3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you guy's deal with wind?  (Read 680 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you guy's deal with wind?
« on: November 06, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
Spent purdy much all day in the woods, suppose to be south east wind, which it was, but these hills and hollers are killing me. I can't ever seem to get the wind to stay in one direction! walk in wind in my face,get to where I'm going set down ugh... wind shifts, hits me in the back!  :banghead:   seems like its been more windy than usual the last 2 years, got me jerking my hair out!! What do you guy's do?? Jason

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you guy's deal with wind?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Hunting in terrain can be frustrating on windy days as the wind will swirl and eddy without any consistency.  Some will hunt it anyway and hope for the best; others will back out and hunt where there is a more consistent wind, usually high or flat ground.  Often the wind will calm down going into the evening and then you can hunt the thermals, which will be falling.  On sunny days, the rising thermals of morning and midday can really help out.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
Stay clean,and Hunt. I live better in the woods than on a couch. Most of my buddies stay home when the wind is blowing. Windy as heck today and had Deer come in an bed down in ravine by me this morning to get out of the wind. Tonight they were all bedded down in ravine and my brushy Jungle. Just stayed out of range. No Deer got killed by staying home, my dad used to say. But I have noticed they don't move around much unless down out of the wind.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
I thought you meant something else!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Forget the wind..... Just HUNT!!!!!    :thumbsup:  

Honestly, just look the other way!!!!! All of my stands are set up so that if the wind changes, I can turn and look in a differant direction. (I mostly hunt from the ground) I spray my hunting clothes with cover scent,or I put them in a bag with some buck lure,which may also help,but I've shot more than a few deer with the wind blowing right at them. If you have wind coming from a predominant direction you can move,but if your problem is "swirly winds" your just beating your head against the wall  :banghead:   if you try to move every time they change IMHO.   I also believe the shifting winds are just as confusing to deer. They smell something but they can't pin-point it,because they smell it one minute and it's gone the next,causing them to rely more on thier eyes and ears. If your in a good spot and the wind keeps shifting,sit tight. You never know when something will come by and the wind will be in your favor.

Just HUNT, Good Luck!!!!!   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline high mountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 05:36:00 AM »
I have the exact same problem. The winds are NEVER steady.
I try to be as scent free as I can...the rest is just hunt and hope for the best.
Ive hunted these areas for a LONG time...and if I waited for a steady wind...Id never be able to hunt.

Like others have said...I try to set up so that I can just "hope" they come from a different direction when the wind changes...the problem is its ALWAYS changing....will blow at my face..then at my back...then from the left...then from the right. All within a 2 minute window.
It used to really frustrate me...but now I just do the best I can, since I really dont have any other options.

And like Woodchucker says..its got to be just as confusing to the deer.
The only saving grace is..this is my brothers property. Hes always out there (40 acres) all summer, cutting wood,running chainsaws, etc. I think this makes the deer here slightly less nervous about human smells.

Good luck.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 05:48:00 AM »
Check out ridges for windy days.  The wind will be more consistant.  I have a big oak flat that is my favorite wind and rain place.  If the weather turns bad.  I make a big circle and get the wind right and then still hunt that area.  I also have a stand on the ridge leading in from the bedding area that I hunt when the wind is bad.

The deer I hunt are on a fairly small piece of land (350 acres) and have cattle and cowboys coming and going all the time.  They kinda hunker down when the trucks are around but soon as they leave they are back going strong.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
It's difinetly a swirling wind, seems like I've fought this my whole hunting life. I have a 90 acre piece of ground I've been given permission to hunt on and it's nothing but a hill and a holler lots of deer sign there and have seen alot of deer! I've done purdy much what you guy's have said, take showers in sent free soap wash my cloths in sent free detergent, take all the precautionary messures to ensure a scent free area. I guess I'll quit fretten and just hunt! it might help if I used a tree stand but I like it on the ground!! Jason

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 07:53:00 AM »
If we didn't hunt in Wyoming unless it was calm, we wouldn't be hunting much! I hope and pray for wind that won't blow your hair off, and when I hunted a lot west of Casper, it seemed that it would do exactly that. Swirling wind is a fact of life, and I just deal with it as well as I can, but it does become frustrating, to say the least.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline sleepingbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
On a real windy day I love to still hunt.  Every thing is moving so you can make a mistake and get away with it. I have found that deer, especially bucks, stay in the open near edges because they can't rely on their sense of hearing. You see a deer, get downwind and get aggressive

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
You must have been reading my mind as I was sitting in a stand just this morning thinking the same thing!  :D   Walked in with the wind in my face. Sat down to have it swirl 180 degress before daylight the commence to switching directions every few minutes for the next 3 hours.. I'm doing like most have said. Stay as clean as possible and hope for the best.

Wonder if theres been any studies done as to just how long human scent stays strong enough for deer to smell and how far downwind as well?
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
I really really hate the wind but twice I shot 2 bucks in gusting winds and a couple weeks ago here a buddy got a 12 pointer during 30 mile an hr gusts...  I do think the deer get a little skittish because they basically lost a couple senses sight & sound but I think eventually they have to go on with the daily routine and just deal with it and carefully do what they do.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
What has been successful for me is to bath and wash my clothes with no scent soap. Most of the ones on the market now are pretty good. The last few years I have used Dead Down Wind soaps and shampoos. Not trying to push their products I just like them. I hang my cloths outside to dry and seal them in plastic bags until ready to put on. The only cover scent and/or attractant I have used the last few years has been the smoke sticks that burn like the old firecracker punks. I have had deer so close I could literaly reach out and touch them if I had chose to, and if they knew I was there they certainly did not act like it. I have also used red fox or racoon urine in conjuction with the smoke sticks, but not always. I never spray it on my cloths, but on the bark and leaves of the trees I am sitting in. I have had bucks nibble on branches and make scrapes at cedar trees I was hiding in only four feet away. Will it work every time on every deer? Probably not, because deer are different. Some are jumpy and skittish all the time and others seam always relaxed. I have hunted whitetail deer with bow and arrow since the 60's and have tried everything imaginable and it seams I am more successful with this method than any other I have used. It has been the best when I find myself up wind of deer.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
Scrub up and hope for the best!! sounds good to me! Thanks, Jason

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
Swirling winds confuse the deer as much as it does the deer hunter.  Just get into the woods and hunt it the best you can.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 02:52:00 AM »
What George just said!

Also, start paying attention to what exactly the wind is doing in different places you are hunting.  Some things I've noticed are these:

1.  In hilly terrain, the thermals are usually going down in the morning when it's cool and switch to going up later in the day.

2.  Regardless of the wind direction, if it's not too strong, there is usually a "lull" to almost dead calm just around sunset.

3.  Wind is like water and swirls and eddies are formed by terrain features.  If you are in a block of tall timber and the wind is from the west, when you are on the east side, the wind will swirl from the east back towards the edge.  I think there is a bit of a vacuum/venturi created as the faster moving air goes over the tops of the trees and it pulls air into the woods on the downwind side.

4.  See #2.  It also applies to hills and ridges.  If a ridge runs north to south and wind is from the west, it will swirl on the downwind side and depending on wind speed and steadiness, will "puff" from east to west on the down wind side.  Think of an ocean wave as being the air going over the top of the hill and the undertow is the reverse swirl.  Some days it almost seems like the woods are breathing in and out....

5.  If the wind is "puffy" back and forth, try to set up or still hunt at 90 degrees to it.  Crosswinds are just as good to hunt as wind in your face, probably better.  If the wind reverses, it's still a cross wind and you are "safe".

6.  If the terrain isn't super hilly or the hills are not very tall, sometimes you can go up higher in a tree and get above features that cause the swirling and the wind will "straighten out".

7.  Try the scent eliminator stuff if you want but don't get your hopes up too much.  I think it helps but I really don't believe it works as well as some people would have you believe.  Kinda like camo clothing.  However, personal confidence is awfully important.  Think of it as sort of a "lucky rabbits foot".  Maybe it works???....
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 06:51:00 AM »
The last few days here the deer have not moved in daylight because of the winds 5-25 MPH

I live in Appalachia where we have no wind usally, only thermals that swirl and drift with the thermals . I used to laugh at the so called professional hunters who say to only hunt if the wind is right, they would never huubnt here.

Thermals will be falling before daylight but as the sun rises they will drift up hill. Thermals also rise out of a drainage, which the head of that drainage may be a mile from you when it starts rising and pulling your scent with it.

I do not hunt many evenings becuase the thermals are rising to the bedding areas when you get in your stand then falling during the witching hour and the deer never show before DARK .

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 07:22:00 AM »
If the winds are swirling there is really not much you can do except put the prevailing wind in your face and hope for the best or go home. I use the scent away spray and feel like it helps out a little.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
If you think your frustrated now, then just follow some of the advice about forgetting the wind and just hunting. You'll really pull your hair out when the game your hunting snorts and runs away.
  :scared:
We have some issues with highwalls and the swirling winds. We don't hunt them. We find travel routes to and from the areas and place our stands in the funnels.
Confused deer mean scared deer. Scared deer means a whole lot of problems. Do yourself a favor and try alternate set-ups.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by leatherneck:
[QB] If you think your frustrated now, then just follow some of the advice about forgetting the wind and just hunting. You'll really pull your hair out when the game your hunting snorts and runs away.

That is very true. No matter how many big rubs,scrapes, trails and piles of fresh crap you have in one area if the wind is not right you cannot hunt it and see anything. You will probably ruin that entire area if your in there enough.  The deer will change their routes. Movement in the stand and wind are the two biggest reasons you will not see anything.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©