3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scent drags?  (Read 529 times)

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Scent drags?
« on: November 03, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
Do you use them? If so, what do you use and when?
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scent drags?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
I used to drag a old piece of t shirt with estrous scent, off to the side of me while walking in, then tie it to something off the ground, some 20 yards or so down wind before I get to my stand or blind. I want to draw them near, but not draw attention directly to me. I haven't done that in some time though. I may do that next time out, now that the rut is about on. I just so happen to have a bunch of 6 ft bamboo stakes to help with that!
I know guys who put scent all over their boots or strap a scent pad on. I feel that leads their nose directly to your stand. If there is mud anywhere nearby when I am on my way in, I make sure I get some of that on my boots. I'd rather smell local.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
I've done it for years but pay attention because I've been busted so many times by not paying attention to the trail I laid down.  This is the time of year to do it.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Smokey's deer lure. They have estrous, pre-orbital, buck etc. The doe-in-heat may work best for drags. Mike

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
So how do you lay the track into your stand? Circle down wind, walk passed your stand then back?? What would cause them to bust you?
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
NRA Life Member.

Offline Shleprock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
I would like to know what other guys do to. Do you ever run a drag even though it's raining?
Kota5-----                                    "The arrow has always been a keen thought and the bow always an expresion of hope. By these means freed thoughts fly." Dean Torges

Offline recurvist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
I have had success with drag-rags ,I try to keep the trail short or freshin rag with more doe/estres about every 50 yd in timber about 25 in tall grass... come to your stand at an angle from downwind cutting across within bow range to give u shot opertunity ..hang rag from limb still in bow range ,usually 3 to 6 ft off ground..rubber boots and gloves seem to help..  :thumbsup:
" Aim small, ..Miss small " The Patriot.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
Hike for miles with the drag rag attract every deer in the territory.     :cool:  

I have had luck with drag rags.  One time had a deer looking at me within 10 yards before my bow was even up in my stand.  

I slowly raised the bow up(short stand) and proceeded to mess up the shot twice.  Long but funny story.  Then it ran past my buddy who hadn't even figured out where to sit yet.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Shleprock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
Scent in the rain? Is it worth spending the scent? If it's OK to piggy back on someones question.
Kota5-----                                    "The arrow has always been a keen thought and the bow always an expresion of hope. By these means freed thoughts fly." Dean Torges

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
You really don't need much.  The goal for me isn't to get every buck within a mile, it's to get the ones that walk within 100 yards or so come to me.  I start at about 100 yards out, pour some on the drag and walk to my set.  Then I hang the drag within bow range.  Clean rubber boots and as little human scent as possible are required.  It doesn't work every time but it works enough that it's worth it especially right now.  I have had does spook from it though.  I generally use HS Scents doe estrous.  It's relatively cheap and seems to work as well as anything.

I'm hunting Friday night.  Here's my set:

The green lines are where I'll drag.  I'll soak the drag 100 yards from my stand on the trail from the west as I come in from my truck and then pick up the drag at my stand, go to the north east 100 yards or so, refresh the drag and then walk to my set.  Then I'll hang the drag in a tree.

I will also call and rattle fairly aggressively.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
Cool, thanks John, that clears it up for me.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
NRA Life Member.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
keep in mind to freshen it up often, or start at your stand and walk away with the drag. so the scent gets stronger towards your set up .. to kinda let the buck know which way to follow it....
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
I kinda think the opposite although I doubt it matters.  I imagine a doe taking a leak and as she walks, the scent gets less concentrated.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
I use hock pads that I cut from the deer I harvest it works great and when I get to the stand I hang on branch.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
When I do a drag I like to use a tampon plane unscented. Say what you want they work good. I wear pads on my boots with regular doe pee then drag the doe in heat off to one side. I circle the stand close then hang it up wind in a shooting lane. If a buck comes in and is skitish he still may give you a shot.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
How does this look for strategy? I hope bucks will skirt close to the down wind side of the fence/bedding area and that the scent trail will catch them before getting behind me. Man this pic sucks...red dot is a scrape and light purple square is my tree.

Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
NRA Life Member.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 02:25:00 AM »
I have had good luck with the old scent free t-shirt with doe in estrus on it.  I get at the spot I want to shoot the deer, take the drag out tie it to my let and walk away in the direction they should pick it up.  then I get back and take it off and put it back in bag at the original spot and get in tree.  I feel this leaves the most scent where I want the deer and as go away gets fainter.  that way as the deer is scent tracking gets stronger to the point I want to shoot him.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 05:52:00 AM »
Save yourself some mini pump spray bottles. As you get closer to your stand mist the ground more and more as you close in. Scents are a tough call. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Always have a secondary stand close by to fall back on to. Sometimes scents can blow a stand out and the deer shift by forty or fifty yards. I tend to use them on tight crossings or travel corridors only. Mostly to slow the deer down for a shot.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
I'm with you WapitiMike, Ain't nothing wrong with using a plug for a scent drag.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Double Tee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
Several years ago I was about to leave for a hunt in the Texas hill country and saw some deer attractant on sale called "deer formula".I had never used anything like it but for two dollars I didn't have much to loose. I watched a spike buck walk a fence line about 80 yds out for 3 days ande wouldn't come by my stand so I thought,Hey I just might try the magic juice! Went to the fence and put it on my boot soles and walked back to the ground blind.I had put some also on some low hanging limbs over his trail too. I swear!!! that spike came down the fence line,caught a sniff of the stuff and then followed my tracks to my blind! I think he would have came in with me if I hadn't shot him!The funny thing is I bought two more bottles and haven't used it since LOL! but it was sure neat to see a deer do that.
John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©