3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ABowyer Brown Bear heads  (Read 772 times)

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
ABowyer Brown Bear heads
« on: November 07, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
I am going to try the ABowyer Brown Bear heads tonight. I have them flying very good out to 40 yards. Has anyone taken any game with them? If so how did they perform?

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ABowyer Brown Bear heads
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
Gil,

Haven't got to put them too use yet.  I have my arrows setup with lighter heads right now and need to get stiffer shafts for the big boys.

Mine are earmarked for some big hogs early next year and an appointment with a moose in Alaska in September.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
Mike I have to admit they seem higher quality. They passed the spin test the very first time. They fly like field points. Hopefully tonight I will give you a report. I am heading out right now. I will let you know how they do if I get the oportunity.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
I bought six of the Brown Bears for my moose hunt. While getting ready I shot one through the metal leg of a 3-D target and it didn't bend just dulled the edges.I'm impressed. Never got to shoot a moose but shot this buck on Tuesday with one. The arrow missed the spine and went down through the goods. Lots of damage inside and came out the belly. I don't know if I will ever shoot a different broadhead.

Bob

" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Dang Wapiti,
Did you pin him to the ground?
What a shot angle!  I hunt from a tree seat about 2 feet off the ground, I shot a doe last weekend and the arrow went UP through her!
Great shooting, congrats!
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
I was impressed with the performance of the brown bear. I shot a moose back in sept, trailed it for a whole six yards. quickest kill i've ever had. great broadhead. the only complaint i have would be they corrode quickly. it would be nice if they were made from stainless steel.

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
John, LOL no it didn't pin him. Arrow was sticking out the bottom and broke off when he dropped it pushed it up a little.

Jeanpaul, That's why I didn't get my moose you did ! Very nice bull. One day....
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline mlmealey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
I shot my Cape buffalo with a Brown Bear excellent head you can't go wrong.
IBA life member
PBS regular member
Compton TB member

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
Well I didn't get a chance to test one tonght, but from the responses whitetail won't have a chance. Maybe tomorrow I will have my own test results. They sure fly great, now I just need something to shoot at. Had two small does and a small buck come in, no shooters though.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
I have been looking into them.  I have been worried about the 2 blade head.  I have had trouble in the past with 2 blade heads not leaving good blood trails.  The fat Iowa deer tend to plug the thin slit holes when I get a pass trough.  I shoot stingers w/ bleeders now.  Would like to increase my BH weight.  Anyone have problems with their blood trails?
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
Abowyer makes great broadheads, bought 3 whitetails and was so impressed with the quality and the way they flew, bought another 6. Still waiting for the "deaf,dumb and blind" deer to cross my path in the woods.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
Shot an elk with one in Sept. Great results with near pass through into the far shoulder from a 54 pound bow.

One negative and this may be on me.I have always been a file guy but I sharpened these heads using a stone and honing oil. The heads sharpened up nice and easy but after a few days the paint became very tacky and would rub off to the touch. I ended up wire brushing off all of the paint . Lesson learned- if you use honing oil make sure you don't leave any on the broadhead.
DonD

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
I practice with these heads every day. I shoot them better than my field tips, I think because I concentrate harder with the broadhead up front. I had been passing up deer all season, now I want to test the Brown Bear and the deer must know it because they are not cooperating. Figures.

I am shooting a 60# Jack Harrison El Lobo, with a CX heritage 150 with 350 grains up front. The arrow total weight is 675. Man with the Brown Bear broadheads up front, I better make sure there aren't any deer on the other side of the one I shoot or else I am going to get a twofer.

If they cooperate I will let you know how it turns out.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Shot my first deer with brown bear today at 5:19 pm. It was a small doe but the shot was good. I heard her crash not far away. the shot was just a tad high and was about 12yds. I can't complain about the blood trail at all. Just walked beside the blood to the dead deer. 47lb recurve with 459gn arrow weight. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2009, 07:42:00 AM »
Katie,

Two blades are fine for blood trails and the Abowyer Brown Bears are great heads.  With an EFOC arrow of significant weight you should have the horsepower to get the exit wound, you'll have no problem.

Blood trails are all about the exit wound when shooting from a tree.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »
Bob, nice looking deer and bow. Is that a Centaur? What is your setup?    BILL

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
Great heads, sharpen to hair-popping level quickly and re-sharpen just as quickly.

The ferrule is 5/16" I believe.  I had to grind down my adaptors to get them to fit all the way in the ferrule.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
Same here  Jason
Bull

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
Dang Bob, can you believe he called your Morrison a Centaur??  :eek:  ?? I'm sure you will forgive him.
  :saywhat:  

again, nice job!   :thumbsup:  

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©