3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Perserverance and a Strangled Goose - my first real buck  (Read 917 times)

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
Perserverance and a Strangled Goose - my first real buck
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
I couldn't tell this story without thanking a few people first - My good friend Nick who graces me with the ability to hunt his family's farm with him; Frassettor, Dmaxshawn, Vtmtman, and countless others that remind me daily to focus my chaos and stick with it;  Jim at FireFly bows; Tim at Braveheart; Ron at KME; John at Anneewakee; and everyone at the TradGang for keeping the fire roaring when the wind's howling at the door...

Sometimes Mother Nature allows us many a great day and oppertunity. This year, She laughed at us with her terrible sense of humor.  Weather is a strange motivator, it can drive even the most patient of us a little batty in the noggin waiting for even a glimmer of sweet sunshine.

Rain. More than I care to think of, so much the fields have flooded on the low spots with the standing corn and beans rotting on the stalks. For three straight days she gifted us with water, after more than a month of the same. Then winds came. In an effort to salvage days lost to rain we both ventured out in 35-45mph winds - each of us clinging to our climbers as the 12" diameter oak trees swayed in a five foot circle over, and over, and over again. All the while, no deer. Not even a squirrel dared to venture out - save one unlucky fellow who's tail met the sharp end of my small game head. I hadn't thought to practice elevated shooting from a moving platform this summer, something I'll need to consider in the future.

Dejected and spirits down, we returned to the camper and scoured over the local news of a promising forecast for the morning. Sure, we've heard that before we grumbled ringing the water from our socks.

The dawn came with a crystal clear sky, no wind and just a hint at the frost that would appear as the sun rose.

Entering the field with our gear, we immediately spied 7 does still graising in the moonlight. My friend headed west and north into the woods, trying to skirt them and come around on top of them. I went due east across the mud and muck of the field and then north again for a little, stopping in a thin finger of woods that split the standing corn and the beans. Quietly I hoped that the does would turn north, and possibly lure any would be suiters from the protection of the corn into the relative safety of the woods.

The sun rose, and with it the frost gently touched everything - the juniper limbs on my Firefly flashed white briefly until the sun warmed them. Now to wait. And wait I did. watching the squirrels bounce from tree to tree, scamper 26 feet beneath my chosen oak, well protected from the vast lacework of thin branches that sprouted everywhere from the saplings yearning for sunlight. I grew bored, nocked my small game arrow and let fly at one of the buggers, deteremined to connect with something this trip. The greedy fingers of the saplings gently pushed my arrow wide by a narrow margin. EFOC helps, I thought, but I need to be on the money if something shows up. These shooting windows are small!

I settled back in for a bit, happy that my muscles had a chance to work for even a moment, and even happier knowing how the bow was reacting to the temperature. No squeeks, no creaks, just silent and unrelenting.

Just then I saw the deer as it moved from the small swamp, crossed through the standing corn and entered the woods. I looked hard at it, it looks big for a doe I said to myself, staring between it's ears. Sure enough, a tine - the two. Narrow, almost hidden from the distance and branches that obscured him some 50-60yrds away. He's heading north I noted, reaching into my muff to remove my buck grunt tube. All I need to do is get his attention...

I blew into the grunt tube. Too quiet, I said to myself watching the buck continue on his path. I blew again, more forcefully. Forcefully in this instance, with the cold, locked up the reed at the end of my breath. My glorious bellow became an angry goose! Frozen, I stared at the buck through the trees.

Abruptly he stopped, turned his head to face my direction, and stiffly stalked toward me with the full intent to firmly give who-ever this goofy "deer" was a firm what-for.

I stuffed my grunt tube back into my muff, and closed my fingers back around the string. Eyes shifting between the buck, my arrow, the single bevel Tusker broadhead, the shelf of the bow - everything hinged on his path to my stand. Stiffly he weaved into and around the saplings, head low and aware. As he approached my lane, I prepared myself - mentally rehearsing his passing through the shot window, noting the small branches along the arrows path, readying my body for correct form.

Zigging, he entered the window of oppertunity at 15yrds. I drew to my anchor point, became comfortable with the shot and my surroundings, picked that one single hair on the his chest, and moved as one with him as I released.

I watched the laser of a shot from above - and Shawn will attest to my unnatural desire to walk the line concerning arrow weight, string diameter vs draw weight - no deviation, no deflection. In the blink of an eye the arrow arrived at it's destination, however I could not account for one thing.

The buck took a step and zagged just as the arrow released.

The Tusker penetrated with the force of an axe through the buck's spine, burying the Beman Bowhunter a full six inches through the bone into his chest. It was as if the ground was removed from beneath him, the buck dropped to the forest floor with such force the leaves moved on the impact.

Not realizing what had happened, or comprehending why his body refused to move, he rolled away from the stand snapping the broadhead off and bent the arrows shaft at an unbelievable angle.

Quickly I loaded another arrow, but was unable to find a shot that would bring the animal peace. I immediately climbed down the tree, positioned myself and cleanly delivered the shot.

As I knelt before him, I took a moment to give thanks, thinking of my father who was never able to share this moment with me.

Sometimes the path we chose takes us to places we hadn't considered, but the journey and memories along the way instill our passion for what makes us who we are. I am a traditional bowhunter.

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/images/userpix/12961_IMG_0200_1.jpg
Support the sport!

Offline Paul Collins

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Perserverance and a Strangled Goose - my first real buck
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
Congratulations!

When you talked about sticking your grunt tube in your muff, the story started getting particularly exciting.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
Like the goose call with the grunt tube - been there done that. I am particularly good at wounded duck with an elk bugle. Glad he turned and you played your part so well. Congratulations!

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
Congradulations-Hap

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
Great story, fine buck, and a delicacy at your table soon!!  Congrats brother!!
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
Great story there Chris, appreciate you taking the time to share it with us.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
Congratulations Chris! Nice deer
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
Congrats brother, cool story!!!!!!!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
Way to knock em down there Chris.  I hope you have many many more moments like that one.  

Shawn

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Great Story. Nice buck You got there.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
Good job  :thumbsup:  Thanx for the story.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Another great story! Congrats on a fine hunt and buck. 'Til I harvest my first, I have to live the thrill through these stories. Congrats and thanks again.   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Bone lake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
Good job Chris, congrats!!!

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
Good job Chris!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
Great story!  I enjoyed reading it.

Were you really 26 ft up in the tree?

:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
Good shooting and a good story.
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the story. Enjoyed reading it and congratulations.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
awesome man!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©