3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey camo?  (Read 299 times)

Offline Keith361

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey camo?
« on: November 04, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
I know that camo isn't the biggest issue with deer, and I am very eager to try out the flannel on them this year, but I'm wondering if that would be smart to try on Turkey?

I have never hunted Turkey before, but am very excited about giving it a shot.

Does anyone have any feedback about their camo?

Keith
"If there must be trouble then let it be in my day, that my children may live in peace."   Thomas Paine
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddeling up anyway"
John Wayne

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey camo?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
I was hunting deer tonight, dressed in a ghillie. I had two tom turkeys within 3 yards of me. I know what I will be wearing come spring turkey season.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Ky Double Lung

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
I am a firm believer in ASAT camo. I had a group of toms come in Monday afternoon around 1 pm as I was getting out of tree. I was about 8 feet of the ground when I heard them coming over the ridge. When they topped the hill we were at eye level and they never noticed me. I thought I would have some fun with them so I gave them a couple of hard gobbles. That is what started the fight! Those toms fought for at least 2 minutes. They finally drifted off and never even noticed me!
Cactus Cal's
'Saguaro' R/D Longbow 58"
55 lbs. @ 28"
Beman 340 MFX Classic 31"
100 grain brass insert
2 blade 125 Magnus Stinger
Total weight: 592 grains
"Bustin' hearts all over Ky."

Offline Keith361

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
Guess I didn't ask my question as clearly as I thought, I'm trying to see if anyone out there hunts turkey without using traditional style camo, i.e. flannel.

Keith
"If there must be trouble then let it be in my day, that my children may live in peace."   Thomas Paine
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddeling up anyway"
John Wayne

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
I hunt turkeys out of a double bull blind, so i dont worry too much about camo.  I just wear a black top shirt and a face mask and the turkeys dont see to notice.

Deer on the other need are much more sensitive to a pop up blind that isn't brushed in.
>>>--------->

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
Fall turkey season here includes shotguns and high powered rifles/twenty-twos, etc.  Only an idiot would run around in a Ghillie suit or camo, without some sort of orange on them.

In spring, it's shotguns, and looking like foilage isn't a good idea in the mixed woods.  

Honestly, it's movement that gives you away....and, if the turkeys can't see you, neither can the hunters.  Be careful.

Offline saywhat?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
I've had turkey walk within 10 feet of me while sitting on the ground pistol hunting in blaze orange.  Nothing was between us and the hens just kept on feeding as they passed.  I did have a camo face mask on, though.  They key in on movement much more than anything.

Conceal what you can with any camo, but movement is what will bust you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©