3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another first trad kill  (Read 541 times)

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
Another first trad kill
« on: November 08, 2009, 01:49:00 AM »
I harvested my first animal with traditional gear tonight.  I'm not much of a story teller so this probably won't take long, but I will share a bit.
I've bow hunted for 20 years with a compound and after one of my hunting partners converted to a longbow I toyed with the idea of making the switch also. Frankly, I wasn't enjoying shooting as much as I used to. Last year I picked up a like new Pearson Rouge recurve 45@28.  I don't think it had been shot more than a few dozen times since it was made back in the late 70's and for the Goodwill price of $20.00 I thought what the heck, I'll give it a try.  Last January I started shooting in a indoor league made up of about 30 compound shooters and 3 trad shooters.  I quickly found out a few things. First, I was not a natural trad bow shooter, in fact I stunk big time. I didn't always hit the bale the target was on, much less the target.  Second, I was having more fun shooting a bow than I had in the last 10 years.  I then stumbled on to Trad Gang while doing a bit of internet searching.  I was amazed at the wealth of information available.  It did not take long for me to be even more impressed by the quality of character that was repeatedly revealed in post after post by so many of the members of this site.  It wasn't long before I started sending fairly large sums of money to people I had never met, or swapped bows with someone clear across the country and I had no doubt that they would deliver as promised. Guess what... they did.  I've received bows from Oklahoma to South Carolina and eaten world class cookies from New Jersey.  I thank all of you for the help you have unknowingly provided this old new trad shooter and for the pleasure I receive when you share your life experiences.
I did say I shot something tonite didn't I...... enough rambling!  I'll give the cold hard facts after I take out the garbage.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline philil

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another first trad kill
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 02:55:00 AM »
Congratulations   :clapper:

Well done!
Bowfishing is a teamsport!

One shooting, the others saying: "Over the top"!

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 04:22:00 AM »
My buddy Darren(Elktalker) and I have access to a nice little hilltop property that has a few blacktails on it.  Once elk season is over we start thinking about deer hunting and this place is close to home.  Darren is a hunting machine and one of the best shots at live animals that I have been around.  He works hard at it and has earned the success he has had.  He first started shooting trad a couple of years ago and is the main reason I decided to give it a try.
Saturday morning we went up to this property to check a trail camera he has set up.  There is a very nice blacktail buck that lives here and Darren jumped him several times last year without getting a shot. This year he is going to try a tree stand when the season opens back up in a couple of weeks.  I tagged along with him because I have an antlerless tag that can be used now.  We saw a doe in a small apple orchard just as it was getting light enough to shoot.  She was way more interested in apples than she was in me, so I was able to get within about 15 yards of her.  I have been practicing religously since January and feel very comfortable shooting out to about 25 yards, so this was a slam dunk. Now, if she had been 30yds my hunt would have been over.  Since she wasn't my shot went about a foot over her back.  I've watched videos of whitetails and seen them drop at the shot.  This blacktail didn't do that.  She never twitched until the arrow hit the ground well beyond her.  Then she slowly walked away and out of my life.  I think I was flock shooting.  I certainly don't remember picking a spot.  We went down to check the trail camera and found a couple of good places to put tree stands for Mr. Big and then I went home to lick my wounds.
It has been raining hard of and on in our part of the state for the last few days, and it absolutely poured starting around 10am. At about 2:30 Darren called and said since it was raining so hard he thought we should go do some indoor practice.  Well I had proved I couldn't hit the broadside of a deer so I agreed that might be a good idea. After shooting way to many arrows we decided to call it a day and head for home.  Surprisingly, the rain had stopped and if we hurried, there was just enough light left to stop at the apple orchard again.  As it turned out, the same pretty little doe was having supper on the far end of the orchard.  It was now dusk and once again she was paying more attention to apples than she was to me.  I got to about 25 yards and her head came up and she was checking me out.  At this time, even in the low light, I could see that she recognized me.  I'm not sure, but I think I heard her snicker a little bit.  At my age my hearing isn't as good as it once was... hmmmm reminds me of a song.  Anyway, I tried to focus a little more than I had in the morning, zero'd in on the crease and the arrow kinda took off without me thinking about it to much.  Things usually work out better if I don't try to think to much.  The shot look good, but I thought maybe just a tiny bit low.  She staggered hard, then took off running, hit the fence, feel down, got up and was out of sight in less time than it took me to type it. Darren was able to watch it all from behind with his bino's.  We waited about 20 minutes before going to check.  Found both pieces of my arrow where she hit the fence.  It wasn't a pass through but was sticking out on both sides when she was running away.  It was fairly dark by now but with the use of his hand held 747 landing light, Darren found her on the trail a short ways ahead.  The shot hit right where it ought to, proving once again that even a blind hog can root out an acorn once an a while.  She went just 45 yards before expiring.  She was a beautiful mature doe.  For me, when I first approach an animal I have harvested, the emotions I feel are always bitter sweet.  We took the time to thank the One who created all for this gift, that we did not take lightly.
Here are some vital statistics.
Thunderhorn Heartstopper (its a beauty and shoots even better) 53# @ 28", 30" CE Terminator Hunter Select 45-60 shaft, 50 grain brass insert, 200gr Muzzy Phantom (no bleeders) total arrow weight 600gr+-.
Darren got a few pictures. He said he will post them on here tomorrow.
Me... I'm sold on trad, it's not easy, but it's well worth it.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 05:41:00 AM »
Great read to start the day, you said a lot in a few words. Thank you and congratulations!

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 06:45:00 AM »
Very well told!

Congrats on your first trad!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
Congradulations!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
Nice shooting!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Well told tale!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
Well Done!!

Way to go back and get a taste of the dog that bit you.  I've missed and gone back to redeem myself on a few occasions.  It is always a great feeling to get it done.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
Good job!!  :thumbsup:

Offline elktalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
Good Times, I'm glad I could share your first trad harvest.

The shot looks a little far forward, but it wasn't. The deers leg was back at time of shot. Great Shot!!!

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Congradulations-Hap

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Longbow Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
Congrats and very nicely told   :clapper:
Death Before Dinner.  God is my camera man.   I Love Motorcycles and I Love Bow Hunting But I don't Mix The two I don't put wheels on my Bows

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
Congrats and nice shot.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
The first is always special, Congrats!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing a great story. I am still looking to get my first and the coming 21st I'll be back out there at it. Thanks for the motivation to "Get R Done" as the saying goes.

Congratulations!!   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
Nice job!

:thumbsup:

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
congrats ,  nice doe
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©