3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quillian Bamboo longhunter  (Read 446 times)

Offline cadillac

• Trad Bowhunter
Quillian Bamboo longhunter
« on: November 04, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Hey doods,

This will probably be an easy answer for most, but I need some aluminum arrow help. My primary bow is gonna need some repairs and I never bothered to get any arrows for my backup which is a 57#@28" Quillian Bamboo longhunter. 2213's and 2018's are too stiff (consistently shooting left).

On a different note, I forgot how well the old Quillian shoots. It may end up being leapfrogging my recurve.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quillian Bamboo longhunter
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
I had a 58# Bamboo Longhunter, and it shot 2117's like darts. If you can't find arrows you like for it, call, me & I'll buy it from you. I would love to have another one at that draw weight.
Sam

Offline dennis rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
Next step would be 2016 and them bow's killed a lot of critter's
william d. rice

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
If the Longhunters are marked like the Canebreaks, your 57#er is probably more like 60-61#s.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Brook Trout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
what weight points?  maybe try some heavier points on the 2018s

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
At that weight, you should be able to shoot 2117's. F.F. or Dacron? 2018's maybe...

Good shootin, Steve.

Offline cadillac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I'll try the 2117's

Offline Brook Trout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
I may be wrong, but I think 2117's are actually stiffer than 2018.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
Sorry I can't help with arrows as I shoot wood out of my Longhunters but just thought I would add that they are fantastic bows , very underated in my opinion . I would shoot them more if I was brave enough to try to put a limb bolt on them so I could take them down  for travel .
  Best of luck with it you will not be dissapointed .
  Fred
Greyfox54

Offline the force

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
2117s are stiffer than 2018 try a heavier tip in the 2018s thats what i shoot out of my curve and its 60 pound at 28.
Hoyt Tiburon

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
29", 2018 shafts, with 125 grain broadheads shoot great out of my 55 to 58 pound bows. You did not say what your draw length or arrow length happens to be. I pull 27 and 3/4 to 28" consistantly with my set-up. If you are shooting arrows shorter than 29" you might try a heavier broadhead. By the way, I also find 2017 shafts to be a little stiffer than my 2018's at the same length. Good luck.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
Caddy, I missed read the "shooting left" part. Yes, 2217s are stiffer than 2018s. So try a heavier point like said.
 You didn't say if shooting F.F. or Dacron. I know Dan's bows were sent with F.F.
 Both are great shaft sizes! All said though at that weight, they should fly good, like Bill says.

Offline cadillac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
This one was made for Dacron. It was built sometime around 89'. It belonged to my dad and was given to me when he put it down about 6 years ago. I really am enjoying it. It isn't quite as quick or as sexy as my RER, but is whisper quiet and very light.

I bought about 2 doz. 2018's and cut/prepped them to 28 3/4" for my recurve last year. They absolutely scream out of the curve. The Longhunter is not as close to center-shot as my recurve, so I realy didn't know where to start.

I'd like to try to stick with 125gr. points and broadheads, since thats what I have on hand.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
Yes, in '89 Dan was still using Dacron. I have an '88 model that I converted it to FF when Dan started using it a couple of years later. The FF wore through the walnut overlays, and I had to send it in to get the overlays replaced with something tougher. Jeffrey Archery made the Bamboo Longhunters and did the repair. Mine has taken a good number of elk and deer, and it's still going strong.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
I use to have one that cracked at the grip and repaired that is still out there. It was 60@28. I sure would like to have that one back.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
Don't know about your longhunter but I am sure I've heard that Dan marked his bows at 26" of draw for years.  That's why so many people claim they pull more.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Brook Trout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
If you want to use your existing points, try 2016.

Offline cadillac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 02:19:00 AM »
Quick update:

I stumbled on some 190gr points at the archery shop yesterday while picking up some new arrows.

I put the 190gr points on the 28 3/4" 2018's that I've been using for my recurve and did some bareshafting. That looks like its doing the trick. I still need to get a little more weight on point, so I ordered the PDP point weight system. Looks like I may end up joining the EFOC crowd.

Offline cadillac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 05:37:00 AM »
I ended up with 200gr field points, and added 70 more grains with the PDP weights. I'm hitting exactly where I want to now and the arrows are flying great. I'm up to about 28% FOC.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 06:23:00 AM »
It was my experience that Dan's bows made by Jeffrey pulled LESS than what was marked. Jeffrey marked them at 28", but they used a higher brace height for the test than Dan recommended. When the brace height was brought down, the bow pulled less than marked, usually 4#. Every bow I checked was like that. I've had at least six of them.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©