3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help me choose a broadhead  (Read 371 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Help me choose a broadhead
« on: November 09, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
Since my hunting season this year is a total washout for family health reasons, I'm planning on visiting friends in early September in northern Vermont. Bear season. I use carbon arrows so I'm looking for a two blade, screw in model that even a dummy like me can easily sharpen.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me choose a broadhead
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
They are really expensive but the ashby's from alaska bowhunting are supposed to be razor shrp out of the box.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
You didn't give a grain weight.There are a lot of good broadheads and you have plenty of time and resources here to improve your sharpening skills.

Another option would be Magnus Stingers that come pre-sharpened.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
Like a woman, a broadhead has to be what you want and a personal preference and together you come to a marriage.But you will get an idea from the best here.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
Why not shoot a 3 blade Snuffer, easy to sharpen and will kill aything on the planet. SHAWN
Shawn

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
Woodsman elite
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
zwicky eskimo easily sharpened with a carbide sharpener fly well and 2 blade broadheads are more likely to slip between the ribs jmo
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
There is a good choice of two blades out there but for what your discribing, I'd go with the Abowyer heads.  They are near shaving sharp and only take a minute or two to bring up to OMG sharp.

Not the cheapest head but way less expensive then the Ashbys.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Personally, for 2 blade or 4 blade heads, I like the entire Zwickey line. They're easy to get incredibly sharp very fast. If you invest in the Razorsharp Edgemaking System that Alaska Bowhunting Supply now carries, it'll make the job of sharpening that much easier and faster...not to mention it'll put a wicked edge on your broadheads!

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
I do like the Alaska Samurai 150 grain head. Thanks for the tips guys. Man it's a long way to September.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
zwicky eskimo easily sharpened with a carbide sharpener fly well and 2 blade broadheads are more likely to slip between the ribs jmo
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
Agree - been shooting zwikee eskimo for many years.  Just takes a little time to make a longer taper the first time you sharpen them.  After that they are easy.  

I bought some Elcispe broad heads a while back. They are about the same.  Didn't take much to put an edge on them.  I will be trying them next week in Texas shooting javelina.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©