3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KME Knife Sharpener  (Read 799 times)

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
KME Knife Sharpener
« on: November 01, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has used the diamond stones and the standard stones that come with the kit.  What are the standard stones made from.  Which do you like better.  I know you can purchase both types of stones, just wondering if the diamond stones work that much better.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: KME Knife Sharpener
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
Man, if I could get a knife any sharper by using the diamond stones, I would be afraid to even look at my knives!

I believe the diamond stones are a bit more aggressive at removing metal, but I think it's easier to get a fine razor-sharp edge with the Arkansas stones.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
I just ordered one from KME Thursday. Talked with Ron for about 20 minutes in the morning before placing order.
I was asking about sharpening hunting knives, kitchen knives, and broadheads. He actually recommended I use the kit with the stones, and not the diamond kit.
I liked that suggestion because it saved me some money! But I just spent it anyway, cause I went ahead and purchased a broadhead sharpener too! Even though he said I really didn't need it if I was buying the knife sharpener. Guess I just like new toys!   :thumbsup:  
Don't believe in having idle tools lying around!

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
I modified my stone holder to hold my DMT mini diamond stone hones. Worked great and simple to do.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
I don't have the KME knife jig...so I don't know exactly what type of 'standard' stone come with it or what type of diamond stones come with it.

However, I've spent some time on Arkansas-style stones, waterstones, and diamond stones.

Diamonds will work a little bit faster if everything else is equal.  Diamond stones may last longer (a lot of variables)...they WON'T last forever like they (not Ron, but the diamond people) advertise.  You can get edges of equal quality using any type of stone.  Process and technique may change if you're real real picky about your edge but the finish products can be of equal quality.

If you're not using the stones to remove A LOT of material on some really hard steels (Broadheads tend to be rather soft compared to knives) my personal opinion is you gain nothing from the diamond stones EXCEPT that they stay perfectly flat. I have them for that reason alone for my straight razors and waterstones. I'd by the standard stones without hesitation.
Micah 6:8

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
Standard. Ron's a class act!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
How long should it take to Sharpen a STOS broadhead with the Arkansas stone?

I've been at it for an hour and the stinking thing seems duller than when it came out of the package.

Other than sharpening a pencil the only ones I've been able to get an edge on are Magnus. Thought I'd try the STOS this year.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
Pronghorn, if I HAD to make a bet on what is happening I'd say you've spent a good bit of that time on a stone that is not the coarsest.

Biggest mistake I see my buddies doing is thinking that the real time-killer is the finer stones.  Not true.  90% of my time is spent on the coarser stones.

Maybe Ron or someone who has a KME and STOS heads can chime in.  I'd take a sharpie or a marks-a-lot and blacken the whole edge.  Then sit down with the coarsest stone.  Grind until you've got shiny metal all the way to the edge.  Then keep grinding until the head will shave hair (albiet roughly).  THEN you can go to the medium stone. Then to the finest stones.

I might have just wastes both our times, but if that does help you and someone else reading this thread it was well worth it.

Making something freaky sharp is on of life's simple pleasures for me.

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Thank you for the tips.
I colored the edge and filed til it was all shiny but couldn't get it to shave hair.

Sometimes it seems I'd get them 'sharp' but each finer stone would make them less sharp.

I gave up for the night. I'll probably just ship them up to Ron for him to sharpen.

Another reason to try knapping.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
Hmmm....sent a short PM so we don't hijack the thread too badly.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 05:04:00 AM »
Sounds to me like you're putting too much downward pressure on the stones. Just glide the stone across the head - NO downward pressure other than the weight of the stone and carrier. And once they start getting sharp, flip the head after each stroke.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 06:40:00 AM »
i LOVE the kme!  i went with diamonds only 'cause it uses water for lube and not oil.  those diamonds cut FAST!  

for knives and broadheads the kme is THE way to go, forget all those other sharpening devices, they pale in comparison to the kme.  

i use the kme knife model for both knives and twin/four blade broadheads, and not only a time saver but the resulting blades are PERFECTLY razor sharp.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 07:27:00 AM »
We sell the KME and I use mine all the time.  I like the stones over the diamond for most jobs.  I did get an extra course diamond from Ron for those heads I messed up with a file.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
I love my KME. After using a file to get the angle on my Grizzlies I get them very sharp with kme. KME knife sharpener insures that you get a consistent angled bevel through out your edge, which is very important. Very had to do by hand, in my opinon.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
I use the diamond to hog off metal when setting the first angle.  After that, its stones.  All the info above is good.

As Ron has said, most errors are (1) going through the stones too fast, and (2) too much pressure.

The STOS are very easy to sharpen once you get the angle correct.  Eclipse - that is another story, and the knife sharpener is a must with the curvature, and the laminated tip.  Been through lots of coaching sessions with Ron on these.

Great systems!  Great guy!

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
I just got the KME system, and have a question about oil and water.  Unless I am misreading things, they recommend using the stones with the oil that is included with the stone.  I guess that means putting a few drops of oil on the stone and rubbing it around before sharpening with it?  Then they recommend washing the stones off with soap and water, to clean the metal shavings off the stone, I guess?  How does that work, using oil for cutting and soap and water for cleaning?  I thought you used oil to clean an oil stone, and soap and water to clean a water stone.  Is this incorrect?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
KME = Top shelf (products and service)
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
McDave:

Actually, Ron suggests using fluids like Gunk's Liquid Wrench as a lubricating medium when sharpening, and cleaning stones with brake cleaner.  I have been using these for two years now with excellent results.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
I was told during a knife sharpening seminar to use kerosene on your stones. It will not allow the stone to get dirty. It suspends the metal pieces and stuff and wipes off when you are done. Seems to work good.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
Bob, next time you need a can, try carb cleaner instead of brake cleaner. I use it on just about anything...it's much less harsh than brake cleaner and still works just as well.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©