3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Will tight nocks make you shoot high  (Read 672 times)

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Will tight nocks make you shoot high
« on: November 03, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
The nocks on one of my bows is tighter than the others and was wondering if this could be whats causing higher impact with my arrows.

Thanks
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Will tight nocks make you shoot high
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
Yes....tight nocks are not good for several reasons....accuracy, loss of performance, more bow noise.....I fold up some sand paper and custom fit mine to where they barley stay on the string.

I can't stand tight nocks!!! Nothing worse that letting go of the string and having the arrow hang on for dear life.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Yea i have one bow out of 4 that the nocks are tight on and they do fly high, thanks Terry.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
I buy those finger nail emery boards that the wife uses and you force the edge of the board into the nock and pull the nock down the board and it sands both sides of the nock at the same time, equally. Works great. I dont like tight nocks either.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
Joe...that may or may not be the reason your arrows are flying high out of that one bow....but tight nocks are still no good.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
Like Terry said, that might necessarily be what's causing the high shooting.

Tight nocks make for bad shooting arrows, not necessarily high shooting arrows.

Simple fix....."loosen" a nock (open up by sanding)and shoot to see if it makes a difference...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
and if loosening a nock fixes your problem save yourself the headache and make a string/serving combo that FITS the nocks without having to sand, file, or adjust those nocks at all.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
I shoot Heritage 150s is there a place i can order different size nocks that will fit those arrows.

Thanks
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
Almost all the brands of plastic nocks are easily opened or squeezed to make them fit most any string...no need to sand or replace them in my opinion. You don't need anything other than your fingers; go slow and gently, a little at a time and they will open/close to almost any reasonable size. Been doing it for as long as these nocks have been in production and not a single failure...except when I bust one with a following arrow    ;)
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
JC:

Have you been successful with the BearPaw brand from KK?  I can't get them to stay, even after a boiling water soak, and a cool down on a spacer..... grrrrrr!
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
I found a glass nail file that's a perfect fit, sands both sides of the nock at once and is really fine.  When the glass gets clogged just wash it and its ready to go again and again.

Does a good job of nails too!    :D
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
Thanks guys, the only problem im having this with is a string i got from Bob Morisson. I love the way it shoots so i will try some of these methods.

Thanks
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »
And all this time I just thought I was a bad shot. I'll definitely be making some adjustments to my nocks. I can barely pull them off my string with leverage!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
Yea theres no doubt it effects arrow flight. I shoot the same arrows on all 5 of my bows and they shoot fantastic. The nocks on my widow are almost to loose and im shooting that bow better than all my others. I am for sure going to pay more attention to the little things from here on out.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
By the way guys im new to trad archery so any information i get i really study up on it.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
Tight string knocks will make arrows go high, low, left and right - not to mention make lots of noise. If you have several bows that shoot the same arrows, then make a new string or just new serving on the existing string. Serving comes in various thicknesses. Try a short sample serving on a section of the string to trial fit. Plain nylon thread serving is cheap ($3 instead of $20+ for halo) and is a small diameter.

Other reasons a bow "shoots high" are; shorter arrows that have a different sight picture than your other bows, faster bow (a common problem with Morrisons), different grip and hand position, etc.

Clean up you knock fit and only shoot one bow and it will stop.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
I have about 100 of these nocks so what i may do is send one of these nocks to a well known string maker and get him to make me several strings for each bow. As for shooting only one bow i just cant make myself do it, i love them all.  :thumbsup:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline VAFarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
Joe,

Im new too, I tried sanding mine out, but make sure to touch up with 2000 grit, seems like the string will fray less.

Also opened a couple up over a candle, but you have to have really good timing, or you'll cook'em.

Now with sanding, or opening, I developed a problem of too loose.   Seemed like none were just right.   so what I did is go a TAD too loose, and then wrap a couple thin strips of good ole duct tape (praise the good Lord for duct tape, man there is nothing you can't fix with it)above where the top of the nocks sit.  this will keep the back of the shaft from sliding up, and when you press it down it will stay snug when you walking thru the woods.

Farmer

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
I may shoot/hunt with one of many of my bows at any given time...and I don't have time to customize every serving...so that's why I carry sand paper in my back pack, fanny back, Safari Tuff quiver, glove compartmen.  The nocks I use wont open or close with my fingers....and I sure don't want to keep up with a mini stove, pot, and a pint of water.  Takes about 10 seconds to fix a nock.....and at the most 30.

Never had a failure of a nock cause I sanded it a bit....doesn't take long either...kinda like touching up the edge on a bhead.

And yes...if the nocks are too lose for ya....you can thicken the string with a few different items...I use plumbers tape if that happenes to me...with a dab of super glue.  Only had to resort to that a couple of times but it worked pretty good...cause I don't like nocks that fall off....too easy to dry fire them.

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
good stuff guys, I was thinking about this stuff recently. i shoot eastons and they have that small nock.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©