3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2009 Kansas hunt - Sunday morning tag filled (page 3)  (Read 1509 times)

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2009 Kansas hunt - Sunday morning tag filled (page 3)
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
alright Brad,I've had all I can stanz and I can't stanz no more.I'm leaving out about 5am headed your direction.Call me if you get a signal and we will hook up for dinner one night.Takin my laptop just in case I have a tower.Got extra steak too.good luck see ya soon.  :bigsmyl:
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
This morning I sat Pat's stand, named that way because its 100 yards from Pat's house. Yesterday we moved this stand about 20 yards to give access to shooting better across the creek.

Mule deer does were out on the bottom at the crack of dawn. Not long afterwards, this came by and I got some video ...

http://tinypic.com/r/2ex7pdu/4

cool huh ?

A bit later, as the sun absolutely BLINDED me, I saw a doe and what appeared to be her 4 fawns, quads, that's not a common thing. They hit the bobcat and trail and spooked a bit.

At about 8 am this came by -

http://tinypic.com/r/6fwgpe/4

I passed this buck a couple of days ago if you recall.

Things got quiet for a while and at 9:20 am it happened. Across the wide open field comes a very big whitetail buck. He'd came out of a corn pivot, and was coming at a brisk pace.

He entered the opening across the creek from me, head on and turned to my left. I was ready to shoot, but when he stopped 2 big rubs were in his lung area - all I could see was big neck and rack and back end. He stood for a bit and moved, going into thick brush, down into the creek - taking time to stop for a few long drinks, and off he went.

We ranged it later today when Alvis sat the same stand at about 32 yards. I can make those shots, but this one didn't feel right and I didn't take it. It happens you know?

This afternoon I hunted the same old camtracker stand, I saw 2 does and had the same nice 8 right under me.

Remember I said Alvis had sat Pat's stand this afternoon? He rattled in the same above buck that I passed on and missed him somehow at about 25 yards. The buck had scented him and whirled at the shot I guess?

And that ended the day. A nice day, its good to know the big 10 isn't a nocturnal buck. Where is the massive 8? Where is the sticker 8 buck? Where are all the camtracker bucks?

Maybe tomorrow the weather changes and things will change with it.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
good luck ... thanks for sharing
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
Great thread Brad!! Thanx for doing it, some of us are pretty much done hunting. The cat was cool, and as stated above, it would be hard for me not to drop the string, but I know how it is. Looks like there are some bruisers around. Good Luck!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
Hard morning - saw 2 does and a dink buck.

The camtracker stand ... it looks very good however something isn't right with it. I have noticed walking in the giant rubs and scrapes stop 15 yards before my stand. Its like the deer work that creek channel, around the corn bottom/pivot and then they either go back into the corn or out into the fields south or ?? I dunno ... so I moved a stand into that corner, maybe not 150 yards from the camtracker stand but maybe that's a world of difference you know? Unbelievable deer sign in there - like cattle trails they're beat out so much with deer tracks.

This noon, we went to an area I've never been and hung a stand along a row of huge fresh scrapes and a guy told us he'd seen a 175" typical 10 point in their last night.

I had 3 does, 1 nub buck, 1 spike and right at dark a nice buck coming in but he swung out wide. Shooter? I don't know .... never got that great a look at him.

Long day .... can't believe all the bucks have just vanished ...

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
from what I have read and had friends tell me, a flash camera will cause the deer to start avoiding that position. I just thought I would mention it, apparently they don't like the flash more than a couple times for the most part.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 01:22:00 AM »
sounds like one helluva trip Brad and a lot of nice bucks photos!!!

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
Cool stuff Brad, keep it comin!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
I hunted this morning and it was so slllloooowwww .... at 10:30 am I suppose I watched a buck come from 500 yards or more and ended up directly under me working a scrape - just a small non-shooter 7 point.

I hung a stand this afternoon ... I'll take a picture of it tomorrow if I hunt it. Its not a typical type tree, its right where the big big 10 came off the field the other night, at the upper edge where the bobcat video was.

I hunted the camtracker stand tonight, had a small buck in the edge of the corn and I think Blade was there too.

Slow day guys, this is the point when I start weighing my hunting vs being home with the family. If I stay much longer I'm going to have to declare myself a Kansas resident I think !

I can come back for 3 days Thanksgiving .... I'm going to have to decide just how many more days to do this.

Here are two photo's that we got the past couple days .... all bucks are night photo's  :(

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
OOOOOO  DROP POINT!  I give you guys credit to be able to pass up deer. MEAT is whats for supper LOL great stuff buddy. Love it all.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
Still digging it!  Stay just a couple more days...just for me!  LOL!
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
I'm really tired tonight, I sat in a frickin stand so long today I can't straighten my legs!

I saw a big big shooter this morning, he got to 25 yards and wouldn't take the extra 2 steps  :(  .... saw another maybe shooter, just long tiresome day and the last 5 hours I sat looking into a cold, wet SE wind

Mark sat the stand I sat an evening and morning and saw only 2 bucks and he had 9 bucks by today, 3 shooters and he shot one with his wheelie, bad shot, Rage broadhead, maybe he'll find it tomorrow.

I'm sitting this stand (where he shot that one) in the morning while he looks for it.

maybe tomorrow morning will be the morning..

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 08:58:00 AM »
Sounds like you're hitting that wall in the hunt where enthusiasm is quickly replaced by skepticism...  Time to give that last burst to the finish line!  All in!
Hope today is better!  Good luck!
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
Hillboy killed a nice buck south of where I hunt this morning ..... nice story to tell to.

I hunted until a bit after 8 am and spent all morning looking for a deer we never found.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
I didn't have the day Mike did unfortunately ... a few small dink bucks, a hot doe at dark and not a dang shooter .... wow, where did all the bucks go? I can see the big old bucks taking does somewhere and holding up.... but all the 3.5 year old 140" class bucks?

Weird .... I mean this should be close to peak rutting you know?

I've got a couple of camtracker bucks and a couple I snapped photo's of .... no energy to post them tonight to be honest  :(

Maybe the hardest hunt I've had, I NEED it to change tomorrow, and I believe it will. North wind will be blowing and at last I get to hunt the corner pivot area of where the big buck camtracker photo's were taken. I've been in that camtracker stand but its probably 125 yard away from the bend.

Does it matter that much? Maybe so - I'll find out tomorrow.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
First time I've ever sat all day long in a stand, daylight until dark. It aint easy. I saw 6 bucks today, I took a shot at a nice 9 point but it was at an odd twist of the body and he was in the bottom of the creek drainage I overlook and I didn't bend enough at the waist and shot a tad over him. I actually think my fletching hit hit back, and he jumped the string just a bit because I'd whistled to stop him.

I didn't wound him, he wasn't a big one .... its all good.

I'm hunting until 10 am or so in the morning and calling it a hunt. Sometimes it just seems everything wrong happens and tags don't get filled. Still, I've got 4 more hours in the morning, I'm going to stay positive until its really over.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
Good luck and great pics!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Good luck Brad! It ain't over till the lady we all know sings!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
Awesome thread, and a nice buck!
>>>--------->

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
Saturday morning was last morning ..... I hunted the stand near where the camtracker hung again. I had does and fawns all around me all morning. At 9:30 am I rattled in this dink buck. We'd seen him often this week, calling him Blade Jr because he looked very much like Blade buck did last year. He wandered in, and around and off .... and I wondered if last second I shouldn't kill a consolation buck, take home some meat .... his genetics aint nothing special and so i rattled again and with a combine running 100 yards away here he comes in.

I shot him at 7 steps from the base of my tree. I hit him high about 5 ribs from the back and the arrow quartered down and back, exiting last rib. The SteelForce 225 gr single bevel was buried 6" in the soft soil on the opposite side with a blood spray. I knew I'd killed him and there is a great satisfaction in shooting one with a recurve, and it don't matter if he's a 180" 5x5 or a little dink.

I hunted hard, I passed on a lot of bucks until the last day shooting a consolation meat buck, I saw bobcat, hawks, owls, all kinds of little birds, small game, pheasants .... had great friends inviting me out, great country ..... after my little vertigo issue this summer I'm just glad to have had the opportunity to go and roll the dice on a B&C buck. Didn't happen but it was a successful hunt from beginning to end.

I'll upload a few more pictures of camtracker bucks later today, here is my buck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©