3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rut Activity in NC?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Rut Activity in NC?
« on: November 07, 2009, 06:55:00 AM »
I'm taking off next week to do some serious hunting here in NC. Anyone have any updates on rutting activity. I know it differs around the state, but I would like to hear what everyone has been seeing. Monday morning 11/02 in Stokes Co. I heard two BRUISERS going at it but never saw them. The same Monday evening in Forsyth Co. the bucks were still in their bachelor groups. It was only about an hours drive between stands and completely differing rut activity. What are you seeing in your part of the state.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rut Activity in NC?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »
Page,
Sent ya an e-mail!
Richard
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
Hey Page. kinda mixed reports downeast. some see bucks chasing does. some see bucks togather. etc. I think it'son the verge of busting wide open hear. Last thur and friday I saw 12 bucks and only the one doe i shot. Doe must be feeling it too as the appear to be mighty jumpy right now. Bernie hunted my place yesterday evening and saw only two yearlings. the shot never got right for him. Good luck next week. keep me posted. I'm off monday and tue (opening bear season)but I won't pass up a nice buck if I see one. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
Page in eastern Wake and Franklin counties bucks were chasing wild for the last week in Oct.Things have slowed down now with the bucks locked up with does and breeding.Should be starting now or very soon in your area.It usually runs a couple weeks later in the central season counties.Usually blackpowder week is the onset of things when bucks are looking a lot and chasing beginning.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Good luck Don. I would love to see you stick another bear. Sure would make a nice addition to John Dills "Addiction" Trophy page.

James, I hope you are right. Looks like I'm going to have a good week of it.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
Page

Eastern NC is in "RUT" But I'll be lookin for Bear with Don next week.

My moto is "any times a good time to be in the woods"

Good luck good buddy!!

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
John and Don, Best of luck to you both!!
I hope to see some pic's posted.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
In my experience, you can count on the week of the 15th of Nov. to be close to the peak of the rut in Eastern N.C.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
Have not seen any chasing at all.  My son and I were rattling at dawn today and the only buck we saw was running away like a chicken.....
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
Northwestern should get rolling with the latest cold snap. Not a lot of activity up to now, seen lots of does and no bucks chasing. The few bucks seen were adolescents, no mature bruisers yet.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
Page I have been seeing small bucks looking and Friday I saw 2 small bucks chasing. Yesterday opening day of muzzleloader here the bigger bucks seemed to be moving more. I have been seeing more activity in the mornings.Good luck Lee

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
Thanks Guys! I'll try to keep this thread updated through the week. Hopefully I will see some good activity tomorrow.

Best of luck to John Dill and Batman tomorrow!!!

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
I was out yesterday in Hoke County, and didn't see any activity.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
Cant keep the bears off me to even see a deer - seriously!

Come next week wont see a bear period (season).

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
Saw a nice 8pt this morning(100 inches or so) in Stokes County. He was behind my tree and didn't offer a shot. Other than being alone he didn't seem to be rutting. I have seen alot of bachelor groups this year. Other than pausing, the doe bleat didn't phase him. I'll be hunting northern Forsyth Co this evening.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
Page:

As you know...I just got back from KY on Sunday night.  It wasn't full-bore there...and I expect them to be ahead of us.

If it's happening, here, it's happening at night....and they're doing a darned good job of hiding their sign.  I'm expecting the weekend and next week to be the time to see more mature animals.

Sorry!

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
Only saw a doe last night in Forsyth. Saw several deer on the way back to Stokes this am, but none from the stand.....looks like the rain has set in for now. Starting to see some scrapes.

Offline nchunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
I shot an 8pt buck with my flintlock in Stanly County yesterday.  He stank some, but his tarsals weren't black.  I've been hunting Union and Stanly Counties this week and last, and have seen no chasing, and have not had any luck rattling.

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
I'm working today. Can't see waisting a vacation day in this weather. I'll give it a few days and try again later.

Offline shakeyslim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
haven't seen rut activity in central va yet----- was out last nite till dark saw a cpl bucks just grazing does with them but no interreaction
a hippie taught me to hunt
i left 1971 way back in 1971

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©