3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kajikastik+ gilli= Meat  (Read 707 times)

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
Kajikastik+ gilli= Meat
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »
Well finially after a full month of hunting I get some very much needed meat for the family, I've been unemployed since june, we really needed this!! I had to move into another area to hunt, as both of my faverote hunting spots have been void of deer and sign since sept. I have a sweet honey hole spot back in a swamp, but it is alot of work to get into and out of, last monday i went into this spot setup in a natural ground blind, and got a shot at a doe,but she busted me drawing, and when i released she ducked sending the arrow into the mud, she didn't go only a few yards then instead of looking for me she was looking for the arrow almost giving a second chance! she hung around for another half hour before wandering off, I had three chances to shoot at her again but had to pass as shee was still nervous!  So yesterday am I decided to go back into my honey hole to hunt again, giving this spot a week to calm down! It's a small ridge island in the middle of the swamp maybe 10 acares in size max!!  
 just a taste, i'll be back in a bit!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kajikastik+ gilli= Meat
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
Nice here we go!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
Ok, I'll try not to Lamb this out!  I get into my little spot before first light, it's very cool, with a little fog hanging but the breeze is good! I sit there untill around 9:00 and i'm starting to feel the chill set in, I tell myself to give it another hour and settle down again! At 9:30n I see two deer working their way to me, But they are young ones, having plenty of time to think things over,I decide that if giving a chance I'll take one of these to put some meat in the freezer and to end my 2 year curse of misses! The first one comes in feeding on leaves and buds slowly! It is heading for one of my shooting lanes, I very slowly prepair for the shot, Talking myself through the shot, Bow up and half drawn waiting for it's head to go behind a tree first! Calm as a kitten, I'm ready!  Head goes behind tree,I come to full draw, Beautiful, it didn't see a thing, I'm now locked in, and it steps out,one step, two step perfect! I burn a hole through my spot,everything feels great! the arrow is gone in a flash, but wait! I didn't see that limb hanging down between us! Sadly my arrow hit mud right under the deer! Now I'm mad at myself and ready to start banging   :banghead:  against a tree!! I screwed up AGAIN! No wait, the deer only took a couple bounds and is now looking for the arrow that spooked it! The other deer never moved from where it was standing, it just looked at the deer I just missed! Thank god this Kajikastik curve is soooo quiet! Ready with another arrow( Got to add that all this time from shot and miss both deer were within 20 yards) With another arrow ready and watching the first deer waiting for maybe another chance! The first deer keeps looking for what ever slapped the mud,but never coming out of the brush! The second deer starts moving in on the same path,and i'm ready, with another opening,this time clear of brush,limbs! I slowly make my second draw and lock in, nobody saw me!  the second deer is now in my lane and slighty quarting away, again I get control and focus on my spot, Zip,it is gone right through where i was looking! YES, I did it! The deer takes two bounds and stops and stares back at the arrow that zipped thru her and hit mud again! Within a couple seconds she tips over dead! Tracking job 10 yards! The pic of blood trail is all there was and is where she landed on the first bound, her second bound she landed in knee deep swamp!

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
oh here's the pics I did get, and Let me say that I don't usually shoot the small ones, But this is much needed meat! Also, I'd still be draging if it was a full grown deer as I forgot how hard it is to get them out of there!!
  Entry!!
  Exit!
  Happy camper!!
 Arrows used are goldtip trads done up by badgerarrow, wensel woodsmen 150 heads and my kajikastik curve plus the gilli coat I made up this past winter!  I was invisable!

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
Good story and congrats!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
Well done...meat is good!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
Meat in the frezer!  :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
Awesome, been wanting to try a ghillie !

nocams  :thumbsup:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
Well-done!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
Thats what I'm talkin' bout!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
SWEET! Congrats on the shot. Way to go with the doe!!!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »
Great job providing for your family. great job on the hunt story.
Go get another.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
Congratulations! Needed blessings are the most appreciated.
samuel koger

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
Great job and a better story buddy. I have gone to many years passing on the little ones to end up with an empty freezer.I have taken a few not realizing their size and felt bad about it. Meat is more important. Ya just have to go for it if the opportunity presents itself.

Today I broke down and went to a local food pantry. That will help a little. I even signed up for their Thanksgiving Basket.

Ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
Thanks everone, This deer is a steping stone for me, to many years with to many misses! Now I have this girl all processed up so, It's back to the woods for me and see if I can do it again!
  linc, I know what you mean about the food pantry, we have been doing that for awhile!
 here's another pic of her!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Look at the bright side.  You have all this time to hunt.  How many people here (ME included) have only a few days to get out due to work.  Enjoy the time you have, do what you can, work will come around again.  You will be fine especially if you have the same tenacity as you do hunting.

My parents had financial troubles when I was young.  They had a one acre garden, canned and froze what they could.  They raised rabbits for food and my dad came home with deer out of season to feed us. I know he picked up fresh road kills, the sheriff would call him, I know a few deer were taken out  of sustenance.  Nothing wasted!

Congratulations on your deer, and good luck with your hunt for work.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Jim, I love it!!! Kajika majic.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup: