3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What should I shoot  (Read 436 times)

Offline Throop

• Trad Bowhunter
What should I shoot
« on: November 04, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
Okay, I just purchased a New Hummingbird b/d long bow.  its 50# 28".  I'm trying to figure out the best arrows I should shoot.  What weight arrow, broad heads.  I'm new to trad hunting and trying to skip past the screw ups with help on tg.com Iv been shooting a Kodiak re curve and I haven't done bad for a beginner, I shoot between 10 and 20 yards and do extremely well at 10-15 yards being a beginner. Thanks, Adam Throop
Adam Throop
Mohawk Longbow
64" 49@28

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What should I shoot
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
What is your draw length?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
Hey Adam...glad that Bear brought you from the darkside...lol
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Throop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
Hey My draw length is 29".  Thanks terry, i owe you some arrows though.  I'm going to need some tuning help with the new bow.
Adam Throop
Mohawk Longbow
64" 49@28

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Picking up what Vermonster started, to figure the arrow spine we'll need to know your draw length to figure your actual draw weight and arrow length.  I'm going to assume your Hummingbird is cut to center, but if it's cut past center we'll need that, too.  Arrow weight can run from 9 to 12 grains per pound, with most of us leaning toward the heavy side, so around 500 to 600 gr total would be good.  I prefer broadheads on the heavy side, 160+, as they shoot best for me.  I like wood shafted arrows, some here shoot alum and there are lots shooting carbon so you will find plenty of help with whatever you want to shoot.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »
As bad as I shoot you would be better off with advise from some of the guys/gals on this site...but we can fling arrows all winter in the barn. Just stay out of the cabelas so you have money for arrows.
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Throop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
Hey, sounds good terry.  Its so hard to stay out of cabelas when you have me stuck up here...lol.  Also you dont shoot bad so dont say that and down grade your self now.  Your the one inspired me to go trad!
Adam Throop
Mohawk Longbow
64" 49@28

Offline Throop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
Okay My draw is 30"  and the bow is 50#s at 28".  I'm probably going to shoot aluminum for a while because of the beginner issue of breaking carbon/ceder and those are a little more $.  What grain size and grain should I shoot.. Thanks
Adam Throop
Mohawk Longbow
64" 49@28

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Carbons are just as tough as aluminum. Beman ICS Bowhunter shafts are just as cheap as aluminum too. They are all I shoot anymore. I have shot cedar, aluminum and several different carbons, but nothing works as well for me as these. The low cost is a bonus.

Is your draw 29" or 30"? You stated both. If that 30" is what you drew with a compound, you will lose about 1-1/2" with a trad bow. If it is truly 30" you are at about 56# with that bow. You could probably go with a 400 spine carbon shaft and load the front fairly heavily to get to 500-600 grains total weight.  If you are at 29" you may need to go with 500's depending on how your bow is cut (center or beyond). If it's beyond, the 400's will still probably work fine.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Throop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
My draw length is 29 sorry for the confusion.  I'm unclear about the how the bow is cut.  Once again new to trad.  Center or beyond.  Mind to explain it to me.  I am also confused about the diameter of the arrows.  I understand it needs to be between 500-600.  I figured I would get 400 with 150 tip?  Sorry this is all new to me and I'm used to picking up a compound going and getting a release and some arrows and hitting what I put the pin on.
Adam Throop
Mohawk Longbow
64" 49@28

Offline mustoffa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
Hi it take time to get good and a lot of practice but you make it fun and it all comes together and dont every come down on yourself everyone did the same when they strated.now about arrows you can find cheap carbons and they tend to hold up better then alum.they dont bend and there pretty tough.Alium tend to bend and I dont like to try to strighten them.big jim has blow out arrow they just been painteed wrong but work great and the cost is low id try 5575 and experiment with different grain tips.center shoot means if you shelf is cut past center look down your string and see if it look like your shelf stick out past your sting .if so it not center cut if it looks even then its center cut.and if it looks cut past center you should see a gab betwen string and shelf wall. it will be very little diffeneces maybe a 1/8 inch or so  good luck and dont give up pretty soon youll be shooting as good as everyone else.
vernon thompson

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
Try this I shoot almost the exact same set up. 3555 trad goldtips 30" long 5-5 1/2 inch fletching, arrow wrap, 175grain feild point. For broadhead I shoot the simmons landsharks, tigersharks, or Magnus 1's. This setup flies great and works out to around 9.5 grains per pound. I shot a 180 lb. buck last year and it lodged into the opposite shoulder. good luck you have a great bow.LCH

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©