3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold Weather Boots?  (Read 951 times)

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Cold Weather Boots?
« on: November 05, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
Been looking into getting some cold weather boots. I have checked out Schnee's, Russell, Danner, Sorell, Muck, and a few others. Just looking to see what some of you who live up North Prefer.

My feet get exceptionally cold, even living down South I suffer year to year...I have nerve damage in my feet which make them sensitive to cold weather. Basically my feet get cold and hurt in 40 degree weather so you can imagine what it is like when we get the rare 20's down here.

Money is not a concern so let me hear your experience with different boots. Being comfortable in stand is definitely worth the investment:)

Chris

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cold Weather Boots?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »
Chris, I really like Danner boots.  I have a pair of 600 gram Elk hunters and a pair of 600 gram Canadians that I really like.  When it gets really cold here in the late season I use these same boots but layer up on socks.  When it gets down to sigle digits and below up here I wear a pair of liner sock, a pair of heavy Cabelas outfitter wool socks, and then a pair of these boots and my feet stay nice and tosty warm.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
Chris, i have the same problem.  i finally settled on the insulated muck boots for temps under 40.  i ordered them one size larger than needed. i wear a thin liner sock and a medium weight wool blend over that.  i have some 50 gram thinsulate fleece boot warmers that i picked up from L.L. Bean a few years back that are quiet.  i put hand warmers in them over my boots when it gets really cold (which to me is anything under 32 degrees!).  This works for me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »
Chris,

I can't relate to cold feet unless it's well below 0.  But the Danner 600 gram Elk Hunters have served both Jason and I well for many years now.  With sock liners and good wool socks they are our go to boots for our trips up north.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
Steger Mukluks (muklucks.com) have a product known as the "Camuks" and "Camuks Xtreme".  These would seriously get my vote as a "flatland" boot for the cold.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
When I deer hunt from a stand or blind or go ice fishing, I don't mess around. Mickey Mouse Boots, however they're not good for stalking.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
Welcome to the "I get cold easy" brotherhood Chris! I've tried every pair of boots my budget would allow for many years and finally found something that worked for me 2 years ago. I bought a pair of LaCrosse Alphaburly sport side-zip 1200grm rubber boots from Don Wilson. I got them about a half size too big, I use a cabela's outfitter liner sock, a merino wool oversock and when it's in the teens (like at Don's in Jan) I put toe warmer on each liner sock. My feet are warm and dry under any condition, not even a bit of discomfort with this setup even all day. The side zipper is absolutely the deal too, can't imagine having rubber boots without it now. One constant I have found, make sure the boots aren't too tight...either in the foot or ankle/leg area. The best insulated boots in the world won't do a bit of good if they are too tight.

By the way, I've got a pair of insulated Danner's on their 3rd sole and though I love them dearly and wear them 90% of the time in warm weather, I would never consider them a cold weather boot.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
I have to second the Mickey mouse boots,  money is not a concern here either when it comes to cold feet, I have not found anything better.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
Thomas, are those the surplus boots with the air valve/bladder arrangement?
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
I have 3 pair of rubber boot with different levels of insulation and of course the colder it is the heavier i go. When i get to where im going i simply kick off my boots and put toe warmers on the top and bottom of my toes. My feet have NEVER gotten cold since i started doing this.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
I have a pair of Danner Canadians. I too am constantly battling chilly feet. Thee boots ar fine for me when temps dip into the 30's however I add toe warmers to a pair of smartwool socks and that seems to work.

If temps drop below or stay in the 30's all day with no warming up in sight, then I where my Schnees Pack boots. Great product but they could be warmer for me. I will at times add toe warmers when I where these and I wish that I did not need too.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN COLD WEATHER BOOTS IS THE FIT!!!! A boot that is slightly too tight will keep blood from circulating and your feet will get cold. My feet get cold very easily. I've tried 2000gm thinsulate Cabelas guide boots, danners, rocky, lacrosse to name a few. I've spent of $1000 over 6 yrs to find a pair of boots/sock combination that works. Well, I found what works great for me. First off, the SOCKS. Get the extra heavy weight Smartwool hunting socks. Get them at least midcalf high if not over the calf. Get them in a size that just fits ( almost too loose) You don't want to have the sock stretch to much and squeeze your foot. Then..believe it or not get some mickey boots. They run big. I wear a 12eeee in shoes. I wear a 11W in these boots. They fit slightly loose with this combo. My feet do NOT get cold. They might get a little cool but NOT cold. They socks are also the key...wool. The smart wool are woven with what they call "smart-fit". Basically they stay on your feet without spinning or bunching. Very nice socks. The boots are nice and water proof (rubber) and there isn't a real lining inside to get funky smelling. You really want to have the taller socks so the top of the boots don't touch your leg cause they pull your hair out..it hurts! I have only tried the boots with the valve on the side. I don't know if they are made the same way as the ones without the valve. The valve sucks. If you sit with your leg tucked up under you with the outside of your ankle down that valve pokes into your ankle and it hurts. I have cut out the valve on my 2 pair. Just pull on it with pliers and slice around it with a razor..comes right out. I then have repaired the hole with a inside tubeless tire repair patch on one pair. The other pair I just filled the hole with 100% silicone caulking. Both methods work fine. Sorry for the lengthy reply but I know how cold feet can ruin a hunt. Good luck This is by far the best combo I've found. I've tried just about everything from socks and liners combos and boots. This works buddy.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
by the way. This worked for me on a 2 day hunt in 0-9 deg weather last year. Hunting from a blind, not moving, not stalking just sittin there fat and happy waiting for something to walk by.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
I have a pair of Cabelas Iron Ridge they are warm an not to expensive I also have a pair of 1800 gram thinsulate lacrosse burly's with wool socks they are great.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
Just a note if you use a pair of Thermax socks and Polypropylene then wool socks your feet will be warm do not use cotton socks ever.The Thermax and the poly wick away the sweat which keeps feet warm.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
I'm told in survival training if your feet get cold put on a hat and if they stay cold put on another . I wear Northern insulated rubber boots when it gets cold and sometimes wear 2 fleece type pullover hats , real cold and I carry an army surplus od green wool scarf and wrap around my neck , really works .  
  I also have a pair of Mickey Mouse boots for when I don't have to walk far as my feet sweat easily in them .
  Fred
Greyfox54

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »
Oh yea i forgot to mention those smart wool socks. I have never found anything that works better than those socks. Put a sock liner on then put your toe warmers on those then put your smart wool socks on. I sat in a blind in Canada for 6 days in temps way below zero and my feet never got cold. I had to change the warmers about 5 hours in but i wear rubber boots that are a half size to big for cold weather so there easy to take off.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
I have had Mickey Mouse boots for years and never thought about removing the annoying valve.
Great idea.  The boots are as good as anything I've ever tried and I've tried about everything.

Offline homerdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
schnees and whites are what we have, my wife likes the white's because they have a little more insulation in the sole. the schnees are a bit lighter and i prefer them.
poly or silk liners and a good wool or wool blend sock are important, as mentioned. also have spare liners that you can change out if you go with a liner type boot.
tell me how close you got, not how far you shot

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the info...I have a pair of MM boots but they are too small for me now. Plus I can not use my climber with them on!

Beleive it or not my feet have grown over a size in the last couple years. I have a couple pair of new boots that I am going to have to get rid of.

I am a big fan of smart wool and liners. Have more than enough of them in every size.

Agree completely with boots not being to tight. I have been following that rule for more years than I can remember.

Chris

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©