3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any of you young guys out there....(35 and younger)  (Read 1906 times)

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any of you young guys out there....(35 and younger)
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
I'm 34 and yes, I used to shoot a compound.  The only thing I killed with it was a turkey.  Hunted with it somewhat seriously for probably ten years.  I switched to trad about 5 years ago and have killed bull elk and two muley bucks and two turkeys.  So for me the reason for going to trad had nothing to do with it getting too easy, or boring.  Shooting my compound just wasn't any fun!!  I originally got into archery to challenge myself as a hunter, after a few years the only challenge was centering the bullseye at 60 yards, and if I didn't I was frettin' over sight pins and rests.....none of which translated into my becoming a better hunter.  Now I'm enjoying every second spent shooting and hunting, and am enjoying a drastic increase in the number of opportunities to shoot critters.

Do I fit the steriotype gimmick mold....I would have to say NO.  I drive the same 65 ford four wheel drive I rode in as a child (bought off grandma after gramps died), don't own a four wheeler, do own a gps (don't use it much, but happy to have it a couple times  :)  

I'd say 90% of my hunting is stalking with about 10% natural ground blind.  Not that I have any hangups with tree stands or pop ups, just have never used them.  Next season I plan to dabble in tree stand for whitetails and popup for turkeys though, we'll see what transpires.

Good luck to all

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
I'm 28 and after rifle hunting and using a wheelie bow for most of my teens, and killing numerous big game animals, hunting lost some of it's allure and turned from hunting into killing. After looking at the sport from an outsiders perspective, I stepped away from hunting due to the loss of excitment for a few years. Then six years ago I was cleaning out a neighbors attic for her and found an old bear recurve, when a made a cooment on how "neat" (the lady was almost 90) the bow was she offered it to me as a reward for helping her out. I took it and bought a new string for it. Although the limbs were twisted, I strung it up and shot a few arrows. Instantly I was hooked and bought a few cheaper production longbows. I have hunted every year since then with a longbow and despite getting a lot of flak from my buddies I am having the time of my life. I have taken some small game with the trad equipment but have yet to harvest any big game, but I don't care. Hunting is now about the pursuit, the challenge, and the hunt itself and not how many, or how the big the animal harvested is.

I used to fit the sterotypical mold of buying new faster, expensive products every year, but I found that once I made the switch to trad equipment, the rest followed suit. It can be hard sometimes being the only member of a hunting party without scentlock, or camo for that matter, but looking to the icons of the past I know these things are not necessary to be successful.

I hunt on the ground 100% of the time and probably split this time evenly between spot and stalk and using ground blinds.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
I'm 34. I bow hunted with a compound for 17 years. I loved it. I was into the fastest, smallest spaceblaster I could find. I still think they're neat as heck. 2 1/2 years ago I shot a doe with my compound. I realized I didn't feel as excited as I used to. It almost felt like "another day at the office" Right then and there I knew something had to change! So I did a little research and picked up a used recurve, had some wood arrows made. Now shooting my compound was a lot of fun. I thought I worked hard to shoot well with it. I felt like an archer. It wasn't until I picked up this trad. bow that I realized what archery was and how EASY shooting my wheelie was. Sometimes it gets to be really hard not to take my compound into the woods. I've passed on 3 deer this year that I would have not a second thought on taking the shot with my wheelie. But I'm committed to this wood stuff. It'll happen...right?? ;~) Anyway, I was just looking for something to excite me again. Maybe after this I'll try atlatal. lol
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
Sorry that was answer #1
#2 Sure I like fast cars, fast bikes, and fast high tech stuff is cool. But the simple things are great too.
#3 I'm a ground hunter. 85% deadfall blind, 15% stalk
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
1. Why do you pick Trad hunting over Wheel Bows?

- I hunt with both but prefer trade because it feels more natural and I feel like I'm truly connected with nature when I have a stickbow in my hand and I don't get that feeling with a wheelie bow.  However I don't eat any meat that's not wild game so when the freezer is empty I'll reach for the wheels or a firearm.  I also use wheels when it's really cold outside until I get used to shooting my longbow with thick gloves and clothes on.

2. Young folks are typically sterio-typed into wanting faster/newer gimmics all the time...do you fit that mold?

-It's been an on and off thing for me over the years; I got wrapped up in the BS and had to have all the lastest gimmicks thinking I couldn't possibly kill an animal with anything less.  Then while home in WV, I saw my old Bear wheelie bow that I had ripped the sights off hanging there and thought about all the deer I'd killed with it, and I remembered that I never had anything else but that bow and arrows and the clothes on my back.  I still buy some things like a decoy, or scent but I'm trying to stick to the basics now.

3. What style of hunting with a trad bow do you like? (stands/stalk/blind)

- I prefer to stalk and still hunt on the ground, but I've only got a little 2 acre chunk of woods I have permission to hunt here in Indiana so I bought my first treestand and have been using it.  When I finally get access to some more land I'll be on the ground again.

Ken
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
I'm 29...
I still hunt with both and shoot both year round.  I enjoy them equally and for different reasons.  I actually like the mechanical tinkering and "puzzle solving" that goes into setting up a compound.  But I love the allure of shooting trad.  
2. Young folks are typically sterio-typed into wanting faster/newer gimmics all the time...do you fit that mold?
I disagree with this statement.  Young people shoot whats available.  Where I grew up there were NO trad shops...so obviously a shop owner will sell you what he can, it's a business.  I feel there is way more self-rightesnous, snobbishness, and prejudices within the trad community towards the compound shooters.  There are bums in both genres, just as there are phenomenal archers and ethic sportsman in each genre.  
I hunt stands and still-hunt.  I move stands alot via portable and climbers, as I strictly hunt from scouting sign and choose not to hunt bait.  but that's merely a personal choice.  

There is more than enough room for compounds and traditional in a man's life!    :bigsmyl:
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »

Well, when I shot target archery (both compound & recurve) I found myself being disappointed if I missed my spot, rather than happy if I hit it. I was expecting to hit everything I aimed at & got disheartened if I didn't. The more this happened, the more I felt I was aproaching archery a$$ backwards. It was supposed t be a fun challenge, not a stressfull chore.
As soon as I picked up my first longbow, without sights I knew that I'd found what I was looking for. Every hit was (and still is) a celebration & every miss is another reason to keep practicing. I'll never be as good at this as I'd like to be, but because I recognise that, I'm never dissapointed.

I never hunted with a compound & to be honest never wanted to. I don't think ever conciously 'picked' traditional hunting, it just kinda happened. I hunted with air-rifles back in the UK, due to the stresses & legal limitations of owning firearms, so the close range stalking  & hide-hunting aspect of huning seemed normal to me. I never warmed to the idea of being able to take game at extended ranges.

Well, kinda. I want the fastest traditional bow I can get, up to a point. However I don't try to aim forthe fastest arrow speed possible. I translate fast into efficienct & use that efficiency to shove a heavy arrow at moderate to fast speed. I don't have all the bells & whistles, in fact I've only ever bought 2 new bows. If someone brought out a new bow tomorrow that was faster than the bows I'm shooting now, I wouldn't care. I'm happy with what I've got, although I had to kiss a lot of frogs to find where I wanted to be.

I like spot & stalk, but out of nescessity down here I hunt out of a treestand. I'd take 1 week of spot & stalk for Texas hogs & Javies over a month of sitting in a stand for Whitetails (which I firmly believe are a mythical creature  :rolleyes: )
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
Been waiting for a thread like this...

I just turned 21 this year, too...

1) I have no idea where this urge to use a traditional bow came from. My mother never liked hunting, and my father quit long before I was born. I was never around it, at all. But it just showed up around 10 years of age. All I knew was, I wanted to hunt. I wanted to bowhunt. And I wanted to do it with traditional tackle.
 My dad set me up with everything I needed, except I was given a compound instead of a recurve. Said it was the only way to shoot a bow these days. So I used it. Shot it with fingers, barebow. Used heavy 2117's tipped with Bear Razorheads, rather than the usual graphite darts/mechanicals or replaceable heads. But it still didn't feel right. So after the season (passed on 14 deer, the last I would see for some time.) I finally got my hands on a Bear recurve. Been feeling right ever since...

2) Tough call. This year I've been using a longbow with wood arrows, and I can't say any of that is a gimmick. Not to mention, I've never been happier with my tackle.
 Although I do tend to follow the crowd sometimes. When I shot carbons, I was big into EFOC, as are alot of people. I shoot Surewood shafts, which are very popular right now. And I just slapped down more money than I care to admit on a set of the new woodsman heads.
 In my defense however, these aren't gimmicks. They're popular for a reason. EFOC is popular because it works, and works well. Surewood shafts have such a following because they are supremely good wood shafts. And the new woodsmans are merely a great broadhead, with all the slight flaws removed. I shoot what I shoot because I know in my heart that it'll work, not because some flashy packaging "guarantees" it'll make me a better hunter.

3) Man oh man, give me all three. I shyed away from stands for a while because of an extreme fear of heights. But a friend got me back in them 2 years ago, and it's been love ever since. Sure, they get you outta the animals awareness level (a little bit; not entirely) and give you more time to prep for a shot, but you want to know why I use them? The view. Not because it allows you to see deer earlier. No, I just mean the fantasic views; best in the woods. Darn those lucky squirrels and birds.
 Blinds are fun. I used one all through 2008's spring turkey season before selling it to someone who needed it more than I. But the moment I through a little more cash together, you can bet I'm getting another one.
 Stalking is just something I'm not that good at. But I'm not that good a deer hunter either, so who really cares? It's just too much excitement to pass up. Trying to take a deer on the same essential level as a bear/coyote/bobcat. How can that not be amazing?
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »

I hunt with both.  I have taken many deer with a compound and still hunt with it.  I haven't yet taken a large game animal with my trad bow, but am working on it.  The allure of a trad bow came to me as I noticed I was focusing too much on the gimmicks and wanted to get back to actual hunting.  I wanted to make myself a better hunter.

I like both new and old.  I prefer older equipment when it comes to farm equipment because i like the heavier built stuff.  But having something new and shiny is always fun too.

I do all 3, but prefer to hunt from a treestand.
>>>--------->

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
1. Romance / Nostalgia / History / Fun / Challenge / Beauty.

2. Nope.

3. Stalking, mostly; or waiting behind a tree next to a water point or carcass.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline BHTGdogs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
Im 24 and I choose trad over compound because it got to easy if I saw a deer I wanted to shoot it was already in range. just didnt feel like hunting to me!

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
I'm 28 and I chose traditional archery because of the simplicity of it. I don't have to worry about knocking off sight pins that you with a compound. I've shot a compound since my early teens and before giving it up I was caught up with the speed of them. The faster the speed and flatter the trajectory makes it easier to make the further shots, and that in my opinion is the downfall of bowhunting. Bowhunting is supposed to about how close you an get and not about how far you can shoot. I think alot of people, including myself, have forgot all about that. Since turning trad I've paced myself with my shots, which in turn, has helped my aiming and concentration.

When it comes to hunting, I've always always prefered to still hunt/spot and stalk, unless it's been a long day and then I prefer to hunt from a stand.

It's took me a few years but i'm finally glad to be rid of my training wheels! Hopefully I can try to change some family members minds on traditional archery. I've already changed my wifes mind and she is willing to give it a try!

Offline JackP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
I'm 19 .. Started hunting with a compound when I was 12. Shot one with a compound then shot my buddies Big Horn, ever since then I have had no desire to shoot a compound again. I found shooting a recurve or longbow was ten times more fun the shooting a compound. I also enjoy hearing people say "you hunt with that old equipment?!" after they ask what kind of bow I have.

As far as having the fastest equipment, when I was younger I always did, I thought that's what was needed to kill an animal. After finding this site, I realized that is no longer my opinion. Currently I have a Whisperstik Mojostik which in my opinion is a very quick bow, but I am currently hunting with my buddies longbow that is quite a bit slower then my Whisperstik. I find enjoyment hunting with something that is not the fastest thing in the world, gives the animals somewhat of a chance instead of a scary fast compound.

I have tried to stalk deer and other animals and have never really had any luck. I enjoy sitting in a stand and waiting for deer to come to me.

Jack

Offline kevgsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
I'm 28 and I've never owned a compound.  I shoot trad bows cause they are just plain fun to shoot, and I love the look on peoples faces when they see what we hunt with.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
im 39 yrs so i guess i really dont qualify... but i did hunt with a compound in my twentys, and not for very long i might add. i had been on a hunt and was hunting from a tree stand. i had a slip and dropped my wheelie bow. after i had the bow fixed i had tried with it again but it wasnt the same. i sold it. then one wekend i was watching american shooter , and saw byron ferguson doing the shot of the week with his long bow. i knew right then and there that trad was what i wanted to do. ive been shooting trad for 14 yrs now
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by J. Cook:
  I feel there is way more self-rightesnous, snobbishness, and prejudices within the trad community towards the compound shooters.  

:clapper:  
Since I started shooting trad again I've noticed this.

On to the questions-
I'm 29.
1-
I really didn't pick it.I guess my dad picked if for me when he bought me a garage sale Bear grizzly.I started out with that around age 10,missed alot of deer.I was always taping things on it for a sight.Had three compounds inbetween now and then.Something in me just wanted to pick it back up.So I started shooting and getting tuned up.Then I joined here and went to Vermonster's for shooting lessons.Stared shooting correctly and the rest fell into place.I shoot both,but I love trad for the self reliance.I can literally make everything,take it to the woods,and hunt.Can't do that with compounds.

2-I have my moments of wanting new stuff,but 95% percent of the time I don't fit that mold.

3-I prefer treestands,but I stalk sometimes on new ground.Blinds are new to me.I've tried to shoot from them and it will take alot of getting used to it before I'm hunt ready from one.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
I got bored with the compound.  Picked up a longbow and never looked back.  I love the flight of an arrow.

No I do not fit the mold.  I like high carbon steel knives, leather-lined norweigen welt boots (non gore-tex), and fly fishing with slow action rods.

I prefer still hunting, but find myself in a tree more often.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
I'm 36 and shot a Compound for 17 years.I used to trade my bows off ounce mabey twice a year.

I always had " a thing" for Traditional archery, and the more and more I got into it the less and less I liked the compound. I feel that the Longbow is "my calling" and will never pick up a compound again. I've shot alot of deer with my compound and out of all of the deer I shot NONE of them comes even close to the sense of accomplishment I feel when I did it with my longbow.

Theres a  overwhelming feeling of PRIDE when you finally connect with with a deer, bear, pig ect.... Words can not describe it. Knowing YOU did it without the help of rangefinders,sights ect...Is UNBELIEVABLE. Its all you peroid.

I have alot of friends of mine that just don't get it. To them what makes you a "man, or a Hunter" is strictley the size of the antlers. To me its the experience, and  feeling closer to nature. Its sort of  "religous" to me, and take it very personal. Its not about the "killing", its about the journey!

Happy shooting
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
I learned with a recurve.  Moved to a wheelie bow when I was 15 because it was what was available at the time.  I hunted with it for years, it was fast, I missed deer with it killed a lot of carp with it.  It was heavy and cumbersome.

I shot a recurve at a 4-H booth with my wife's 7 year old cousin.  Not to brag but I hit every single target exactly where I was aiming. Granted it was 15 yards and less. I shocked the booth workers and to be honest myself.  They gave me another bunch of arrows and asked me to shoot again this time at what they asked me to.  I hit every single target between the eyes (as asked).

I decided right then to put down the training wheels, I ride better without.  

1.I think killing a deer will be more rewarding.
2.It's lighter
3.I like the poetry of a simple bow
4.they are quieter
5.I prefer the crowd and camaraderie of trad archers over any other outdoors man.

1. I hunt from trees and ground.
2. I would stalk given the opportunity but am not good at it so don't do it much.

1. I love this thread

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Brook Trout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
Just turned 29.
1)I shoot longbows, because they are just way more fun to shoot than compounds.  The reason that I bought my first though was because I didn't like all the gadgets and techno involved in compound archery.
2)No
3)All three, probably more ground blinds than anything, then tree stands, mixed in with occasionally still hunting.  I don't mind hunting from tree stands. I just get tired of carrying portable around for hunting on public land.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©