3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2009 Kansas hunt - Sunday morning tag filled (page 3)  (Read 1507 times)

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
2009 Kansas hunt - Sunday morning tag filled (page 3)
« on: November 04, 2009, 05:54:00 AM »
Its that time of year again …… this morning I’m heading out, driving to western Kansas for yet another whitetail hunt with some good friends who are gracious enough to invite me out every year. I wish just once they’d come to Arkansas and allow me to treat them to some world class walleye and trout fishing!

40 years old and I woke up at 3:15 am this morning, couldn't go back to sleep so came on in to work        :)        ...... still excited about hunting trips, thats a good thing!

Everyday I’ll post updates. I’m going to try and use my camera more than ever this year, do some video mode etc. I’ve hunted out there several years now, this is the year I’m using my tag on a big one. I’ve got the time to hunt, I drew the optional mule deer tag too …… and I can go back and hunt 3 days or so before Thanksgiving if I don’t tag this next 8-9 days. My goal is a pig buck, I’ve never shot a really big mature whitetail and I want to really be disciplined and do it this year.

My weapon is a Zipper all bamboo (riser and limbs) Extreme, 51# @ 27” marked (though I draw it a bit farther), weighted carbons and 225 gr Steel Force single bevel broadheads totaling about 650 grains I believe.

On Saturday I discovered my lower limb badly twisted, and I used the hot water treatment to get it back – its still not right IMO, so last second scrambling I bought the 52# @ 28” Zipper Extreme that Bryan George had for sale and he shipped it straight to KS for me. If mine twists back or worse I’ll have a bow to hunt with at least!

Here are two bucks we’re targeting – the mongo 10 pointer is a dandy aint he? I’m saying he’s a 175-180” buck, maybe I’m guessing big but he’s just a gorgeous whitetail. The second buck looks like a wide 8 with some stickers – in real life I bet he’s an impressive animal too! Rumor is a triple drop tine is hanging around a certain spot I like to hunt, I’ll be in that stand tomorrow morning at daylight.

Weather is warm, until Sunday and then a front moves in triggering 50 for the highs and 30 for the lows, even 60% chances or rain a day or two.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2009 Kansas hunt - Sunday morning tag filled (page 3)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
Good Luck Brad, Looking forward to Your updates. Have a safe trip to and from.

bretto

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
Good luck Brad, I have always enjoyed following along on your Kansas hunts!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
711 mile drive - here I go !

Online ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Tell Alvis, Mark and Deb I said hi!    Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
update day one

I went to Johnny's this morning, after a 700 mile drive and 4 hours sleep. Driving in I saw a NICE big buck with does out on the top crop circle, and 2 more bucks jumping the road in front of me.

I had to navigate what use to be an alphalfa bottom - I had forgotten how loud dry corn on the stalks are! I got to where the stand was - no stand. Steps are there, no stand. Ok, so I lean into the tree and stand there, and maybe 30 minutes I hear a deer coming through the standing corn. Nice buck, likely not a shooter, but I turn around and get ready anyway. He comes to within about 5 steps of my tree, I keep this big cottonwood between us and he's downwind and he knows I'm there but his eyes aren't confirming what his nose is telling him! I get a nice look at a 2 1/2 year old 8 point, maybe 120" and he ambles off.

I got to watch hawks and listen to turkeys gobbling in the creek bottom, no more deer come through though. I do notice someone has put a big ladder stand 20 yards from where our hangon was suppose to be ... hmmmm. I take the steps down, and move out.

I meet Mark and Alvis and Justin and we're off to set stands. I hang on about 75 yards up creek from where these camtracker photo's below were taken .... and another a few hundred yards north and east as well .... and I hunt that stand this afternoon. I got to watch red squirrels fighting/playing/loving, two hawks and an owl hooting. One lone doe came by at dark.

No shots today, long day in the stand.

Big boy is still coming through ...

these are "new" bucks .... we've not seen any of them. the one there won't score, but he's MASSIVE and I'll shoot him if I can

Tomorrow I'm hunting the stand where all the above photo's were taken (about 75 yards away anyway) ... big boy is still there, I'll shoot that massive 8 .... the wide 8 above I'd like to see better ....... look forward to another very quiet morning in the deer woods

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
Good Luck!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks for taking us along and best of luck!
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
they sure are moveing good good luck to you on your hunt hear

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Good Luck! Some BIG Bucks.....great friends!
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
I decided to sit in the stand right near where all camtracker photo's were taken. Bright moon out, no problem walking to the stands. Fairly quiet morning, light south breeze that fluttered around some. About 8:00 am I imagine, a fine young 8 point showed himself. As he came in I'd decided not to shoot. The stand is perfect, it placed his path of travel about 7-8 steps from the base of my tree, and he had to go in such a way as to place a huge cottonwood between us. Very nice in case a shooter buck follows the same path.

Anyway, he caught wind, but didn't spook and as he stalked away, I caught myself thinking "hey, that buck is a pretty nice buck!"  Too late for second guessing!

This I think is the buck - hard to be sure though

It was terribly warm this afternoon, low 80 tems. I hunted a stand that sits to the far west of the farm we hunt. I've never had much luck in it, maybe tonight would be different? It has a better chance at a big muley coming through than any other stand we have up.

Even hunting with just a longsleeve T was hot but I had an entertaining afternoon. A group of 9-10 muley's came out way out on the fields early on. I was sitting on a nice bubbling/rolling/gurlging creek which gave me a bit of cool every now and again. A skunk came out, then another and they stayed the whole afternoon across the creek. Turkey's came flying in at maybe 4 pm, landing right across and near the skunks. They lit, and were absolutely motionless for maybe 3-4 minutes, then started talking to each other. A larger group came out later, where the muley's were.

At 5 pm or so, a buck came along the opposite creek. Not a big one, but for fun I grunted, got his attention and here he came.

He was 4 on one side, and the other side looked to be broken right past the eyegaurd. he was a 18-19" wide buck if he had a full side, no tine length, maybe a 3 1/2 year old, not a "steer" body of a mature whitetail. he came to the base of my tree, all around me ... pretty cool to be that close you know? He ever worked a scrape for me. Hawks came by frequently, another group of muley's way out in the fields and near dark 2 coyotes barked/howled to each other from one side of the creek to the other. I got to see a great horned owl light on a telephone pole as I walked out.

Lots of game saw, no shooter bucks. Activity for deer is just so slow with the warm temps   :(  

This photo was taken from the stand I hunted tonight a few days ago

I don't know where I'll hunt in the morning, the wind will dictate which I choose.

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
It could be a lot slower.Passing on 2 bucks isn't slow in my book.Can't wait to head that way monday.keep us posted.
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
seems like my expectations soar when I come out here ... with all the sign and camtracker photo's yeah, you're right Mike, having 2 shooting opportunities and nice bucks and seeing a bunch of game isn't slow - its just not one of those magic days you lose count on the bucks you're seeing!

maybe that day is tomorrow, maybe Sunday ... likely when its 25 degrees cooler Monday things will change

just hunt ..... enjoy it all and hunt, nothing else you can do. I'm spending all day in the field tomorrow, putting up another stand, moving camtrackers around, moving a stand that we have up .... enjoying the day in western Kansas

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 05:29:00 AM »
Again..thanks for sharing.  I'm enjoying this greatly!
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Supposedly a north wind would be blowing this morning, so back to the stand that allt he camtracker photo's came from. Maybe I'm overhunting it? I don't know .... shifty winds this morning instead of a steady north but even so, I didn't think it was hurting me too much.

About 8 am this buck came by. He's a nice buck, we know him from last year the way his left beam developes. If he makes it 2010 he might be a cool looking buck. Right now, he's not a shooter for me. Maybe last day?  :)

We moved one stand today and put up another and sat them tonight. We saw no deer driving in today, no deer standing on the way in and out ... we jumped one little buck and that was all. We also placed a couple of camtrackers and then climbed into stands.

Again I was in the same stand I've hunted so hard on. I was wildly entertained all afternoon by fox squirrels (red squirrels). Endless bundles of energy, and the racket then make when they tassel will make you come unglued if they're right behind your tree !

Funniest part was one brought a corn cob 1/2 full of kernels from the 200 acres of still standing corn and 5 of them fought for the last 45 minutes of shooting light over the one cob instead of going to field and getting another.

In the midst of the squirrels bickering over corn, in came a nice young 8 point, ears wide. He came right in like I wanted him to, and starting scraping and rubbing the tree under me. He was not more than 20 feet doing all this, looking right up at me. Had he been a big buck I'd have come unglued.

Its great watching wildlife in your stand isn't it? There must be a migration of a small black and white woodpecker going on, I must have seen 30 of them. And all the squirrels and watching the deer, the hawks and owls .... makes for a great day doesn't it ?

Offline Throop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
I agree, nature is beautiful.. nice pics!  Good luck out there!
Adam Throop
Mohawk Longbow
64" 49@28

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Looks like the mornings may cool off for you mid week, should be on then.....shoot straight.
I was out west last week and saw some skunks also, seems to be a banner year for them!  Good Luck Brad

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
geewhiz some of u you guys have alot more will power then me. Even with wheels I shot what ever The Lord put in front one me. MEAT my brothers MEAT!  :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  Hunt save buddy.( and take care of the zipper)  :biglaugh: <><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Arnie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
Rattle my little buddy, rattle some horns.... and have a safe hunt.
-Arnie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©