3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: November 8th!! Maybe the best day of the year!!  (Read 545 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: November 8th!! Maybe the best day of the year!!
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
Im with Guru this time.Today was a beautiful day to be in the woods but not to kill a deer.I tried though, sat for 6 hours.Even though bucks are chasing around here right now I think the 60 degree weather trumped chasing the ladies.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
Well, I'm off all this week and plan on gettin' after'em hard! A good friend of mine who has his own huntin' land about 45 miles from me, killed his first buck with his wheelie bow yesterday evening. It was an 8 pointer. I will be out there some day this week with my Beeler LB trying to add more mojo to it. Also, I have two more properties in mind to hunt this week before gun season opens next Saturday. Still got a hot buck tag waiting for meat with antlers!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
total of 7 hours in the stand today saw 1 fawn right a dark. Tomorrow has got to be better. 71 degrees hear today.

doug77

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
I pulled an all day(er)- sun up to sun down in the stand, didn't see squat-so much for Nov. 8th.  It was a beautiful day though, actually too beautiful, 70+ degrees in November is great, but not optimal for deer moving.
My son ended up seeing a nice fat 6 pointer (right at 12 noon), but couldn't get a shot. Proud of him, it was his first time sticking it out all day in the tree - never came down- ate, drank, and peed up there.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »
Guru asked....Dave, Just wondering what you base your thoughts on?

Well Curt, not much really... Plain old past luck and superstition mainly.  Killed my first bow buck on November 8th back in PA years ago and it became my instant "favorite" day.  Over the years though, I have had good luck on that day and here in MO anyway, it's right in the peak time of the rut for activity.  

I suppose the fact that for years I've taken a week off work to hunt somewhere in that time of November hasn't hurt my "opinion".  Like Charlie said, just being in the woods is a good time and after years of making sure I was hunting that time of year, I've had plenty of opportunity to see deer on that day.  If I'd always taken my vacation in the last week of October, my favorite day might be halloween....
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 05:22:00 AM »
The 8th was pretty good for me. Nothing where or what I wanted to shoot but saw more that day than the previous two weeks.

Nov 7 has always been my day  with more shot then than any other with 90 percent shot between the 7th and the 15th. I didnt get to go on the 7th but "that time" is here!

Corn is coming out, more moving, bucks have their noses to the ground but does arent receiving yet for the most part but this is the week...I hope. lol

A buddy saw 5 bucks the 8th. He's in a better spot and picky, lol.

Weather is too warm for my taste but rain off and on this week so Ill be out there.

Still hoping for just once,.....a really nice one on Friday the 13th   :pray:  

Last day of early bow season (firearm on Saturday) and Howard Hill's (mine too) birthday and on "unlucky" Friday the 13th?  It would be a great memory......but aren't they all?

My birthday only comes on Friday and the end of bow season every several years. Just once!! Next opportunity wont be till 2015!!

DID see something REALLY odd I thought on the 7th. I drove to a nearby town. Three bucks *(one a HONEY) were in the middle of a hay field next to the road around a doe. Bucks had their ears back, heads lowered just eyeballing each other.  The ODD part was that when I came back 15 minutes later, all four were bedded down in the middle of the hay field, bright sunshine, all about 20 yards apart.

"Hey Guys? Let's fight when the lady WILL accept the winner..IM TIRED!"    :biglaugh:  

God Bless.
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
I hope to get out on Veteran's Day so maybe that will be a "good day"...
(was out the 6th,too warm and too windy...)  :(

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
This morning was pretty good! I saw 3 different bucks and 3 different does before 7:45 AM. The biggest buck was a 2.5 year old 100" 8 pt that was scent checking 2 of the does. I wanted him to grow another year. My wife had me on a meat quest so I was lucky and took a good sized spike and a big mature doe with my TimberHawk Falcon T/D longbow. Still made it to work by 9 AM.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
Indianabowman said:

My wife had me on a meat quest so I was lucky and took a good sized spike and a big mature doe with my TimberHawk Falcon T/D longbow. Still made it to work by 9 AM.

Dang Terry, I'm in awe!   A morning "two-fer" and still at work by 9:00am... You must be good, fast AND hunting practically out your back door.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
Dave, I agree with you since the buck in my avatar was shot on November 8th. I did sit about 7 hours yesterday and didn't see anything too big. I did see one little 5x4 chasing a doe though so looks like the rut is starting up a little. I am hoping to do an all day sit on Wednesday since our office is closed for Veteran's Day. Good luck to all you TradGangers out there! The next couple of weeks should be good!  :thumbsup:
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
I agree with Charlie also.Bucks are running hard here in KC. Wish it would cool off a little. Orange army will be out in a week or so.Learning that the more I hide myself on the ground the less I can see and hearuntil they get right in front of me. Frustrating, Had a 180 class 10 point rubbing a tree at 15 steps directly in front of me the other day. He made me when I tried to raise my bow into position to shoot.

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
Time to get the lone wolf climber dusted off and back into use.

Offline ed burgholzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
i'd say nov.7th. got a nice 8 pointer this saturday. last four years i've killed a buck on nov.3 ,4 5th and 7th.....
Ed Burgholzer

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
I don't know. I sat all day Sat and most of the day Sun with out seeing a single deer. Next 2 weekends are rifle so unless I can take off work a little early this week I'm done untill Thanksgiving weekend.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©