3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Release With A Longbow?  (Read 892 times)

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
Release With A Longbow?
« on: November 01, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
Has anyone tried a release with a longbow or other? I'd like to fool with one here in the off season & check out the accuracy difference with a cleaner string release. I know it's not for all but I love fiddling with things & make things fresh! (grin) Hand-held or wrist release better? Thanks!

ElkNut1

Offline QUINT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Release With A Longbow?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
Hand held, and you will neet a snug nock fit, and maybe a nock under(depends on the type of release,rope or hook).

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
Easy enough to try. Maybe a loop? You really like to stir the pot   ;)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
No Sir, no pot stirring intended! I'm serious as a heart attack in seeing the performance difference between my fingers releasing the string as opposed to a release aid. If it's significant I would seriously consider it for hunting purposes. It's the off season for myself so a perfect time to experiment! (grin)

So I'm looking for guys who have tried it! It just may save me a little trial & error! Thanks!

ElkNut1

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
I fooled with using one a couple years back when I had a Morrison Cheyenne.  I used a loop and wrist release.  The accuracy is much better since you are taking your fingers out of the picture eliminating poor release and string torque.  You also pull more consistently with your back since the release is around your wrist.  It seemed like a compromise between trad and wheels.  If I ever develop arthritis bad enough, I might do just that.

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
Arthritis in my hands and fingers makes it impossible to shoot more than a few shots with fingers. Even after a few shots my fingers are so sore I can't shoot for a week. So I got a Trophy Hunter release and have never looked back.Having the strap around my wrist allowes me to pull 10# more with comfort and it is way more accurate than sore fingers.You need a fairly snug fit between nock and serving and I nock under my tied on nock point to keep the arrow from slipping up the string when you draw.I know its not trad but my choise is shoot with a realease or not shoot at all.  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
It is still trad in my eyes when you shoot a bow with no let off and no sights.  Some times you have to do what you have to do to play you favorite sport.  Incidentally, I had 3 smashed fingers when I tried the release.  I can vouch first hand that it allowed me to shoot but with more consistency.  Accuracy is still all up to you.

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
My wife, Greywolf has finger problems as well. Arthur has set in and she can not shoot fingers. I put a ultra nock (metal loop)solid on string of a Recurve bow we just got her. This does away with pinching agaisn't the arrow on a short bow, and bought her a Winn release. She can pull back with her wrist and grab the bar in it easy enough. And a touch of the trigger she is in busniess. She shoots it pretty darn good,this way. She wants to stay as traditonal as possible and no training wheels. This is the only way we will do it and have her shoot acurately..
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
I shoot my longbow with a release. Not an over the counter job but one I made myself. The problem I found with switching to a release was that most of them would cause me to lose drawlength or change my corner of the mouth anchor to maintain drawlength. I shoot instinctive so changing my sight picture was out of the question. This is what I came up with,

This is the very first one I made and it has been refined since. It's latest incarnation is as quiet as shooting fingers.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
Deadsmple, do you have a picture or two of your release ??

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
i played around with a carter release a few rounds,very accurate but to me it doesn't feel like traditional anymore.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
Deadsmple, what in the world was that thing in your hand? It doesn't look like a release!

Guys, do not feel like you have to explain yourself why or who uses a release. It doesn't matter to me what an individual shoots or hunts with, use what works, if it's legal I'm all for it!

I personally enjoy the weight & feel of my longbow but if I can better myself so the arrow is delivered in a more superior manner then I'm all for it. I want to dispatch all animals as humanely & quickly as possible, I find most issues stem from ones release of the string & I'm no exception! (grin)

I'm really not concerned who feels what about some who wish to experiment with such ideas, just looking for some info from those who have tinkered with it & what releases seem to have the advantages.  I too would assume a wrist release would allow ones to draw the wt. easier as CanadaBowyer mentions. Thanks!

ElkNut1

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by elknut1:
 I want to dispatch all animals as humanely & quickly as possible, I find most issues stem from ones release of the string & I'm no exception! (grin)

I'm really not concerned who feels what about some who wish to experiment with such ideas, just looking for some info from those who have tinkered with it & what releases seem to have the advantages.  I too would assume a wrist release would allow ones to draw the wt. easier as CanadaBowyer mentions. Thanks!   ElkNut1
Couldn't agree more.  "Traditional" like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.  Once you get past whether the bow has wheels or not, the definitions really start to become matters of taste or preference and in the final analysis "all tastes are tastes."  (Quote is Kurt Vonnegut.)
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
Here's a pick of the release used in my little video. This was my first attempt at making these so it's not the one I'm currently using. The one I'm currently using much quieter than this one.

All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
Elknut1, I recently went to a handheld release with my recurve. ( I had the handheld laying around, so that's the reason for that choice.) When I used to shoot a compound, I used a release because of a severe case of target panic. The panic is still there, and after a handful of misses on a mulie hunt in September, I tried the release with my release. Besides the nock-set above, I put two nock-sets below the nock and anchor along my cheekbone. That combination gives me a similar point of impact as my shooting three-under, plus it doesn't go off uncontrolled. Give it a try, and good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
knobby, great info, thank you! It just so happens I too am a 3 finger under shooter at present as well. The hand held may just be the ticket to try & still maintain my same draw length, what do you think, did your draw length shorten at all that you may have noticed?

ElkNut1

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »
I tried my Winn Free Flight and just didnt like it. It did make the bow easier to pull, but I wasnt as accurate with it. It seemed loud to me also.....Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
Thanks, you're the 2nd one that has mentioned the noise/loudness of the shot? I never considered that to be a factor, interesting! I'll keep that in mind! Thanks!

ElkNut1

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
Elknut1, I'd say I may have lost a half inch in draw length, probably not even that much. I guess I wouldn't worry about that at all.
   The noise factor that was mentioned is something that I,too, thought about, because it does seem louder...to the shooter! We were shooting at deer camp yesterday, and one friend commented on how quiet my bow is. I was surprised, because I thought it was louder with the release. Fellow member Schlaggerman agreed that it still is quiet. The noise I'm hearing as the shooter, is because the release is right next to my ear. That explains what I hear, verus what the non-shooter hears.
   I'm using a Tru-Fire Stalker release, but I'd bet that most releases could be used. It just takes a little time getting used to the feel of a slightly different anchor.
                           knobby

Offline TC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
This thread is very timely for me as I've been thinking of using a release also, for a number of reasons. I do have a few questions.

First, will a release cause accelerated wear on the string? Would it be better to use a loop on the string?

Second, is using a release harder on the bow limbs than finger shooting? I was thinking that using a release causes more vibration and is more stressful on the limbs. I could be way off base.

Thanks,
Tony

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©