3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KME Knife Sharpener  (Read 798 times)

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: KME Knife Sharpener
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
JC,

will try the next time.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Won't melt plastic like brake cleaner will...don't ask me how I figured that out    :rolleyes:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
ouch  "[dntthnk]"

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
Thanks folks.  Good info here.  I'll probably get the standard and then add the diamond stones later.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
Sorry for the delay everyone...   :banghead:  

Answer to question 1: Diamond stones vs. standard (ceramic/Arkansas).

Diamonds are very aggressive and will take a blade from very dull to very sharp quickly. They're great for speed sharpening and for blades made from very hard steels. Diamonds aren't even in the same league with the standard stones when it comes to polishing to a true surgical edge though.

Lots of good advice posted but Soilarch and BobW pretty much nailed it... Whenever I coach someone having trouble sharpening a knife or BH, the problem is almost invariably one of two things: Either progressing through the grits too quickly or pushing too hard on the sharpener or stone.

Progressing through the grits too quickly: Coarse and x-coarse stones are our friends!!! They'll save a lot of sweat, time, and cussin. It's at the coarsest stage of sharpening that the cutting edge is actually formed. Following up with progressively finer grit stones will only polish the edge we created with the coarse stone in the beginning. If we got the edge nice and sharp on the coarse stone, then the finer grits will quickly refine and polish that edge to hair plowing sharp...If we left the coarsest stone prematurely, before bringing the bevels to a complete and true intersection, then the finer stones will polish the bevels beautifully but, they won't get the blade any sharper. In other words, don’t leave your coarsest stone till the blade is very sharp… and I mean very sharp. It will be a coarse feeling sharp but sharp enough that you sure wouldn’t want to run your finger down the blade.

Pushing too hard on the stone or pushing too hard on the BH sharpener: Since we’re grinding steel on some level when sharpening, human nature and logic suggests that if we push harder, we’ll speed things up a bit… Nope… doesn’t work like that. Pushing down harder on the stone or sharpener will cause the blade to flex and once the blade flexes, the consistent angle goes out the window. With light pressure the stones will cut very efficiently and the angle will remain precise at all times… and we all know that holding a consistent angle is the most important aspect of sharpening anything.

Did I miss anybody? Thanks,

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
Got my kme knife sharpener in the mail yesterday. Immediately commenced to sharpening stuff. Was able to get both a pocket knife and a zwickey 2 blade sharp. Not shaving sharp, but sharp. Came back and read thru this thread but still no dice. Think I'll have to give Ron a call this afternoon. Can he work his magic over the phone without me having the sharpener in front of me?
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Yes, Ron can help, even over the phone. I suspect it's a simple fix, like not staying on the course stone quite long enough before progressing on to the finer stones. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
he will likely want you to have your sharpener in hand as he talks you through it.

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
15 minutes on the phone with Ron and I now have no hair on my legs....   :p  Geeze, that didn't sound right!

Thanks Ron! Super product and super service!  :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Alright you guys talked me into it.
I just sent for  the knife sharpner kit with stones.
I think I will keep the hair on my legs but the dog better look out.

John

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2011, 07:16:00 AM »
I've tried many different sharpeners with mediocre success over the years.  Ron's system sounds down right deadly.  I need to get me one of these things.  I'm sure it will be money well spent.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
Excellent product!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »
Just got a knife sharpener in the mail from Ron.  First, what a class act that man is!  Second, this system is unreal.  The coarse stone will establish a bevel very quick and then it literally takes just seconds to put a hair-poppin', scary edge on the blade.  If you are looking for excellent, made in the USA product from a rock solid person, order a KME!

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
Not only is Ron available but he's one of us!  If you talk to him, the conversation shifts from sharpening to archery to hunting to broadheads etc.
What was big was not the antlers, but the chance. What was full was not the meatpole but the memory of the hunt.    --Aldo Leopold

Offline goatkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
You don't want to push too hard with the coarse diamond. A light touch works and the diamonds will last longer. And don't go to a finer grit till it shaves with the coarse diamond.

I use violin strokes along the whole bevel till you see alternating bands of light and dark all across the bevel, than long sweeping strokes from the tip of the knife into the hilt. Then flip and stroke, flip and stroke. And then you get a hair popping sharp edge.
Maki-Mato

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©