3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: LB grip discovery  (Read 342 times)

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
LB grip discovery
« on: November 01, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
The rookie just made a great discovery today.  I was shooting the LB and still having impact high/left (w/cant).  Having same impact groups fletched vs bare shaft.

Then I look down at my shelf after a shot and the bow is torqued left.  Odd.

I thought my grip was on.  But still too much of my old recurve grip in me.  I layed the bow down and picked it back up with my palm flat against the side, then wrapped my fingers around her.

Bam, bam, bam.  Grouping 3 of 4 in the 3 inch circle every round.  The 4th one not far outside the ring.

The grip feels odd but the bow is staying on target and even better, the arrows are hitting the target.

Is this the grip style you use with a LB?  More of a "side hold" rather than a "behind it" hold?

Having fun learing.  Thanks everyone for all the info.  This site is a treasure trove of knowlege, wisdom , and experience.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: LB grip discovery
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
uh oh, cat's outta the bag, you've discovered my secret weapon bow grip.    :saywhat:      ;)  

meat of thumb on the grip's center, weight on the thumb/forefinger 'yoke'.  this greatly reduces induced riser torque during the release, and no longer a need for an armguard.    :cool:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
I grip my recurve with the same grip on it and the same grip on a LB never done it intentionally but it's nice to know I was accidentley doing it right I guess
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
the one and ONLY rule about shooting bows is to do it in a consistent manner.  do whatever you gotta do to make accuracy happen all the time.  there are no other engraved in stone rules.  particularly when it comes to trad bowhunting form.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
the one and ONLY rule about shooting bows is to do it in a consistent manner.  do whatever you gotta do to make accuracy happen all the time.  there are no other engraved in stone rules.  particularly when it comes to trad bowhunting form.
I second Rob's motion.

Bisch

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
One of the Masters of the Bare Bow videos suggested holding the bow in your bow hand at your side as if you were picking up a bucket. I believe this comes pretty close to the grip you are describing. I found it worked for me too.

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
Steve, yes.  Good discription.. picking up a bucket of water.

I have the MBB series on my Xmas wish list.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Does yor longbow have a classic Hill style grip?  Steve Turay of Northern Mist said the Hill style grip works best with a hold to the side.  He pointe out that the second joint on your thumb should line up with the arrow, instead of the web of your hand.  It seemed to work except it felt odd and I didn't shoot it long enough to get used to it.  I don't own a Hill style bow.  My LB has an idexed grip.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
With a straight handle Hill style bow, a good place to start is to align the thumb JOINT, not to be mistaken for knuckle, but the thumb joint along the center line of the bow.  You must also have the support of the bow hand behind the center of the bows balance point.  This will align the bones of the wrist and give you a strong neutral bow hand centered behind the bow so that both limbs return smoothly upon loose of the arrow.  If you mistake the thumb knuckle for the thumb joint, you will be rolling your wrist and grip around and will have a week bow hand.  The straight handle Hill style bow is gripped like a pistol.

Best

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
It is indexed, similar to BW PL.  I was holding it with what seemed to be the majority of my lower palm, everything below the thumb joint parrallel to the wrist.  When I changed the grip it was just the thumb joint "behind" the bow and some of the meaty part of the thumb, but none of the lower part of the hand.

I went back and looked at Asbell's I.S. II and now I think I understand what he was getting at.  I am understanding it's a feel thing and hard for anyone to explain well on paper or internet forums.  Well OK, maybe it is just hard for me to UNDERSTAND on paper.
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
I noticed holding with the meat of the thumb/palm I wasnt hitting my arm with the string anymore and getting good arrow flight out of my Toelke Classic

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
Yep, Started using more of my "heel" or "meat of my thumb as Rob says" and things really improved. I dont wear an armgaurd either
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©