3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: one recurve harder to shoot than another?  (Read 306 times)

Offline shakey slim

• Trad Bowhunter
one recurve harder to shoot than another?
« on: November 05, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
i have a beautiful recurve for some reason i just can't seem to shoot as well as another recurve i have / is prob just me but wow what a difference -------------- more practice does seem to help though lol /
i never regretted a day in the woods/ a hippie taught me to hunt

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: one recurve harder to shoot than another?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
I don't have a whole lot of experience with curves as I prefer straight longbows, but I've shot a few, some for awhile and some only briefly.  I have found that there is tremendous difference in the grips/risers of curves, both in size and shape.  I know that with my smallish hands, this makes a tremendous difference in how well they shoot for me, or perhaps I should say how well I can shoot them.  They also usually have a lot more weight than my longbows.  The weight/balance issue affects the high/low of my shooting.  The overall size or width of the riser can affect my grip and thus the right/left.  

I see a lot of threads about "what bow is best" and, to me, it seems the truth is that it is more a matter of how a bow fits or feels to you than who made it or or its style or type.  I've sold fine bows that just weren't for me.  I think the trick is to find a few bows you like that work well for you and hang onto them.

Even though right now I'm shooting all longbows I've made, I have three recurves, a TradTech Titan, an A riser Bear and a vintage Super Kodiak, that I've held onto.  They fit my hand, draw smooth and shoot well.  I know if I ever decide to go recurve again, they're there.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
The grip is usually the deal maker/breaker with me on a curve.The reason I dislike most longbows is usually the low wrist grip.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
yes some are harder to shoot than others, the grip but also the draw will be differant, I have to have a smooth drawing bow for my style of shooting, some bows though lighter in draw weight don't work for me because they "feel" heavier to me.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
Personal experience is that the shorter the recurve the harder it is to shoot. I prefer 58" to 64" myself regardless of poundage and hunt mostly with 60" recurves. Just my personal preference. The longer target recurve all shoot good for me.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
Just Like People, they  ALL  have their Quirks, Good and Bad. Just My $.02   :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
I have one, a Martin Serengeti, a beautiful bow, but I just can't shoot if for heck!
I shoot a little 52" K-mag much better.
The Serengti is the most difficult bow to shoot well I have ever had.
But, I'll keep trying and it does look good on my bow rack! It is worth owning as decoration!
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 07:20:00 AM »
Try wraping the handle with leather and it will sometimes give you a quick fix. I had a Silvertip I couldnt shoot because of the handle and it worked.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
Some recurves have grips that just plain don't work for me. I really think finding a grip that fits your hand and is a consistant grip for you is half the battle in finding a great shooting bow.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
It is all about the grip to me if it doesn't naturally fit get another bow IMO , or you can take a rasp to it .

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
The length was a huge issue for me. I went from a 46" to a 60" and my groups shrinked a LOT. I'm probably not shooting any better I just think the bow is more forgiving.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 03:02:00 AM »
Another problem might be you don't have it tuned as well as you think you do.
But I also found out that if I switch back and forth from differant bow grips and types of bows it really takes awhile for your  brain to adjust.
I have went from a longbow to a recurve. And while I can see that my arrow is shooting alot faster with the recurve I was shooting 6 inches low.. I guess it was because now with the med. grip my shooting hand was pointed down farther then with my longbow grip... So I was shooting low...
I suggest just sticking with one bow and mastering  it.
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©