3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do you think this buck scores?  (Read 751 times)

Offline Autumn Whitetails

• Trad Bowhunter
What do you think this buck scores?
« on: November 01, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
My trail camera took this these photos last week.What do you guys think it scores?I'm not used to seeing deer like this.

Thanks,
Marc

Autumn Whitetails

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do you think this buck scores?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
nice deer
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
I would say somewhere around 120, but I'm far from being any good at it. I can't really see his spread! Hope you get a crack at him!
Conny

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
In the 120 to 125 range. It's a super nice buck, any buck with a bow is a trophy.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  To give you an idea, the buck in my avatar was a typical main frame eight point and it scored 145 0/8.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
To me, it's an 8 pointer.  Never killed anything that big or seen anything that big while hunting, so I unfortunately never had the need for a scoring system beyond the number of points.

He's a dandy - Go get him!!!
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
Frankly  I think that is a darned nice buck, and is fit for anyone, whether or not they are "needing the meat!"

I would never cheapen the sport by defining a trophy by numbers.  I never understood that and never will.  You should be proud to take a buck like that in fair chase, and not have to feel like it isn't worthy of taking.  It's a good buck.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
Enough, shoot him!
samuel koger

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
I have a question.  How old is he?  I am trying to get better at guessing deer age.

Nice buck-go for him!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
I would guess he scores high enough for an arrow! Nice buck. As for age, I would guess 3.5, but that is only a guess.

My system doesnt go on points or age, reckon?  :goldtooth:
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
I would rate him as a solid "10".  Seeing him around is more than enough to get ya' up before the clock goes off!   :eek:
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
Can't tell the spread but most likely 120 plus or minus a bit. But it really don't matter, Thats a fine mature whitetail that I would love to get a crack at!!! Good hunting, see if you can get him!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
Probably 120ish, if you get the chance to shoot im, your internal gauge will tell ya what to do!! LOL
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
well said George.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
I would shoot him for sure. Good looking buck.

Score = 120-125 This was my guess even before catching a few other posts.

I agree with George though, I don't know that I would ever measure anything other than the memories and wall space required!

GO GET IM!
-Charlie

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
I'll tell you how I score...
Scrub buck... Decent buck... Nice buck... Dandy buck and finally Monster buck.
 So with that scoring system I would say He's a Dandy buck, not quite a Monster but he sure is a Dandy that's for sure.
When I shot my first trad deer I had five bucks come in on me at once lingering about 30 to 40 yards out two where that big or a little bigger one was a nice little basket rack 8 and the one tht finally got close enough to stick was a Dandy little 3 pointer. Best deer I ever killed.
 Good luck cause now that i'm looking at him compared to my Dandy trad buck I'd say he just might fall into the Monster category at least when I told the story he would. LOL
 Go get him
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
I understand George's point, but personally, I see nothing wrong with honoring our antlered game by measuring their antlers and scoring them.

Yeah, all bucks are worthy and trophies, but some are just better than others.  

This politically correct logic is even carried over to our kids who all get trophies, receive the same grades, told how wonderful they are, etc.  Hey, some kids are better athletes or better students or whatever...and some bucks are just better than others.

Oh...I think the folks who scored it around 120 are probably pretty close.
Lon Scott

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
I would say that he is going to be a bit higher than a few others say.  135 giveor take two inches.  Let him walk if you think he will make it through the year.  No shame in wanting himto get bigger.  No shame in taking him as is either.  Good luck!
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
id say high 120's to low 130's hard to tell age cant see belly but from the neck and id say if he was here in wisconsin id call him 2.5 old

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
Frankly  I think that is a darned nice buck, and is fit for anyone, whether or not they are "needing the meat!"

I would never cheapen the sport by defining a trophy by numbers.  I never understood that and never will.  You should be proud to take a buck like that in fair chase, and not have to feel like it isn't worthy of taking.  It's a good buck.
That is a dang nice buck, and putting a score on him will definitely not cheapen the deer nor the sport, despite what others might try to imply. Those were some pretty high brow statements if you ask me. I would agree with others in that it is a 120 to 125 buck. Definitely a buck to be proud of for sure! I hope you can connect with him!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 11:54:00 PM »
I think closer to 110-115..  

But it's hard to tell from pix, could be higher.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©