3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ron La Clair's longhunter wool shirts  (Read 451 times)

Offline moose eye levi

• Trad Bowhunter
Ron La Clair's longhunter wool shirts
« on: November 02, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
I'm looking into geting one and was wonderin if anyone out their had some reviews on how they fit how thick and warm they are any input is appreciated....thanks
>>-->Levi Arnold<--<<

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ron La Clair's longhunter wool shirts
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
Hey Moose.  I am a thin blooded Texan (i.e. wimpy in cold weather) but I hunt every year with buddies in Alberta the week before Thanksgiving (I'm leaving the 14th).  I keep one of Ron's wool shirts with me at ALL times.  It is absolutely great and I would just as soon leave my bow behind as my grey wool shirt from Ron.  It is high quality, warm, covers and fits properly and is easy to shoot with it on...
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
I got the heavy gray shirt and the hood to go with it. The sleeves are long but I just roll them up a little. I love mine. I find it to be warm and very comfortable. Great wool shirt for the money.

Offline Hippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
You won't go wrong with one of those wool shirts.  I have two, Gray and Brown, I live in Southwest Virginia and we do get a few cold days and those wool shirts are perfect.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
I recently asked the same question and due to the response I was able to get one and am looking forward to using it.It looks very well made and warm, looks to be a great buy.Get one if you don't hunt in it you can wear it around the yard.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline moose eye levi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
Any size suggestions dothey run a little big or small?...Thanks for the input so far.
>>-->Levi Arnold<--<<

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
If you want the option of layering under buy one size larger than you usually do. I'm a little bigger than a 2XL but my 2XL longhunter shirt fits me with a longsleeve T-shirt or wool long underwear shirt under it and is TOASTY!
Don't make the same mistake I made. Buy a hood when you buy the shirt. Even if you just keep it in your day pack when you need it you'll have it and you'll be really glad you do. I bought a grey one buy probably will buy a brown because I'll get more use out of the lighter wool here in Southwestern Indiana. Most of Winter the grey is a bit too warm here. That ought to tell you something. OH but I run pretty hot blooded. I've worn my grey longhunter shirt with just a T-shirt under it, BDU pants with 200 gram merino wool longjohns, a wool toque and fingerless gloves in -5  with hard snow falling and hunted all day without a single shiver. I'd have done even better with the hood. The back of my neck caught a rude wind a few times.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
I've got the heavy one and the hood as well - makes an OUTSTANDING layer.  I love mine and would buy again in a heartbeat (well actually - it was a present but you get the idea).

As to fit - I'm 6'4" and about 250# and the XXL gives me room for some layers underneath.  The sleeves are on the long side but as my arms are too, I love it.  In fact, this may be the only long-sleeved garment I own where the sleeves don't end well before my wrists start.

Can't say enough good about it!

Offline Tomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
I have the heavy weight, very warm I like it alot. When I'm wearing this shirt I feel like a Traditional Hunter.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
Great info guys!  I've had my eye on one of them for a while too.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »
Love mine.  Don't see much extreme cold during bow season in N.C., so I wear it mostly for the early Jan.-Feb. bow shoots. With my coyote cap at least I look better than I shoot!  To me the garments run large.  If you haven't noticed, Ron is no light weight.  I'm 6' 180lb. and originally ordered an XL because that's what size jackets I normally wear.  I could have used the thing for an emergency shelter!.  Exchanged it for a large and still have plenty room, which is good becuase I like to layer.  Arm length was measured on a Silverback gorilla.  Roll 'em up and have a cuff.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
I like mine as well.  I have the gray one.  I can wear it throughout the entire deer season most times and not need a coat.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
I love mine.  I have the grey.  I wear it on the outside layer.  Took a deer off the ground at 10 yards this year.  He was looking right at me and did not make me out.  That ended my question on if it not being camo would make a difference.  Buy one!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Rod Bear

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
Just purchased the new green longshirt that Ron came out with. Have not used it yet. Does anyone know if he will be offering the hood in the green material?

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
I'm 6'3" and 240(winter weight) and have an XL fits great with a thermal under it.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©