow with a 35# draw weight. I even brought him to the bow shop to look at some compounds. Upon looking at the compounds Andrew firmly insisted that he is not interested in shooting a compound. He wants to shoot a traditional bow or nothing at all.
I know that there are other children that are posted here for this bow with some physical problems. I have been blessed with a healthy if not at times stubborn son. But I have been looking for a bow in the 35-40# range but I've been unsuccessful so far. I would appreciate it if you might consider my son Andrew for this bow.

Thank you,
Larry W.
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
One more time before we decide.

Users currently browsing this topic: