3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tillering pix of "Ol' Cracker"  (Read 347 times)

Offline Mulberry River

• Trad Bowhunter
Tillering pix of "Ol' Cracker"
« on: April 07, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
What a great weekend it's been!  My new Kaibab II came in yesterday a.m. & it's super!  I applied some Spider Leggs to it last night, then went fishing for Smallmouth @ the Big Piney Creek with my son after working this a.m.  We put on our waders & fished for a couple hours & it was beautiful, although chilly (invigorating).  Then I shot a couple dozen arras through the Chaparral & I COULD NOT hear the string; only the sound of my glove swishing off the serving!!  I'm gonna try recording it tomorrow afternoon.  Can't believe how quiet it is...  Braced @ 7.25" which eased down to 7" after a couple hours.  52# @ 28#, 60" AMO. Wow...  
Anyhow, here's a couple of shots of a white oak selfbow I'm trying to salvage.

As you might guess by the name I had a lil' prollem trying to short-string it too early on.

She's drawing 56# @ 23.5" here.

Let me know what you think.  Any idea how much more wood I need to scrape to hit 57# at 28"??  I want to finish out at 52# @ 28" after all is said & done.

She cracked in the upper fade through the arrow rest area, so I got as much Titebond III as I could in that crack, clamped her down tite, then laminated a (thick) paper-thin layer of the same wood over the whole strike-plate area & clamped it down good n Tite.  So far she's holding up.  Please give me your thoughts on the tiller.     :help:
Some night you're gonna wind up on the wrong end of a gun...Vince Gill

Offline Luke Vander Vennen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tillering pix of "Ol' Cracker"
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
Mid limb needs to bend more on both limbs. It probably cracked on you because the fade area was bending too much and was under too much stress.
Dances with Turtles

Offline Mulberry River

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »
Thanks, Luke.  That's the area I've been working on.  Actually, the distal portion of the mid-limb is where she's been showing a flat zone with the scraper test method I'm using.  Almost had a hinge right at mid-limb.  Does that jive with the picture?
Some night you're gonna wind up on the wrong end of a gun...Vince Gill

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
Definitely stay away from the fade areas for now. The rest of the limbs look fine, just watch those fades!!
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©