3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you guy's deal with wind?  (Read 679 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you guy's deal with wind?
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
Hmmmm, Then I guess all of the deer that I have killed over the years,with the wind blowing my scent RIGHT AT THEM, were just plain STUPID!!!!!

Sorry boys, there is no constant..... EVERYTHING is variable when it comes to deer hunting!!!!!

If there are 2 of the MOST important things that I have learned over MANY,MANY years of deer hunting they are.....

1) ALWAYS..... Doesn't "always happen"

AND.....

2) NEVER..... Say "never"!!!!!!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
Amen Woodchucker! I've never had a good hunting area until this year. The wind is by far my biggest problem but I'm still seeing deer nearly every time out. I've had deer down wind that blew and deer down wind that did not blow. (I think the difference was how close they were and if the wind blew my scent over thier heads.) But I have had deer blow at me only twice.

3)Expect the unexcepted!

Bona
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
THANK YOU Bona!!!!!  ;)

Make that 3 things!!!!!   :thumbsup:

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
Woodchucker,    :bigsmyl:   Brother You made my day! Hardly a hunting magazine or book gets printed that doesn't have something printed about hunting the wind. Bounce here, hunt there, if this, if that. Wind from the west hunt the best from the east whatever. As a people if were told enough times something we believe it. If someone is lucky enough to kill a few big ones his way,, than it doesn't become gospel! I agree with ya brother my room has plenty of horns from stupid little deer. There is those that are successful bouncing around the woods trying to outwit brother wind. And us that accept him for what he is. We all have our ways of hunting. No one or way is better than the other. Whatever works. As far as scents. I know for a fact that a man once went to the bar, he stayed until closing. Stinking like smoke and stinking like boose. He went hunting that morning without cleaning up. He put vanilla on himself and that morning killed a monster buck walking in to him from downwind.Than brought it out to my shop to show me. I couldn't stand to smell him myself, so maybe the smell of booze got the buck drunk?? who knows?   Just boils down to one thing and that is time spent in the woods and Luck.  (Sorry boys, there is no constant..... EVERYTHING is variable when it comes to deer hunting!!!!! ) aka woodchucker, windhunter  :thumbsup:
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
Another discussion reliant upon where you hunt and the situation.

Out west; the wind can be my best friend. Wind blows your scent away; and it can be used to get you right into touching range of deer.

Now--- with a closed up a bit environment; like here when I am bear hunting over bait - the most interesting thing I have done to educate myself about wind and how it works - is to set off a smoke bomb. One of those 4th of July type smoke bombs. Set one off in your stand ( its illegal in some places to set off fireworks on forest service land- so put it in a coffee can if you have to) - and then watch that thick smoke as it goes this way and that.

Man you can learn a whole lot about wind that way! What you think the wind is doing is one thing; but watching it - that is very telling!

Another thing from the opposite train of thought on it; is if you have a treestand or ground stand set up; and are not seeing deer on trails; is to put a bottle of skunk scent in a coffee can and leave it in your stand and then go walk the deer trail. You might be surprised where you can smell the skunk scent; and where you cannot.

Whitetails will have trails that go back and forth; zig zagging in a pattern to detect danger going to and from places.
 They practice! They will follow each other; and stomp scent in spots; and really do their homework in areas that are constricted.

If you can figure out the weak spot in their system- you can have a shot.

Try the smoke bomb(s) and you might just laugh at how your stand set up is in such a wrong place; and how another stand spot maybe ten feet away is perfect.

Figure out a stand for each wind direction; and you are all done but the tagging.    :thumbsup:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
Well, Maybe Brian.....

But true swirling,shifting winds have a mind of thier own,and all of the smoke bombs and skunk scent in the world will not completely decifer them. Many times I have had the wind change 180 degrees 10-15 times in one hour. What do YOU do??? Do you move,stay put,or stay home??? (honestly) Also,remember,we are talking winds here,not gentle breezes or currents. With a predominant wind out of the west,of course you will have some shifting,but the wind is still basicly coming out of the west. BUT,on a truely swirly,windy day where you honestly haven't a clue which way the wind will blow next,either you hunt or stay home. I prefer to pick the best stand I have and roll the dice.

Over the years, I've "won" enough to know I won't be staying home!!!!!   :archer:

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
i play the wind WHEN I CAN. i only hunt weekends and if the wind ain't right, it ain't right and i'm hunting anyways. was busted today by a doe 100 yards away with the wind in my face. had a spike horn in front of me between 3-20 yards for 45 minutes last week with the wind in HIS face. play it if you can but go out and hunt REGARDLESS of which way it blows rather then wait it out. also need to figure in the rut which blows all theroies to helll as the big boys would run through a brick wall to get to the does.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline high mountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
Exactly. I dont think anybody said "forget the wind and hunt.
Anybody here will play the wind when they can...it just makes good sense. But sometimes situation arise beyond our control. If it comes down to a questionable wind or staying home...guess which one Im gonna choose?

It also depends on the area you have to play with. I typically hunt small lands. 40 to 80 acres. Its not like out west were you can drive to the next 1000 acre ranch. You have to work with what you can.
Had a doe come in from the wrong direction tonight. I was crouched under a pine on the ground. Heard her coming at a fast walk. She was on top of me before I knew what was going on. She was directly downwind of me at 15 yards.....never smelled me. I tipped her off cause I moved. I didnt have a shot in that direction anyway.

I also dont believe that once a deer busts you from scent or sight that they pack their bags and head to the next zipcode. I dont buy it.
They may be a little more weary for a few days...but theyll be back, IME.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by woodchucker:
Forget the wind..... Just HUNT!!!!!        :bigsmyl:    

Yes, there are many variables in deer hunting. I too have killed deer down wind from me. I call me lucky when that happens. I guess it all depends on what your hunting. What I mean is, if your targeting a specific deer and he busts you, then the gig is up for that stand(not all the time, but alot of the time). If you just hang a stand and hunt whatever wanders by on a trail, then by all means just hunt. I have stands of this nature that I go to on bad/swirling winds. If I bump a deer then so be it. But I will not hunt my "GOOD" stands on a swirling wind when I'm on a particular buck. I am fortunate to have enough land to hunt to do this. I understand others may not. Regardless of your situation, use common sense when placing and hunting a stand.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
I have very few spots where deer only come from one direction. Usually, they can come from a number of different trails and directions, so I hunt regardless of the wind direction.

I do set up my stands however with preveiling wind directions in mind.

Offline high mountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by leatherneck:

quote:
Originally posted by woodchucker:
Forget the wind..... Just HUNT!!!!!         :bigsmyl:      

Yes, there are many variables in deer hunting. I too have killed deer down wind from me. I call me lucky when that happens. I guess it all depends on what your hunting. What I mean is, if your targeting a specific deer and he busts you, then the gig is up for that stand(not all the time, but alot of the time). If you just hang a stand and hunt whatever wanders by on a trail, then by all means just hunt. I have stands of this nature that I go to on bad/swirling winds. If I bump a deer then so be it. But I will not hunt my "GOOD" stands on a swirling wind when I'm on a particular buck. I am fortunate to have enough land to hunt to do this. I understand others may not. Regardless of your situation, use common sense when placing and hunting a stand.

Mike
Hehheh..well, ya got me on that one, lol.
But seriously..I think we all share the same sentiment. Play the wind if you can, but if you cant..do the best you can.

And your right about targeted animals. I rarely if ever hunt a specific deer. Just not my thing..and not really too likely to be done round here anyway. But if I was after a bruiser, and had a perfect setup for him...Id wait till perfect wind for that for sure.

And I call myself lucky after EVERY deer Ive taken,lol.
Sure...Ive done alot of things to stack the odds in my favor...but Im still amazed that I ever pull it off.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
When I hunt, I hunt a "spot"..... an area with good sign,trails,rubs,scrapes etc..... Usualy I do not give much thought to wind direction, Because the wind cannot be trusted. Have I ever targeted 1 particular buck??? Actualy yes I have several times. Have they ever busted me??? Yes they have,but I won't actualy say that it was the wind. They didn't really act like they winded me(snort,blow)but the wind was blowing right at them. Did they come back after they busted me??? YOU BETCHA!!!!! (one even 3 differant times) I've got the horns on the wall to prove it!!!!!

Years of experiance has led me to doubt that a spooked buck will leave his home,he just gets alittle more careful!!!!!

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
One thing I guess I should have mentioned. It's not the deer that I see snorting, running away, looking at me that I worry about. At least I know they are there. It's the ones that wind me and slowly slip away without me seeing them.   :scared:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
Yes maybe, But then again.....

The ones who wind you and slowly slip away without you seeing them..... May never have been there to begin with.  ;)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
I have 2 farms that I hunt, one is 90 acres and the other is 100 acres, the 100 acre farm is relatively flat and I can usually hunt with a decent wind the 90 acre patch is hills and hollars and if anybody wants to try to "play the wind" have at it! HE HE!! there is not one area on that place that the wind don't change directions several times on an outing. I have had deer so close I could spit on them I'm talking 4 to 6 yards but the wind is still an aggrevation. I guess it messes with my head more than anything!! Thanks for all the feed back, Jason

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©