3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best for the $ trail cam  (Read 660 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best for the $ trail cam
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
Brian it's both. Don't fall into the camera makers pixel foo-foo dust wars. a 3 pixel camera can take as good or better photos as a 8 pixel camera and does have a lot to do with the lens. The more pixels a photo has just allows you to print it larger with less grain. With trail cam pics its not really an issue as you probably aren't going to make any posters out of your trail cam picts. A large pixel photo also takes longer for the camera to process that image. Not to mention when you download them to your computer and want to email them. I have a leaf river 6 megapixel camera at home that takes terrible quality photos and they take forever to download. I then have to shrink them all to email or use on the computer. Which I wouldn't mind doing if they were crystal clear.

Todd get the fastest trigger speed you can get. Under 1-1/2 seconds is critical if you ask me. Thing is a lot of these camera makers won't tell you is will the camera take other photos while the first shot is processing and how long does thier camera take to process an image at all resolutions.

Delay settings. the delay setting will depend on where you have the camera. If you have it out over a salt lick or feed station as they do a lot of in Texas you may want it on a longer delay because there will be many deer using the spot. If its set up on a natural funnel I would want the shortest delay possible say maybe 1 second. The key is to get a camera that gives you the most options.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
Another very important issue is a burst mode. Which means can the camera take multiple shots when triggered. This is very important because a lot of times if a camera only takes one shot while that buck walks in front of it, he may be turned wrong or his heads down in the grass, behind a tree, or he snaps his head around fast and your picture is blurry. The burst mode will take multiple picts in a short time. Allowing you to get the angle you need to see all those points on his rack.

I'm here to tell ya, just get the covert.

Check this out  http://dlccovert.com/friends.html
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
I agree with TJ on all counts.  I left my ScoutGuard out for months last year in Iowa; I much prefer it to my Cuddeback.  I am going to keep an eye out for sales on the Bushnell though.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
I checked out some info on them.  It appears the ScoutGuard and covert are the same units.  It also looks like the Bushnell is very comparable with some possible advantages like the warrantee.  The only problem is when I checked Cabelas the Bushnell didn't get rave The Moultrie Gamespy I40 was no better.  I would love to see several hundred user reviews of the ScoutGuard and Covert 1.  I am thinking they all get some bad reviews.  I found a lot of the issues were out of the box or after about a year.  Makes me think a good return police and a longer warrantee is not a bad way to go.  From what I have found so far for my price range it will be the ScoutGuard/Covert 1 or the Bushnell.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
I have a couple of the Scoutguards. The first deployment was 2 weeks and I never got a picture plus the batterys were completely dead. I called Scoutguard and left a message as they did not answer their phone. They were supposed to call me back within a few hours. That never happened and I left another message with the same results. I finally emailed them and received an answer 3 days later. They ask what kind of SD cards I was using and said I should get some Sandisk brand. Well I was using the Kingston cards that came with the cameras so off to Walmart and bought some Sandisk cards AND new batteries. The cameras have worked fine since and take great pics and video. I have heard that Covert has terrible customer service and that is the reason I got Scoutguards but their service is lacking also.

I have to say I am completely satisfied with the cameras performance now but why did the cameras come with SD cards that were not compatible in the first place?
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
Love my Scoutguard, won't have anything else. Months of battery life, quick trigger, good resolution, easy to hide. Mine's set for a three-shot burst, and takes the pictures a couple of seconds apart. Like KentuckyTJ said, that's a valuable feature.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
Ok last question.  Where is the best place to buy a Covert 1 for price and service?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
Todd, I've p.m. you
www.zipperbows.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©